North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

STI 6 speed box problems when cold

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dazh

dazh

STI 6 speed box problems when cold Empty
PostSubject: STI 6 speed box problems when cold   STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptyThu 23 Dec - 13:43

I can see I'm gonna be posting a lot in this section Embarassed
Picked my car up saturday and everything was fine, but every day since when you drive for the first 20mins you can't get 5th gear at all. Once the box warms up its fine? Got some Millers gearbox oil from Alyn and Drew changed it on tuesday but it's still there. I've read numerous threads about notchy boxes when cold and they are stiff but 5th won't go in at all. Just wondered if anyone else experienced it? Just wondered if it could be selector or linkage thats a bit tight but I'm no expert on gearboxes clown Cheers
Back to top Go down
dazh

dazh

PostSubject: Re: STI 6 speed box problems when cold   STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptyFri 24 Dec - 13:52

Anyone any ideas?
Tried it again today and sure enough took half an hour of driving before it would entertain 5th gear, outside temp was 0c, then ten minutes later when I thought it was fine it dropped out of 5th! Think the car could be going back to get this sorted
Back to top Go down
Tuffty

Tuffty

PostSubject: Re: STI 6 speed box problems when cold   STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptyFri 24 Dec - 21:58

Mine won't go into 2nd very easy when in sub zero conditions

Took it back to GMD (was GMD when i bought it 3 years ago) and they changed the gearbox oil which made no differance, mine didn't take no where near 30 minutes for the problem to rectify it's self probably about 0.5 to a mile max.

I know when it's going to do it as when i reverse of my drive it feels like I'm driving a off road 4wd with diff locks on as it judders across the road on full lock, heard of a few people mention this problem when cold.

Good luck, hope an easy fix
Back to top Go down
Rob84

Rob84

PostSubject: Re: STI 6 speed box problems when cold   STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptyFri 24 Dec - 22:32

My rear diff scrats about on the floor when reversing with lock on, Just to do with the design of the diff.

It's usually 3rd to 4th that gives the probs with the syncros wearing from what I've seen, But they usually grind like hell when you try and change in a rush.

Does it go into gear when the cars not running when its cold ??

just a thought running round my mind here, there was an issue with a nut coming slack inside the gearbox which was related to 5th gear jumping out and difficulty getting into gear
Back to top Go down
dazh

dazh

PostSubject: Re: STI 6 speed box problems when cold   STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptyFri 24 Dec - 23:01

Thanks for the replies lads. Yeah Rob, just been out to check as it's sat for about 9 hours and it's -2c at the minute, so car nice and cold. I actually left it in 5th, for some daft reason thinking it might help clown But yes, straight into 5th couple of times then fired it up lifted clutch and it was definitley engaged. Got me beat, but few people saying it's normal, which I find strange, I can understand being stiff to get gears for a couple of minutes but half an hour, then dropping out of gear doesn't seem right to me.
Back to top Go down
Rob84

Rob84

PostSubject: Re: STI 6 speed box problems when cold   STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptyFri 24 Dec - 23:14

sounds very much like you've got a syncro on its last legs to be honest. the early six speed gearboxes were prone to it. Like I said above 3rd syncro was one and very occasionally 5th gear syncro would fail too. the 5th set is around £260 with vat then you need the box out and stripped to fit it, If you've got a warranty that's gonna pay for it then I'd be taking it back.
Back to top Go down
dazh

dazh

PostSubject: Re: STI 6 speed box problems when cold   STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptyFri 24 Dec - 23:29

Thanks for the info Rob, tbh I thought it sounded and felt like syncro but assumed it would happen all the time if that was the case. I did manage to get some background info on the cars history as one of my customers at work serviced it last according to service book, turns out was his best mates car and was fine when went in as trade in, but I think it's been sat for about 7 or 8 months so god knows how many hamfisted test drives it's seen. Either way I'll give em a call after christmas to get it sorted.
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: STI 6 speed box problems when cold   STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptySat 25 Dec - 16:54

Sounds like a syncro problem to me too, as said, the early 6 speeds are prone to it in 3rd and 5th, get it into them ASAP.
Back to top Go down
Andy Kindon

PostSubject: Re: STI 6 speed box problems when cold   STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptySun 26 Dec - 23:05

as already said, sounds like a synchro on its last legs especialy with u saying its jumped outa 5th, the six speed boxs are very expensive to get repaired, hopefully u can get it sorted bud

Andy
Back to top Go down
dazh

dazh

PostSubject: Re: STI 6 speed box problems when cold   STI 6 speed box problems when cold EmptyMon 27 Dec - 12:08

Thanks for all the input and info guys, been to the dealership today and spoke to the owner. He took the car out to see what the symptons were, strangely enough it went into 5th about 6 times with no problem but then eventually dropped out and wouldn't go back in easily. Got to take the car back after New Year and he's going to lend me a courtesy car and get it sorted Very Happy
Pleased I didn't go to some back street garage as these people seem to be very focused on building a good reputation Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STI 6 speed box problems when cold   STI 6 speed box problems when cold Empty

Back to top Go down

STI 6 speed box problems when cold
Page 1 of 1