North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bigup1983

Bigup1983

Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? Empty
PostSubject: Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....?   Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? EmptyFri 15 Mar - 21:24

Just a daft question but I can't find the answer and it's annoying me!!

Wastegate flutter ---- been reading up on it and people are saying to get rid of it you can adjust the actuator arm to stop the flutter.

Now I'm assuming by shorten the arm its going to be harder to vent gases away from the turbo which is going to cause problems with the turbo. So by doing the 'actuator mod' does it still allow the gas to be vented normally? Suspect Or am I missing summit, does it still vent no problems just stops the noise?

I'm not looking at carrying out the mods or anything just came across the info and can't wrap my head round it... scratch
Back to top Go down
bazpro88

bazpro88

PostSubject: Re: Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....?   Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? EmptySat 16 Mar - 9:53

i thought all shortening the actuator rod does is up the boost.
thats what i used to do on cozzys, rs turbos ect.
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....?   Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? EmptySat 16 Mar - 10:51

The actuator arm on the VF35 and all IHI turbos is not adjustable so you won't be able to do it.

By shortening an actuator are you are restricting the amount of gas the waist gate can pass, this raises boost level.

You are barking up the wrong tree as to " waist gate chatter noise" the sound is in fact the air being forced back through the compressor side of the turbo when the throttle flap is closed, to stop the noise you need to fit a recerculating dump valve, this vents the air back into the intake tract stopping it going back through the turbo.

You hear the flutter noise more when you have a induction kit or front mounted intercooler.

The best thing to stop it is a standard air box with inner wing resonator and the standard dumpvalve.
Back to top Go down
Bigup1983

Bigup1983

PostSubject: Re: Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....?   Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? EmptySat 16 Mar - 14:35

Cheers,

So it will simply not vent enough and raise boost.

I'm not looking into to stopping it on my car, I simply came across people talking about it on SN....

It seams drastic in order to get rid of a noise. That's what I cant get my head round, you seam to be solving a problem by creating a problem. If you see the noise as a problem and/or your see more boost as a problem. If I'm making sense.

Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....?   Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? EmptySat 16 Mar - 14:50

Shortening the arm or lengthening it wont make any difference to the flutter noise, they mistakenly think the actuator/waste-gate makes the noise, it doesn't Laughing

Typical scoobynet, you will do well to take everything you read on there with a pinch of salt Wink
Back to top Go down
Bigup1983

Bigup1983

PostSubject: Re: Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....?   Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? EmptySat 16 Mar - 15:47

Jonny Gav wrote:
Shortening the arm or lengthening it wont make any difference to the flutter noise, they mistakenly think the actuator/waste-gate makes the noise, it doesn't Laughing

Typical scoobynet, you will do well to take everything you read on there with a pinch of salt Wink

It's not just SN mate if you read on the web about it one site will say your engine is going to blow up,, next site says your turbo is goosed and then the next site will say wastegate flutter is a myth.

One also had a video of turbo chatter titled as 'wastegate flutter'. I read it thinking that kid must have been gutted when he went out and bought a de-cat down pipe, induction kit and then got it remapped.. cos it's not going to sound like that! (Was an old post, so couldn't have stopped him Wink )

Your right thou, there is some real advice to be had on ScoobyNet if your prepared to wade through pages of bull to get to it
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....?   Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? EmptySat 16 Mar - 16:14

It's the nature of the Internet mate, lots of people talking about stuff they don't understand Laughing

It's a real shame about scoobynet, I myself haven't posted on there for a good while due to the trolls, I really can't be bothered to argue with people on subjects they don't fully understand, it didn't used to be like that in the early days (around 10 years ago).

A lot of the knowledge that used to be the life blood of scoobynet are either running businesses or don't bother posting due to trolls.
Back to top Go down
Marshffs

Marshffs

PostSubject: Re: Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....?   Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? EmptyFri 12 Apr - 20:19

How can i adjust my TD04 actuator? Its only boosting at 0.5. Or is it best for a pro to do it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....?   Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....? Empty

Back to top Go down

Stupid wastegate/actuator question winding me up....?
Page 1 of 1