North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Engine builder and map check recommendations?

Go down 
+6
garyblake
discodaz
baldy
Steviedoo
atwrx
roscom
10 posters
AuthorMessage
roscom

roscom

Engine builder and map check recommendations? Empty
PostSubject: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 12:00

Hi,

I'm thinking about having an engine built over the winter with a view to going for more power (somewhere in the region of 450bhp or so). I need to do plenty of research as I'm not that up on subaru engines and wouldn't mind having a chat with an engine builder who can steer me down the right path.

Also before I get that far I wouldn't mind having my map checked to the cars existing setup just for peace of mind. I'm based near Newcastle and don't mind travelling within reason but prefer someone reasonably local for both if possible.

If anyone springs to mind for the above then fire away!

Cheers Ross.

Back to top Go down
atwrx

atwrx

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 12:04

Andy Kindon. He'll sort if for you.
Back to top Go down
Steviedoo

Steviedoo

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 12:10

2nd that Andy Kindon is the man for the job, built quite a few peoples engines on here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 12:22

Andy Kindon for building forged engines. He's built loads for members on here including mine.
Back to top Go down
roscom

roscom

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 12:55

Cheers for the quick response,much appreciated  Very Happy 

Read lots of good things about him on here and elsewhere so sounds like he's the man to speak to. Will nip in to see him when I get back off holiday for a chat about then engine. Am I right in thinking he has a unit in Stella gill?

Anyone recommend someone local for a map check/tweak?
Back to top Go down
atwrx

atwrx

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 13:08

Yes he's in Stella Gill Ind Est. He might be able to sort out the map for you too as he has Bob Rawle in there once/twice a month.

Don't be trying to jump ahead of my build tho Laughing
Back to top Go down
baldy

baldy

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 13:17

yeah that's AK there are normally mappers around ..andy will tell you when bob rawle is about aswell
Back to top Go down
discodaz

discodaz

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 14:19

Yea throw you cheque book at Kindon he is the local tuner on here cracking work!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/darrenjayphotography
garyblake

garyblake

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 14:39

Andy kindon you engine builder

Bob Rawle I'm sure map your so best getting him again save £ as rest of mapper will need to do fresh map so will cost double +

Going need
6 speed box
Forged engine
Turbo
Injecters
Decent induction kit
Front mount
And so on

Back to top Go down
roscom

roscom

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 16:08

garyblake wrote:
Andy kindon you engine builder

Bob Rawle I'm sure map your so best getting him again save £ as rest of mapper will need to do fresh map so will cost double +

Going need
6 speed box
Forged engine
Turbo
Injecters
Decent induction kit
Front mount
And so on

I know Duncan from race dynamics mapped it a couple of times but in between then an now there's nothing to indicate in the reciepts what's been done mapping wise. In fact as it's had quite a few forum owners and build threads etc you lot probably know the cars past a lot better than me lol. If any owner between robbo22 and myself has had it mapped and happens to see this then give me a shout and let me know the craic.

Figured I would need most of the above list with the possible exception of the front mount as I've read the sti top mount can just about manage 450bhp or so?

Is it worth investigating how well the 5 speed copes with a decent clutch setup or is it just a non starter?

Back to top Go down
atwrx

atwrx

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 16:20

Non starter, the 5 Speed can only handle something like 350 before the cogs let go, 6 speed is a must at that power.
Back to top Go down
roscom

roscom

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 17:01

Fair enough mate. Car is almost at that power already and refuse to shell out for the ppg straight cut gear set for the five speed box.
Back to top Go down
chrisw

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 17:59

As far as I know the car is still on the dynamix map and the car hasnt been mapped again from that nothing has been changed for it to require a new map. Its only really had the odd cosmetic change in recent time, performance mods the same except for the exhaust which I changed to the one on now but its still a 3" so didn't require another map.
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 20:17

Steven Darley @ SD Motorsport.

Back to top Go down
roscom

roscom

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 20:46

chrisw wrote:
As far as I know the car is still on the dynamix map and the car hasnt been mapped again from that nothing has been changed for it to require a new map. Its only really had the odd cosmetic change in recent time, performance mods the same except for the exhaust which I changed to the one on now but its still a 3" so didn't require another map.

Ah ok fair enough,I had it in mind that the old one was partially 2.5" in places? If nothing's changed then it's more pennies in the rebuild pot,sure I will find a way to spend them all though!!
Back to top Go down
chrisw

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 21:10

roscom wrote:
chrisw wrote:

Ah ok fair enough,I had it in mind that the old one was partially 2.5" in places? If nothing's changed then it's more pennies in the rebuild pot,sure I will find a way to spend them all though!!

Strictly speaking it was but it was only at the joints where it was 2.5" which is probably only a few inches of the whole system, so basically treated as a 3inch system. I asked the question when I changed but didn't need to get it tweaked. One thing I was thinking was possibly getting pops and bangs into the map should sound good with that exhaust and they can always check it when your'e getting that done.
Back to top Go down
iddysti

iddysti

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 21:12

You will defo need a 6 speed if your going for 450. You can use a 5 speed.straight cut gearbox but it will be about the same price.

I would keep the top mount if your going to 450 it will just about handle it.

It's not going to be a cheap build.
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 22:13

iddysti wrote:
It's not going to be a cheap build.

Fek me, a warning like that coming from you must mean it's going to be ball shatteringly expensive.  lol! 
Back to top Go down
discodaz

discodaz

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 22:25

nick is going for 450 and bob told him his induction kit and intercooler were holding it back
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/darrenjayphotography

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? EmptyWed 6 Aug - 22:31

discodaz wrote:
nick is going for 450 and bob told him his induction kit and intercooler were holding it back

and his injectors were fecked too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine builder and map check recommendations?   Engine builder and map check recommendations? Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine builder and map check recommendations?
Page 1 of 1