North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
The WRX hatchback project!  EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
The WRX hatchback project!  EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
The WRX hatchback project!  EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
The WRX hatchback project!  EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
The WRX hatchback project!  EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

The WRX hatchback project!

Go down 
+23
carl08
Scooby Neil
nico68 (John)
Captainfunbags
maca
8ulldog
Dannyp
stevejones
Stisi
Richyprodrive1988
Marshffs
locky@HYDROtek
garyblake
iddysti
keffer
baldy
byers
anthmac
kgt
CARLOS
DAZ.STI
Jonny Gav
Towser
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
carl08

carl08

The WRX hatchback project!  Empty
PostSubject: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 8:24

Well thought i would start a thread on my 08 WRX as whilst i am starting to do doing bits on mine  its proving difficult to find any decent threads with pics and how to's especially in the UK! Some threads are available in the states but the tuning parts they use are generally difficult to obtain here!
Anyhow im of work now for 5 weeks and will be starting to get somethings sorted on the hatch and will keep this thread updated with plenty of pics! I hope it helps other people, i now know i could of saved 2 hours work yesterday if this thread was available  Head in hands.  Any way here comes the pics!

P.S I am not a mechanic or an English teacher, so be gentle with any comments.  lol!
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 8:28

The base car!

2008 WRX
33000 miles
One owner FSSH
No mods!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 8:32

Grotty engine bay! All the dust and crap sticks well to the green wax applied by Subaru to the engine bay.

Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 11:12

First mod was on the induction, this was purely because in standard form the car sounded crap, it was like driving an electric car compared to my decatted classic. 
Wanting a bit of noise i went straight for a full induction kit instead of changing to a decent panel filter, (which is more than adequate if you don't want the induction noise).

So i opted for the cosworth induction kit, and the perrin intake to turbo pipe both came with full pictured fitting instructions and (extra stickers) lol.. 
The fitment guides where great on both, although the perrin pipe is a bit of a pig when trying to reinstall the vacum lines in tight areas.

Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 11:13

Now the car sound like Darth Vader trying to suck the last out of a milkshake! lol!
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 11:18

Next i wanted a bit of woosh so after reading up i decided on a forge recirculating DV, i read that the vent to atmosphere are not so good for the car! Any way this could be fitted by a 7 year old 2 bolts and a pipe job done, i also changed the oil filler cap and battery tie down at the same time. 
Again simple job but i did break one of the battery tie down bolts, so had order some shiny new ones! 

Last edited by carl08 on Mon 14 Apr - 19:44; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 11:25

So it was time to go back to Africa and earn some pennines for the family and car Very Happy, whilst away i started trawling through forums reading about the 2.5 failures and this got me thinking, if the engine lets go with the wife and kids in whilst i'm away (its the wifes daily driver) it will be one big expensive headache for me. So again trawling the forum Andy Kindon was recommended by many who had suffered the 2.5 failures, so after a quick chat the car is booked in for a set of forged pistons, andy reckons the engine will be good for 400hp after the build, i am looking eventually to get around the 360bhp mark so it the build should be safe fingers crossed!

Last edited by carl08 on Mon 14 Apr - 13:01; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 12:01

While away i picked up a few bargains on the net for the WRX, one being a blitz nur spec for 380quid delivered. So after 3 months away i arrived back in sunny Hartlepool  kissed the wife and kids and got my tools out.  Very Happy  

The original very quiet exhaust system.

The workshop!

Single exit to quad in (ahemm) easy steps  Rolling Eyes 

Old system!

Using a white pencil crayon, i followed the contours of the diffuser by hand then used a ruler at the top for a nice straight line, curves just drew by hand also.

Next i got the dremel out (no going back now)!

I then repeated the other side!

I then got under the car and whilst trying to remove i broke the two spring bolts that join the center system to cat, no problem i had already bought genuine subaru ones and donut gasket, phew!

[You must be
registered and logged in to see this image.]

The exhaust system came off very easily and the mounting rubbers stayed on the car and look in very good condition.  
So with the exhaust of you can compare it to the new system! affraid 

Look at the size of them pipes, to be honest i was craping incase they stuck out too much and looked chavy, so was alredy contemplating a custom backbox at this point, but i carried on regardless.

I looked at the tailpipes and decided they where to dirty even by my low standards so i got busy with the Autosol and elbow grease!

After 2 hrs i couldn't bend my fingers any more so decided they looked ok  cheers 

So time to offer up the new backbox and!, bugger it did not fit  Sad 

So a little more trimming to the inside fins of the diffuser was needed!

Trimmed both sides and hey presto backbox installed.

Fitted the new gaskets and center pipe then let it run for a while checking for leaks before taking it off the ramps!

No leaks took it off the ramp and though Twit you cant even see the tailpipes so i wasted 2 hours polishing them, Mad 

But any way i am really glad with the way it looks and fits, the tailpipes don't stick out too much either phew!

The sound is very quiet compared to what i was expecting, but i think that will change when i put the decat downpipe on   Very Happy  but don't tell the missus because she already thinks its loud!

lol!  lol!
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 12:10

I also added 30hp to the car with a nice sticker!

Back to top Go down
Towser

Towser

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 12:38

Nice1 Carl keep it up, like the sticker Smile
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 13:15

Wheels!

I also bought a used set of Rota alloys from the selling page of NESF, here is a pic of them also with a new set of wheel nuts. 
They needed a recon so after a chat with Locky the wheels got dropped at Hydrotech today i will update with pics when i get them back!

Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 15:00

Wow! Really nice work mate  Cool 
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 15:40

Cheers Jonny!
Back to top Go down
DAZ.STI

DAZ.STI

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 19:04

Amazing mate, really good graft there, good look, and can't wait for this to progress.
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 19:20

Todays purchase a nice shiney tool set from the Halfords advanced range, as all of my tools that fit my sons BMX seem to have disappeared.  scratch  

Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 19:21

DAZ.STI wrote:
Amazing mate, really good graft there, good look, and can't wait for this to progress.

Cheers mate!
Back to top Go down
CARLOS

CARLOS

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 19:22

nice work mate love the exhaust
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyMon 14 Apr - 19:40

CARLOS wrote:
nice work mate love the exhaust

Thanks mate, i think its a bit marmite but i'm happy with it!
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyTue 15 Apr - 17:59

Really nice work Carl. If you take a look on the NASIOC site you will start dribbling at some of the cars on there, but plenty more inspiration / money sucking ideas. Yours looking really good. I'd be interested to hear the sound of the NUR Spec the staggered pipes look great in my opinion. My Cobra system is a bit proud for my liking but sounds mint, yours looks about spot on.
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyTue 15 Apr - 18:47

Thanks mate, the sound is quite nice a little burrbel under gentle acceleration and a deeper note when toddling at 30mph, today i went for a good drive out and at 70/80mph you can't hear any difference over the stock system. The only complaint is around town it drones a bit when you come off the accelerator. The loudest thing is the induction it is bloody loud!  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyTue 15 Apr - 20:37

carl08 wrote:
Thanks mate, the sound is quite nice a little burrbel under gentle acceleration and a deeper note when toddling at 30mph, today i went for a good drive out and at 70/80mph you can't hear any difference over the stock system. The only complaint is around town it drones a bit when you come off the accelerator. The loudest thing is the induction it is bloody loud!  Very Happy

Haha, might have to go for an induction kit at some point. My old Blob has a nice induction sound at its most modified, as you'll appreciate the Hatches in standard form as very "polite".
Back to top Go down
anthmac

anthmac

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyTue 15 Apr - 20:53

Looking good Carl.
Like seeing threads like this :-)
Just can't be arsed to do one... Lol
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyTue 15 Apr - 21:02

Cheers mate, i am off work for 5 weeks so have the spare time. Your hawk and KGT's hatch look well, (Red is definitely the new blue)!  Laughing
Back to top Go down
byers

byers

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyTue 15 Apr - 22:11

Get a grip
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  EmptyWed 16 Apr - 5:08

Very nice work Carl. Definitely transforming the look of the car for the better  Cool Cool 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The WRX hatchback project!    The WRX hatchback project!  Empty

Back to top Go down

The WRX hatchback project!
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next