HomeRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

B-pillars sorted.....at last

Go down 
AuthorMessage
kgt
Admin
kgt

B-pillars sorted.....at last Empty
PostSubject: B-pillars sorted.....at last   B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptyWed 1 Aug - 9:09

So I finally got round to sorting these bloody awful looking B-pillar mouldings. Thanks to EJ22 GAV who finally gave me the push to do it and the lovely carbon wrap to sort the job.

God knows what they had been subjected to but it ate through the surface and left horrible grey/white blotches as if it had been burnt with chemicals.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

In terms of getting them off they slide up and down in situ by a few millimetres which helps you clear the upper moulding that runs above the doors. I used several trim removal tools and it seems the clips and retainers have a 50/50 chance of surviving. I'm thinking if I did it again I'd maybe warm the area up with a hairdryer as cold plastic is always subject to embrittlement and more likely to snap.

So here are the little twatting clips that seem to me stronger than the main moulding.

Red for RH side, Blue for LH side.......although the clips themselves are of identical design (?)

And the resulting damage when you try your very best to gently remove the mouldings............the clips stay nicely in the door frame for you to prise out when youve finished swearing at the damage to the retaining area in the main moulding.

So without further ado I cut the wrap to size and placed it face down, took the backing off and gently dropped the moulding in place and applied much patience to get rid of air bubbles and trim and excess and........voila !!!

Rather happy with my efforts for a first time. Could have been improved in one or two areas but thats just me being pedantic. Might even invest in a new set of B-pillar mouldings and clips to have another go. As for the damaged areas, there is a good few mm's of tolerance in the door frame so I just glued the clips back to the main moulding approx where I thought they should sit, judging by the mating ones on the other moulding that hadnt broken. I dont think you can be too far out.

And here they are nicely back in place. cheers

Total time invested - about 30 mins tops. And I can happily claim........built not bought Laughing

Wing mirrors next me thinks study

Back to top Go down
maxboost

maxboost

PostSubject: Re: B-pillars sorted.....at last   B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptyWed 1 Aug - 10:53

Glad you got them done BY YOURSELF
Looks good as well.
Back to top Go down
phil555

phil555

PostSubject: Re: B-pillars sorted.....at last   B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptyWed 1 Aug - 17:12

Good job there Keith.
Back to top Go down
deano27

deano27

PostSubject: Re: B-pillars sorted.....at last   B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptyWed 1 Aug - 18:52

Looking good Keith , Wink
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: B-pillars sorted.....at last   B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptyWed 1 Aug - 20:08

Looks good mate, can't say the same about the white checked shirt you were wearing though Laughing
Back to top Go down
iddysti

iddysti

PostSubject: Re: B-pillars sorted.....at last   B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptyWed 1 Aug - 20:21

well done mate, you'll be making AndyK unemployed if you keep getting these skills.

whats next mechanical!!!!!
Back to top Go down
easby

easby

PostSubject: Re: B-pillars sorted.....at last   B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptyWed 1 Aug - 20:26

Nice job
Back to top Go down
http://www.arebags.co.uk
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: B-pillars sorted.....at last   B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptyThu 2 Aug - 8:20

Jonny Gav wrote:
Looks good mate, can't say the same about the white checked shirt you were wearing though Laughing

Cheeky git, it wasnt white it was pink actually.

And I know I'm breaking the rules wearing pink as I dont own an STi and I'm not from Hartlepoooool either, but thats me, living on the edge bom

Last edited by kgt on Thu 2 Aug - 8:35; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: B-pillars sorted.....at last   B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptyThu 2 Aug - 8:34

iddysti wrote:
well done mate, you'll be making AndyK unemployed if you keep getting these skills.

whats next mechanical!!!!!

Well now you mention it Iddy, I was thinking about knocking up a stroker engine at lunchtime and and strapping on the turbo and afterburner Ive just removed from a hawker siddley bucaneer that I found taxiing around in the loft.

However, if I get pressed for time (or AK doesnt reply to my urgent text asking where the bonnet release catch is) that might get shelved and I'll just contemplate fitting the rear strut brace thats still staring at me from the bench in the garage.

Would that count as 'mechanical' or does it still fall into the needless cosmetic frippery department that I'm becoming so skilled in, I'm not sure scratch

Back to top Go down
martyp1970

martyp1970

PostSubject: Re: B-pillars sorted.....at last   B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptyThu 2 Aug - 10:22

Looks really good Keith Cool
Spyed the dash through the window too...double Cool
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: B-pillars sorted.....at last   B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptyThu 2 Aug - 10:37

Cheers Martin, the dash still needs a little tickle, but overall I'm very happy with it. Certainly brightens up the inside of the car. The stereo cage was the main culprit, the pig needed quite a bit of trimming and probs needs a bit more. Most of it will be coming back out anyway as I need to find a location for the ridiculously big black box that you need to run a bluetooth system from the Alipne Rolling Eyes

Covering up the b-pillars has properly cheered me up. I'll have the wing mirrors sorted next then the headlights. Watch this space.
Back to top Go down
keffer

keffer

PostSubject: Re: B-pillars sorted.....at last   B-pillars sorted.....at last EmptyFri 3 Aug - 14:04

loooks good bud Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: B-pillars sorted.....at last   B-pillars sorted.....at last Empty

Back to top Go down

B-pillars sorted.....at last
Page 1 of 1