North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
New boy needs basic guidance EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
New boy needs basic guidance EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
New boy needs basic guidance EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
New boy needs basic guidance EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
New boy needs basic guidance EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
New boy needs basic guidance EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
New boy needs basic guidance EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
New boy needs basic guidance EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
New boy needs basic guidance EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

New boy needs basic guidance

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BillWhizz

New boy needs basic guidance Empty
PostSubject: New boy needs basic guidance   New boy needs basic guidance EmptySat 19 Oct - 2:49

Hello lads n lasses.
Ive got myself a scooby Shocked Its a 2000 year, 2.0 Turbo wrx all wheel drive, Estate model. FSH only 88k on the clock so its clean and tight (any mucky comments pass on). Its completely standard also.

Already i found ive opened a can of worms when i look at the tech side of these things. So i need some basic guidance. I am a mechanical engineer so ok when it comes to doin stuff (well i think so).
I want to know a few things first off,
What is the best oil to run these on.
Best spark plugs,
Best air filter (or upgrade to K&N ?? )
Easy upgrades for that bit more power (ie the air filter, bigger intercooler) anything that can be done by ur basic spanner w**ker.
Next would be to ask about re-maps, are these easy, economical and if done does the car then need constant re-tune because of this. What are the costs and where to get it done (and properly of course) in the north east.

Brakes ! can you fit bigger disks and callipers without changing the whole leg ? (i like them big red Brembo's i seen on someone else's hehehe).

Anyway fire some suggestions my way, they will all be appreciated .

cheers all and take care out there Wink

Whizz
Back to top Go down
Mick T

Mick T

PostSubject: Re: New boy needs basic guidance   New boy needs basic guidance EmptySat 19 Oct - 21:12

For your oil and plugs get them from Alan at AS performance. Regarding mods and mapping wether you just bolt on a filter or go for a filter front mount and exhaust it will need mapped.
Back to top Go down
BillWhizz

PostSubject: Re: New boy needs basic guidance   New boy needs basic guidance EmptySat 19 Oct - 21:23

Cheers Mick T Wink
Back to top Go down
Launch Graphics

PostSubject: Re: New boy needs basic guidance   New boy needs basic guidance EmptySun 20 Oct - 11:58

Depending on the mods it may or may not 'need' mapping. Just get things like the afr's checked and make sure theres no det. Best way forward without spending a large amount of coin is to get a full decat system, panel filter (like Cosworth etc) and have it remapped to suit. The map will ensure the most performance is gained from the mods fitted and usually can better economy slightly too. You would need to pay for an Ecutek licence ontop of the remap charge to unlock the ECU Unless you can find a 2nd hand Version6 ecu that's already had its licence paid for. I would recommend Alyn at AS Performance, import car parts and Drew@Drews Autos for parts. Brembos you'd need a different rear shoe setup on the back from a newage and you'd need wheels that would accomodate the calipers.
Back to top Go down
BillWhizz

PostSubject: Re: New boy needs basic guidance   New boy needs basic guidance EmptySun 20 Oct - 21:38

Cheers LG, I messaged Drew re service, not heard back yet. If Not where do i get hold of AS Performance ?
What exhaust is system is a good one ? remember i am new an reading some of the threads on here is like deciphering nasa car boot list ! Razz
Back to top Go down
Launch Graphics

PostSubject: Re: New boy needs basic guidance   New boy needs basic guidance EmptySun 20 Oct - 21:44

Exhausts is a personal preference thing. Newage and classic sustems are interchangeable as long as it's the full system from turbo back. Some people prefer quiet subtle systems, some prefer to be loud and proud. Some wish to stay legal with cats or sports cats, others put their cats back on before MOT time (wink wink). AS Performance is in Birtley. Not sure where you're from? You may be best going to meets and seeing what others have done to their cars snd see what route you want to take.
Back to top Go down
BillWhizz

PostSubject: Re: New boy needs basic guidance   New boy needs basic guidance EmptySun 20 Oct - 22:40

Sounds good mate, Im from SUNNY SEAHAM hahah but dont hold that against me. I only moved back a yr ago, I work away so not home that often hence the older scooby i inherited. It be a waste buying a new big bucks one to sit there !
I will seek out AS, an get the thing going like, but maybe a month or 2 yet> im just startin to get the lay of the land and pickup some good info an ideas.
Cheers for the input Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New boy needs basic guidance   New boy needs basic guidance Empty

Back to top Go down

New boy needs basic guidance
Page 1 of 1