North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!

Go down 
+3
Jonny Gav
olly*
LouiHerbert
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LouiHerbert

LouiHerbert

Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! Empty
PostSubject: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySat 6 Jul - 9:31

I havent been on for a while. Have been trying to get back on my feet. Just got back into work after the Impreza broke and have been focusing on debt but I have thought... fook my debt for now, I need my car back on the road!!!

Its booked in the garage for Monday to whip the turbo off and see if its the turbo, or if not then diagnose the problem. It went with a loud noise. Earlier that day it went a bit stuttery on boost.

Here's the video anyway, I think its the turbo but other people have different opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y74P1xjhEpo

Its a JonnyGav 18g TD05, also Jonny if you read this sorry it has taken so long to pull my finger out I PM'd you about it around 2-3 months ago and have only just got round to it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/louimfc
olly*

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySun 7 Jul - 10:55

yeah turbo is suspect some of the smoke is because you have boost pipe off
Back to top Go down
olly*

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySun 7 Jul - 10:56

is the turbo spinning? no blue smoke says turbo bearings should be ok
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySun 7 Jul - 11:33

What?.....

How do you come up with that? Do you know anything at all about turbos???

Loui, I hope for your sake it is the turbo as its a lot cheaper fix.

Looking forward to seeing it, it's the 1st one of my turbos to fail if it is.

Make sure you check the hard oil feed pipe going to the top of the turbo for kinks, this starves oil supply to the turbo causing bearing failure, form the look of the vid you are getting oil down the exhaust line, this can come from 2 main sources, turbo oil seal, or worst case engine.

When the turbo comes off it should be clear to see if its one or the other, if the inside of the up pipe is oil soaked then its engine, if it isn't then it's turbo.
Back to top Go down
natski

natski

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySun 7 Jul - 12:02

Class post by Jonny Very Happy

Loui I hope you get it sorted out buddy fingers crossed for tomorrow Smile
Back to top Go down
LouiHerbert

LouiHerbert

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySun 7 Jul - 12:54

Im ofto check the oil line now. The symptoms are pointing towards the turbo too. The smoke was bad on tickover and low rev driving but when the boost would have kicked in the smoke was unreal!

The pipe was off just to see if the rattle got louder or not.

Il get back to you all tomorrow with some pictures and info.

Pleaseeee be the turbooooooo!!!!!
Back to top Go down
olly*

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySun 7 Jul - 17:07

tbh weve had several cars come in this year with similar symptoms on his vid smoke looks white gray and black not blue if it was blue id suggest either turbo oil seals etc or rings and like you said check the up pipe once turbo is removed we have a turbo here that had a bit of a bolt holding turbine and occasionally coming loose and rattling round in there god knows where bolt came from but as smoke didnt look blue to me i suggested some things to help find the fault i have separatly been told to get in touch with you johnny as we do loads of turbo upgrades and you come recommended as a good supplier
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySun 7 Jul - 17:12

Sorry mate I don't supply turbos to business, only to members of NESF.

Please be aware to advertise on this site you have to be a authorised trader.

That includes mentioning your business in posts too.

Jonny.
Back to top Go down
olly*

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySun 7 Jul - 17:15

ahh how come you dont sell em ?
Back to top Go down
jonesy81

jonesy81

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySun 7 Jul - 17:22

He does to nesf members mate read post
Back to top Go down
olly*

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySun 7 Jul - 17:40

lol i meant to business and for other clubs etc i know a few lads on wyscoobs that would buy them etc
Back to top Go down
natski

natski

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySun 7 Jul - 17:42

olly* wrote:
ahh how come you dont sell em ?

Cos there too god damn good to have every man and his dog owning one..

Back to top Go down
jonesy81

jonesy81

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySun 7 Jul - 17:54

I think but johnny will correct if I am wrong it's just a hobby and just trying to help lads on forum not get there eyes taken out
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySun 7 Jul - 18:06

Jonesy is 100% correct, I have a full time job, a forum and a missus, this gives me very little time to build turbos lol

Any more than 1 a fortnight is too much.
Back to top Go down
natski

natski

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySun 7 Jul - 18:34

No it's cos there too good Jonny lol!
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySun 7 Jul - 18:37

lol! if you say so mate Cool 
Back to top Go down
LouiHerbert

LouiHerbert

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptyMon 8 Jul - 22:39

Couldn't see a kink in the pipe anywhere Jonny. Started it up today and it's blue smoke. Got my ear on a screwdriver and sounded as though the rattle was in the turbo too. Should hopefully have the turbo off tomorrow bud and I will send you some photos. Also PM me your address so I can send it up to you bud.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
LouiHerbert

LouiHerbert

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptyFri 19 Jul - 20:43

Turbo is back and 100% perfect Smile It was my fault! I thought I had lost a nut somewhere and it turns out it had fallen down the up pipe and was sat in my headers and then it's shot up into the turbo and fucked it!! Photos to come
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptyFri 19 Jul - 22:04

Crickey. If the turbo was smashed to bits clean out the intake system well mate just incase.
Back to top Go down
LouiHerbert

LouiHerbert

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptyFri 19 Jul - 22:09

The garage is doing so mate
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptyFri 19 Jul - 22:20

Here is a photo of what I found when I removed the rear housing -

Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! 61D545EE-3DCC-4061-9AAE-EB88A2D87DE1-1619-00000175317E026A_zpsc610bc7b

No wonder it was making a rattling noise Shocked 

All sorted now Wink Cool 
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptyFri 19 Jul - 22:29

Yikes! Much further damage internally ?
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptyFri 19 Jul - 22:33

Shitloads, it snapped the shaft at the compressor end and mashed the exhaust and comp wheels!
Back to top Go down
stevejones

stevejones

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptyFri 19 Jul - 22:46

Is that the missing exhaust nut that’s mentioned in the build thread? Lesson to us all always find that dropped/missing bolt.Wink 
Back to top Go down
LouiHerbert

LouiHerbert

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! EmptySat 20 Jul - 6:36

It sure was Steve! What were the chances of it dropping down the up pipe and into the headers without me noticing :/ Ahh well, lesson learnt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!   Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action! Empty

Back to top Go down

Im back and keen to get the Impreza back in action!
Page 1 of 1