North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch?

Go down 
+2
lian&johnsti
mike2367
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mike2367

mike2367

Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? Empty
PostSubject: Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch?   Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptyWed 13 May - 16:03

i'm possibly coming back to Subaru ownership, looking at a 2008 STI hatch. i've searched all over for a "buyers guide" but all that keeps coming up is the ringland failure issues. Is there anything else i should be wary of and check out before handing the cash over, any other common faults? do they have issues with the 4wd system like Evo's do with their AYC pumps etc? if the car did have ringland issues would be it obviously apparent or can it be hidden, what would i look for?

I've spoken to Andy Kindon about forged pistons and would likely be getting that done straight away anyway for piece of mind, but would obviously rather not buy a already f*cked one.

any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Mike.
Back to top Go down
lian&johnsti

lian&johnsti

PostSubject: Re: Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch?   Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptyWed 13 May - 19:40

Love ours owned it almost 3 year now. Thank god no problems Laughing
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch?   Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptyThu 14 May - 8:10

Youve already spoken to AK, which means youve consulted someone who regularly pulls them apart and puts them back together - theres no better advice available. What I can say is that I read about all the failures before I bought mine and it didnt put me off. I could be wrong but I think there must be some user contribution to the fails. I bought mine new in Oct 2012 and its never missed a beat, apart from flattening a couple of batteries with its twatting alarm/tracker. Its been serviced appropriately. I'm not the best at checking fluids etc regularly so I wouldnt say its been overly pampered. OK, it doesnt get thrashed all the time like some cars, but I dont wrap it up in cotton wool either, I'm getting terrible for chasing things, hahaha. I know I keep banging on about wishing I had my old car back, but thats probably a bit rose tinted, Ive got to say this car is better in just about every respect and I'm damn lucky to be able to afford one. I think if you get one you'll enjoy it. There are a few on here, perhaps you can twist someones arm for a run out if you arent sure Wink
Back to top Go down
iddysti

iddysti

PostSubject: Re: Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch?   Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptyThu 14 May - 9:26

The ring land failure is very common even on standard cars. But the chances get even worse when you modify the engine. Been there got the t shirt. 

It all depends how hard the car has been driven as they can go at any time. 

I would look for an untouched one if you can, personally the face lifted 2010 onwards would be the one to go for if you can afford it. They are a total different class of car to the previous models, I've had a hawkeye and bugeye and there not a patch on the new model. 

If your thinking of forged Pistons then you will be fine with the engine. Had my engine build done 16000 miles ago and it's never missed a beat since and I do drive my car hard. If Andy is going to do it, it will be a good build. I would go a strong as you can so the engine only comes out once.
Back to top Go down
byers

byers

PostSubject: Re: Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch?   Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptyThu 14 May - 10:30

lian&johnsti wrote:
Love ours owned it almost 3 year now. Thank god no problems Laughing

Think he means if you take it over 3k revs
Back to top Go down
mike2367

mike2367

PostSubject: Re: Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch?   Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptyThu 14 May - 10:36

thanks for the advice

i could afford a 2010, and do like the facelifted front, but the car im looking at in particular is very cheap for a hatch, its only for a second car as i have a GT86 that i drive daily.

the hatch in question needs some paintwork but ive worked out that i coud buy it, do the paintwork, forge the pistons and it would still be cheaper than equivilent hatches for sale without any engine work done to them.

im probably going to travel down to look at it tomorrow with a view to driving it back north, its currently down south.
Back to top Go down
iddysti

iddysti

PostSubject: Re: Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch?   Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptyThu 14 May - 12:44

Sounds like a good deal. Go for it.
Back to top Go down
Stisi

Stisi

PostSubject: Re: Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch?   Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptyThu 14 May - 17:31

I love my hatch it's the only scooby I have ever owned. Mines a 2008 sti and on standard pistons been remapped by race dynamix for over a year now running approx 350-360bhp and it's running fine. Never had a problem with it. If your.getting the pistons done anyway it should be ok
Back to top Go down
mike2367

mike2367

PostSubject: Re: Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch?   Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? EmptyThu 14 May - 23:00

Stisi wrote:
I love my hatch it's the only scooby I have ever owned. Mines a 2008 sti and on standard pistons been remapped by race dynamix for over a year now running approx 350-360bhp and it's running fine. Never had a problem with it. If your.getting the pistons done anyway it should be ok

yeah its one of those things that will probably be fine, but i know my luck with these things. i can see it going pop on the drive up the M1 tomorrow Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch?   Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch? Empty

Back to top Go down

Things to look out for when buying a STI hatch?
Page 1 of 1