North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Dog Buying Advice Needed

Go down 
+7
CARLOS
Dan G
lian&johnsti
warwickd
BigG_wrx
mickymarwood
Walwal
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Walwal

Walwal

Dog Buying Advice Needed Empty
PostSubject: Dog Buying Advice Needed   Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptySun 22 May - 16:26

I'm thinking of getting a dog. Had dogs before, but not for over 8 years now.

What I'm thinking of is a rottweiler. This isn't cos I'm a macho, look at me and my killer trophy dog type of person, they're just a dog I've always liked. It would be an 8-10 week old pup I'd be looking for.

However, with having 2 kids, 9 and 5, the wife isn't so keen on my choice, and going to my sis's today hasn't helped once she put her 2 pence worth in.

I've said from the start that the way you bring them up/train them is the most important thing, but they just think that 1 day the dog'll go bad and savage the bairns, but people aren't really listening to me.

So, anyone had experience of having so called "devil dogs" around youngish kids?? I've read up on the net and everything I've read says they're spot on with bairns.

Andy.

Back to top Go down
mickymarwood

mickymarwood

PostSubject: Re: Dog Buying Advice Needed   Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptySun 22 May - 16:41

get a pug mate they mint little dogs I hated little dogs untill i bought my lass one now got 2 and they are cool as fook dogs not very macho like but as a pet they are very good and loyal and love kids
Back to top Go down
BigG_wrx

BigG_wrx

PostSubject: Re: Dog Buying Advice Needed   Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptySun 22 May - 17:33

My old man had a rotty/shepherd cross who's litter brother is a police dog in the Met. He adores my two lads and is nothing but loyal, friendly and above all gentle.

A friend of mine has just bought a rotty pup, he's 8 weeks old. He also has two young children.

Rotweilers got bad press a few years back and IMO it was unjustified.
ANY dog can be made to be aggressive, you're much more likely to see injuries from smaller, snappier breeds and it's only due to their size that no serious injury occurs.

I own a Belgian malinois who is trained in personal protection yet he can still be allowed round my kids as it's controlled aggression with specific triggers.
If you bring the dog up correctly, setting it's rules & boundries at an early age there is no reason it won't be anything other than a loving and loyal family pet.

Sorry for the long reply but I feel strongly about prejudice about certain breeds!!
Back to top Go down
warwickd

warwickd

PostSubject: Re: Dog Buying Advice Needed   Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptySun 22 May - 17:35

2 years ago i bought my wife a staffordshire bull terrier as that was what she wanted, we then found out she was 3 months pregnant and we both worried about having the so called devil dog with a young child, but once the baby was born the dog has followed the bairn everywhere. I agree with what you say the way the dog/puppy is brought up/trained you should have no problem.
Back to top Go down
Walwal

Walwal

PostSubject: Re: Dog Buying Advice Needed   Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptySun 22 May - 19:08

Cheers for the replies guys, I've made wor lass read the whole thread. Not sure if it's swayed her just yet, but it cannot do any harm.

Like you say BigG, they were getting bad press a few years back, but in the 70's it was the same with Alsations. There've been a few Staffy stories in the last few months, it seems to go in cycles.

Andy.

Back to top Go down
lian&johnsti

lian&johnsti

PostSubject: Re: Dog Buying Advice Needed   Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptySun 22 May - 19:36

we have a boxer and he is the most loving and loyal dog,who is great with kids,we dont have any kids of our own but he is around them all the time Very Happy
and again its how you bring them up,it annoys me that some people kick the sh~t out of their dogs and then wonder why they are visious!
good luck in finding a puppy in what ever breed you decide to have,most of our friends have staffys with kids and they are lovely dogs too Very Happy
lian queen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dog Buying Advice Needed   Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptySun 22 May - 19:47

Hiya

Any dog can go 'bad' much like people - I personally would never leave a small child unattended with any dog - but saying that there are the more 'trusted' breeds, which seem to be more socially acceptable with kids - i.e. Labradors etc (but even these can turn if having an off day or pulled the wrong way by a small child).

I personally agree that a dog's upbringing has alot to do with their temperament - but not everything - you can still get a rogue dog.

We've got a Labrador and to be honest, she might lick someone to death and that would be about it - but I still wouldn't leave her unattended with small children.

I would also go for a puppy as opposed to a dog that you do not know the full background of - I know there are lots of dogs needing homes etc (I used to work at the RSPCA Kennels) but if you've had a dog from being a puppy - you train them to let you inspect them all over and touch them anywhere you like and not to have a problem with that - a rescue dog, you just never know what has happened in its past that can trigger an attack.

I think Rotties get a bad press because of their size and the fact they would be quite difficult to fight off if they did attack - but give me a big dog any day as opposed to a small one - who are often yappy and snappy lol - (granted there are some sweeties about as well!).

Your kids 9 and 5 are old enough to understand not to hang off the dog's ears etc ... so that goes in their favour too. We have a 'box' for our labrador, which she feels safer in when we're out and can go to anytime she likes for peace and quiet - or somewhere comfy to lie when i'm busy in the kitchen and she's being nosey lol.

You also need to think about your lifestyle and possibly highly 'strung' dogs who need alot of mental stimulation ... i.e. weimaraners, border collies, dobermans etc - if you don't give them the attention, they demand it - by destroying your house to get attention, so that's worth looking at as well.

Think I'm veering off the path a bit but you probably get my drift lol ...HTH's
Back to top Go down
Dan G

Dan G

PostSubject: Re: Dog Buying Advice Needed   Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptySun 22 May - 20:48

Ive had staffordshire bull terriers all my life mate

Heard some bad stories about them but suppose its like any dog they can all do damage

Had one a few years ago, lovely dog, used him for stud but one day he just went mad, we were gutted but he had to go

dont agree with this its not the dog its the owner bollocks, Im strict as owt wi me dogs but that dog just went beserk and i cuould'nt do anything with him
Back to top Go down
CARLOS

CARLOS

PostSubject: Re: Dog Buying Advice Needed   Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptySun 22 May - 21:39

agree with dan had staff for years grew up with me son day since the day he was born no snarls growls etc
Back to top Go down
big deano

big deano

PostSubject: Re: Dog Buying Advice Needed   Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptySun 22 May - 21:51

my mates ot 2 rotties and 2 yound kids and never had a problem they climb on there back and allsorts also king charles spanies are one of the most plassid dogs or a sheep dog border colly
Back to top Go down
maca

maca

PostSubject: Re: Dog Buying Advice Needed   Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptyMon 23 May - 9:00

Ive got a 10 year old rottie, bought him when he was 6 weeks old, best dog you will ever meet! Ive also got 2 kids - a 5 year old lad and a 2 year old girl and he's fine with them, you are right when you say its how you bring them up, bring them up the right way and aslong as they know who's boss they dont put a foot wrong! lol, my dogs never had a dog fight or bit anyone, he's a big softy and thats the way you want them, best breed of dog bar none!
Back to top Go down
drew160387

PostSubject: Re: Dog Buying Advice Needed   Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptyMon 23 May - 16:39

havnt read through the full page as theres a few lengthy responses so heres my bit info on the subject.

my family has had rotties since i was around 10 so 14 year i had my own from 17 to 22 bud had to let one got due to moving and the other sadly recently down to cancer god rest her soal. weve bread them ocasionaly so got the insight into all aspects realy.

all of our rotties have been great tempered dogs big cuddly bunches of fun even to the extent of safely and cofidently having small kids around them. marshal the biggest one will even ly and let the kids wrestle obviously bigger childfren not todlers as you never do know.
now from experience all dogs so get there temperment from parents and the breaders themselves. they learn from example like ourselves. bad temperd parents will rub off when there pubs and produce a bad temperment or unpredicable dog. breeders which have alot in one place and feed them from one or two bowls makes them agreesive near food as they tend to fight for there dinner and guard it which can result in them biting anyone who geos near it.

if your looking dont get the dog as they look well behaved by themselves have a look at the litter together and ask to see the dogs parents as most have both of them. that way you see all areas. you do have to be carefull with your choice as they rotties packs the most pound of pressure per square inch of the jaw. bad dogs when they go wrong.

hope that helps giving you both aspects and if you need a hand with choice im happy to pop along and lend my knoledge . im no top dog expert dog whisperer but i got all my knoledge from experience and not tittle tattle from tv ect.

happy hunting and hope you find the right dog for yourself
Back to top Go down
baldy

baldy

PostSubject: Re: Dog Buying Advice Needed   Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptyMon 23 May - 20:12

we just lost ours 2wks ago ...best dog in the world ...i know they all say that..but he was ...very intelligent ,,obidient ,and best of all absoluetely excellent with me boyz the eldest was 2 wen we got him ,,they way i looked at it ..i could be wrong treat the dog how a kid would pull his ears stick ur fingers in his mouth ...most of all its about trust ..both ways ..u have too trust the dog and he has to trust you and your family .. ben used to love being with us and loved cuddles belly rubs,he even let me brush his teeth......dont forget dogs, like humans have off days ,somedays they just want to be left ..the old sayin is true let sleepin dogs lie....i have rottie books etc if ya want ....a dog is like a kid its how u bring em up ...best advice ALWAYS see the parents .look for temperament and ask for hip scores u want a real good dog that stands well .and make sure they had jabs as parvo is quite bad at the mo ....if ya wana chat gimme a ring 07923924170
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dog Buying Advice Needed   Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptyMon 23 May - 23:23

By the way ... in case its of any use to anyone - I think Vets4Pets at Framwellgate Moor are still offering lifetime vaccinations.

I think we paid an extra £90 on top of our dog's first course of injections - but that covers her for the rest of her life for booster injections (not kennel cough).

HTH's
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dog Buying Advice Needed   Dog Buying Advice Needed EmptyMon 23 May - 23:27

Just had a look - they are still doing it and details are:

http://www.vets4pets.com/vac4life.asp?dbid=5&src=

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dog Buying Advice Needed   Dog Buying Advice Needed Empty

Back to top Go down

Dog Buying Advice Needed
Page 1 of 1