North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....

Go down 
+2
phil555
Willo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Willo

Willo

How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... Empty
PostSubject: How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....   How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyWed 22 Sep - 19:43

Been looking at the Hatch's figures, and noticed that although it's heavier than the 2.0l blob and bug (cozve the 2.5l block i'm assuming), that it has better fuel economy as standard?! 27mpg to the blob/bug's 23mpg claimed fuel consumptions.

Can anyone explain this technicality?

To do with the 2.0l block having a harder job? But then what of the weight difference the 2.5 has to move...hmm.. scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3384023
phil555

phil555

PostSubject: Re: How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....   How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyWed 22 Sep - 19:44

Modern day engineering I suppose.
Back to top Go down
BigG_wrx

BigG_wrx

PostSubject: Re: How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....   How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyWed 22 Sep - 20:40

I can only dream of 23mpg!!
Back to top Go down
Willo

Willo

PostSubject: Re: How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....   How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyWed 22 Sep - 20:47

haha same here mate...17 for me
Back to top Go down
Andy Kindon

PostSubject: Re: How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....   How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyWed 22 Sep - 22:43

a 2.5 engine is of same size and almost identical weight to 2.0, the hatch has much longer gearing STI models, full variable cam timing(both inlet and exhaust) also more aerodynamic and has intelligent setting on dial on centre console, driving off boost in this setting i was getting 26mpg and at a steady 70-80mph on motorway 30-32mpg Smile but that was on an engine i built so that says it all Cool Cool lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
BigG_wrx

BigG_wrx

PostSubject: Re: How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....   How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyThu 23 Sep - 10:30

Willo wrote:
haha same here mate...17 for me

Yup 15-17 is about normal, damn my heavy right foot!!
Back to top Go down
Willo

Willo

PostSubject: Re: How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....   How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyThu 23 Sep - 12:01

Haha yeah my right knee needs to be stretched out quite often haha. Suppose you don't buy a Subaru to drive it like a Nissan micra lol
Back to top Go down
Rob84

Rob84

PostSubject: Re: How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....   How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyThu 23 Sep - 14:01

usually mine sits around 26.9 mpg most of the time. give it some stick and will drop to 19 mpg
steady motoway cruise about 70-80 i got an amazing 35.9 mpg dunno how but it did it.

Back to top Go down
Willo

Willo

PostSubject: Re: How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....   How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyThu 23 Sep - 15:29

That's really good that!! My combined as I say is 17 so god knows what it is off boost and when I boot it. Guessing prob 26 and 13
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....   How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyThu 23 Sep - 15:52

Think whatever the differences are this thread shows - a piece of paper could say anything!
Back to top Go down
Rob84

Rob84

PostSubject: Re: How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....   How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyThu 23 Sep - 16:08

where not on about a piece of paper here, mines worked out on miles per litres of fuel used
cant vouch for anyone else how there working theres out
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....   How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyThu 23 Sep - 16:28

Yes but the bit of paper that came with your car that shows the 'MPG' your car should get, isn't the same as what you get actually driving it - like the 19mpg but the 26.9 is close.....closest I've ever known. I doubt most members on here get the fuel economy their users manual states on a day-day basis. Always depends how you drive, load etc

Like my Landy, pointless trying to work it out as you have to fill the tank then see how much it uses, so I have no doubt at all carrying 90 litres of fuel would make a difference

Last edited by lil_me on Thu 23 Sep - 16:31; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Willo

Willo

PostSubject: Re: How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....   How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyThu 23 Sep - 16:30

It said it in the manual :-$ haha

..nah I work it out one of two ways, but usually:

Go to petrol station just when the red light comes on, stick like 30quid in for example and reset odo, see how many miles it's on when the red light comes back on.

Say it's £1.19 a litre i'll divide the £30 by 1.19 so that would be in this case 25.21 litres. OR just look at my fuel receipt to see how many litres :-p

Divide the amount of litres by 4.5 (as roughly 4.5l to the gallon) = # gallons.

Then divide the amount of miles by the amount of gallons = MPG

I just use this as a rough indication of my mpg but it usually always works out between 17 and 18 so i find this method accurate enough for me

Last edited by Willo on Sun 26 Sep - 12:10; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sparkey

sparkey

PostSubject: Re: How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....   How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyThu 23 Sep - 18:21

iam getting 26.8/28.8 on average useing it as daily drive , getting into 30,s on longer runs

easyest way to work it out fill up the nx time u fill up take mileage convert it into km & divde them by lts of fuel added & times this by 2.825 will give u mpg mine works out between 1or 2 mpg less than what car says

but a scooby the wrong car if u want high mpg get a deisel 4 that of a little 1lt run around
Back to top Go down
Willo

Willo

PostSubject: Re: How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....   How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... EmptyThu 23 Sep - 20:54

Cool I'll try that method. Ahh I'm not bothered about my fuel consumption mate was just intrigued as to how the hatch can get more mpg that saloon when it's heavier..mr kindon answered it very well..bravo fella cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....   How comes the hatch has better fuel economy.... Empty

Back to top Go down

How comes the hatch has better fuel economy....
Page 1 of 1