North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
decided against converting sport to turbo EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
decided against converting sport to turbo EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
decided against converting sport to turbo EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
decided against converting sport to turbo EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
decided against converting sport to turbo EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

decided against converting sport to turbo

Go down 
+5
StickT
Scooberuni
SG03RRZ
Marshffs
byronsdaddy
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
byronsdaddy

byronsdaddy

decided against converting sport to turbo Empty
PostSubject: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyThu 6 Feb - 22:05

ive decided not to convert my non turbo sport to turbo
instead m planning to see what i can get it up to keeping it n/a, while i build up enough insurance no claims too be able to insure a wrx or the like

already have fitted.....

alluminium short ram forced cold air intake with big k&n filter
front turbo brakes

thinking of....

full stainless steel exhaust including manifold and decat
lightened fly wheel
sports clutch
rear drum brake converted too disks
possible remap??

i think thats all that i can do without stripping the engine,
i was thinking of a set of cams but im unsure

anyone got any ideas too help?
Back to top Go down
Marshffs

Marshffs

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyThu 6 Feb - 22:31

With the money you would be spending on all them mods, you could keep that money, sell your car and buy a turbo. There is a way to insure a turbo as a non turbo but it aint recommended and alot of people are against it for insurance premiums going up etc. just have a shop about and get some quotes you may be surprised.
Back to top Go down
byronsdaddy

byronsdaddy

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyThu 6 Feb - 22:47

was planning on keeping the sport for the misses lol as its cheap enough to keep insured for her as a driver than insuring her on a corsa by herself, the turbo when i get it (probs be end of next year with the bills we have to pay out at the moment lol) will be my toy alone hehe! and i wouldnt insure a turbo as a non turbo its not right on others if i have an accident and end up with void insurance its bad enough at the moment that i havent declared my headlights will do it after ive taxed car next month though, takes a bit of the strain off lol
Back to top Go down
SG03RRZ

SG03RRZ

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 1:15

Might wanna uprate the anti roll bars too bud
Back to top Go down
byronsdaddy

byronsdaddy

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 2:38

nice idea was just thinking about better suspension aswell, need to get exhaust sorted as first priority as its still blowing like a trumpet, thing is the americans have a 2 part split clamp flange thingy that fixes the problem a treat but cant find them in the uk or even find to order from us lol not fair  Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad 
Back to top Go down
SG03RRZ

SG03RRZ

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 2:56

What Exhuast you got
Back to top Go down
byronsdaddy

byronsdaddy

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 3:19

2.5" cobra sport stainless steel from cat back
Back to top Go down
SG03RRZ

SG03RRZ

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 3:26

Good lad lol
Back to top Go down
byronsdaddy

byronsdaddy

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 3:29

got as a bargain too paid £120 for it off a lad in barnard castle lol just wish my cat box hadnt fell to bits when i took the old exhausy off, decat is defo on the cards asap, then stainles manifold with uneven headers will probs get crimbo out the way then hit the engine bay lol
Back to top Go down
SG03RRZ

SG03RRZ

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 3:52

Lol done and done
Back to top Go down
Scooberuni

Scooberuni

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 10:59

I've had 3 Sports so far and modified all of them. It often starts off with me saying something along the lines of "I'm not going to modify this one, I'm going to keep it standard". Then you start thinking, hmm, maybe I'll just change those orange indicators and before you know it you've spent about 2 grand lol Which could have bought you a turbo car in the first place. If you can't afford to drive a turbo'd car though then why not do a few mods to improve your car a little? One one of mine I more or less changed everything apart from the engine, it had new wheels, suspension, brakes, exhaust etc. There's a lot on the turbo cars thats exchangeable like the external body parts and the intrerior, it's just the engine thats quite a bit different. That's why I was saying that it might not be worth while doing a turbo conversion. The only way it could be worth doing would be if you knew what you were doing and could do a lot of the work yourself and if you had access to a doner vechicle.
Back to top Go down
byronsdaddy

byronsdaddy

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 11:18

i can do 99% of the work myself but havent got the time with baby etc so just going to improve the sport and eventually let the wife have it and get myself a turbo, however shes not keeping the interior lol its a series mcrae recaro interior and ive been told there rare, ive already converted the electric window wiring so the turbo door cards will go straight in lol
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 12:17

Didnt Jonny Gav get circa 157bhp out of his non turbo beasty...
Back to top Go down
Scooberuni

Scooberuni

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 12:27

How about joining some of the Facebook groups if you're looking for inspiration?
there's

ImprezaSport.net-

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/isn.group/

Impreza Sport Club-

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/498317490208715/

I can't remember if you have to be invited to join or not but me or Dave can add you if you can't access them.
Back to top Go down
Scooberuni

Scooberuni

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 12:36

StickT wrote:
Didnt Jonny Gav get circa 157bhp out of his non turbo beasty...

Yeah, Jonny Gavs car was a nice looking car for a non turbo and pretty quick aswell.

There's that guy Mike aswell who used to own this one,

decided against converting sport to turbo CIMG1966_zpse5f3a758

decided against converting sport to turbo CIMG1965_zps601a21fe

He said he'd got about 160bhp out of his.
Back to top Go down
mike green

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 12:44

I did a lot of modification to my late model classic sport and got it up to 160 BHP last time on the rolling road on standard 95 RON fuel I think it would be a bit better on 99 RON fuel and that when it was showing 165,000 miles on the clock. Below is a list of mods done to engine.

K&N GEN 2 57i induction kit.
Borla stainless steel manifold.
stainless steel sport cat in to a 2 1/4in mid section exhaust system to a Prodrive WR sports back box.
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
Heads ported and gas flowed with standard value and cams.
Lightened & balanced fly wheel.

I did look at remapping the ECU but you can not remap the sport ECU so the only options were piggy back, new ECU or may be ESL piggy back unit. But gave up will it at this point and brought a Hawkeye R Sport which can be remapped so the modification game starts all over again.
Back to top Go down
byronsdaddy

byronsdaddy

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 12:53

cool, will have a look see  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
byronsdaddy

byronsdaddy

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 12:59

was thinking of uprated fuel pump but dont know if it would help, my kid brother works in car spares so i have a pretty good resource for parts there, got my eye on a nice borla ss manifold and a decat sectionm will have to get a garage to fit them though as i dont like playing with manifold bolts lol they tend to snap on me Sad
Back to top Go down
SG03RRZ

SG03RRZ

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 14:26

Lol best thing to spend your cash on is handling and braking iv gone pretty hard on both lol
Back to top Go down
SG03RRZ

SG03RRZ

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 14:30

Could do with getting my sport on a rolling road to find out its bhp
Back to top Go down
byronsdaddy

byronsdaddy

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 17:03

will look into a dyno run after ive finished, im thinking wrx suspension as its easier to aquire and more cost effective than a half decent set of coilovers, and im not sure but i dont think the sports have a rear anti roll bar so will see about that but disk convertion first lol
Back to top Go down
Marshffs

Marshffs

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 17:08

I have full set for sale mate.
Back to top Go down
byronsdaddy

byronsdaddy

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 17:22

bankrupt till july/august lol new exhaust manifold has to come first as old one is almost ready to drop off Sad
Back to top Go down
SG03RRZ

SG03RRZ

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 17:43

They dont but you dont need much to fit them
Back to top Go down
byronsdaddy

byronsdaddy

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo EmptyFri 7 Feb - 18:30

sounds like a plan eventually lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: decided against converting sport to turbo   decided against converting sport to turbo Empty

Back to top Go down

decided against converting sport to turbo
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next