North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
WARNING - Dogs poisoned on a Northumberland Beach (Warkworth) pls read. EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
WARNING - Dogs poisoned on a Northumberland Beach (Warkworth) pls read. EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
WARNING - Dogs poisoned on a Northumberland Beach (Warkworth) pls read. EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
WARNING - Dogs poisoned on a Northumberland Beach (Warkworth) pls read. EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
WARNING - Dogs poisoned on a Northumberland Beach (Warkworth) pls read. EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
WARNING - Dogs poisoned on a Northumberland Beach (Warkworth) pls read. EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
WARNING - Dogs poisoned on a Northumberland Beach (Warkworth) pls read. EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
WARNING - Dogs poisoned on a Northumberland Beach (Warkworth) pls read. EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
WARNING - Dogs poisoned on a Northumberland Beach (Warkworth) pls read. EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

WARNING - Dogs poisoned on a Northumberland Beach (Warkworth) pls read.

Go down 
AuthorMessage

WARNING - Dogs poisoned on a Northumberland Beach (Warkworth) pls read. Empty
PostSubject: WARNING - Dogs poisoned on a Northumberland Beach (Warkworth) pls read.   WARNING - Dogs poisoned on a Northumberland Beach (Warkworth) pls read. EmptyMon 3 Dec - 0:21

Dogs poisoned on a Northhumberland beach
When: 2012-02-12 10:52:00 -0800
Where: Warkworth, Northumberland NE65, UK

Details:
Police have been combing a north Northumberland beach after at least two dogs were poisoned in separate incidents. Both dogs walked on the beach dunes between Alnmouth and Warkworth at Buston Links estuary, which is managed and owned by National Trust.

Whispa, a young lurcher owned by Margaret Bignell, was struck with convulsions requiring emergency vet treatment after being walked on dunes ten days ago. And last Thursday, John Hobrough’s six-year-old collie-cross Benji suffered exactly the same symptoms after visiting the same spot.

Mrs Bignell, who runs a bed and breakfast in Warkworth, said: “We had been walking on the beach and across the dunes and I heard Whispa crunching on something. Within 10 minutes, she looked absolutely terrified and began convulsing and foaming at the mouth. A couple who were nearby helped me carry her to the car park and she was taken to Alnorthumbria Vets in Alnwick, who confirmed she had been poisoned. It was horrible and I never want any pet owner to experience anything like this."

Whispa received intensive treatment to flush the unknown toxin out of her system and has since made a full recovery. “I have to say a big thanks to the vets, who were excellent and undoubtedly saved my dog’s life.”

Just days later, Dr Hobrough, also from Warkworth, was on the dunes when his dog Benji also convulsed. “We had been walking for about 40 minutes when my dog started having convulsions,” he said. “It was like a great electric shock going through him. It was very frightening."

“What worries me, as an ecologist, is that there were also a number of dead rabbits on the path that day, which suggests something noxious may be in what is a very delicate food chain. People should be wary, as this is clear evidence that something is wrong down there.” Benji was also treated at Alnorthumbria Vets and recovered after two days.

David Young, of Alnorthumbria Veterinary Group, said: “The symptoms are similar to those caused by slug pellets but we can’t say for certain, but they behaved as if it might have been. We saw two dogs last Sunday and last Thursday. Both dogs were having convulsive fits within 10 minutes of picking something up. Both were kept in and hospitalised, put on drips and given valium and diazepam. After being on a drip for a while they improved.”

He added: “You don’t expect to find slug pellets on a beach in winter, you’d find them in a garden in spring, but the symptoms are like those you get with slug-pellet poisoning. It is possible it could be something washed up, but I can’t think off the top of my head what that could be. At this stage, without finding a source, it is difficult to speculate what it might be. It is certainly something that can be metabolised in 12 to 24 hours.”

A spokeswoman for Northhumbria Police said: “We received a report of three dogs having been poisoned on the beach. Officers attended the scene and closed the beach as a precaution. Following inquiries with local vets, it was discovered that two of the dogs may have ingested slug pellets.”

Both the police and National Trust searched the beach area but found nothing. They are advising dog owners to keep their dogs under close control while out walking

AS PER ARTICAL ON Dog Heirs.com
Back to top Go down

WARNING - Dogs poisoned on a Northumberland Beach (Warkworth) pls read.
Page 1 of 1