North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

BC Racing Time Attack Impreza

Go down 
+20
wrx/uk/ppp
Calvert_87
FINN
srobbo18
wrxsti350
Ray
phils (Rip off) scooby
kgt
Andy Kindon
Philhasasti
muzz
byers
dazh
hardy172
baldy
Robbo_22
stevebt
keffer
phil555
dynamix
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
CARLOS

CARLOS

BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyMon 16 May - 22:22

pity you cant have your impreza in the btcc duncan Cool
Back to top Go down
dynamix

dynamix

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyWed 8 Jun - 22:24

Been a bit quiet on this project lol

But been gathering bits for the engine reconstruction after the head gasket issues and now ready to go Smile

- Cosworth High Tensile Head Studs
- Cosworth High RPM Valve Springs
- Heads skimmed and worked for the kelford cams by Finch Motorsport
- Adjustable cam pulleys by CDF racing
- some new gaskets and cosworth timing belt from lateral
- Cometic Phuzion head gaskets

Build starts on saturday and hoping to get it on the dyno on wednesday to see what difference the cams make Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.racedynamix.com
Andy Kindon

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyThu 9 Jun - 15:20

does lateral keep the cometic phuzion gaskets in stock? looked at these before but awkward to get hold of
Back to top Go down
dynamix

dynamix

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyFri 10 Jun - 7:40

Andy Kindon wrote:
does lateral keep the cometic phuzion gaskets in stock? looked at these before but awkward to get hold of

No they dont Andy. I got mine through Apex Performance who have arranged for these to come direct from the states as no UK stock of them at the moment.

They sound like a great idea with the gas filled ring as part of the head gasket itself that can 'breathe' as the heads moves a bit but still seal. Hopefully it will be the answer to running high boost and nitrous on the 2.5 with the high tensile head studs Smile

Back to top Go down
dynamix

dynamix

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyFri 17 Jun - 8:32

Really pleased with the article that Banzai have written and the pictures that Matt Woods took of the car at the Oulton Park test day that I did back in March.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Just busy building the engine and getting it running again at the moment (or rather I will be when I get home on saturday evening) - been fitting that in around being very busy mapping time at the mo. I finished buildiong the engine yesterday and dropped it into the engine bay and is all connected and ready to fire as soon as i put the EWG on. These external wastegates are a right royal pitfa when it comes to lining up the flanges and i almost lost my temper with it at midnight trying to get it done before i left for newcastle lol.

anyway .. some progress pics

Excuse the grubby iphone pics Smile
Back to top Go down
dynamix

dynamix

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptySun 17 Jul - 9:22

Time to write a report on the weekend now the dust has settled and I have rehydrated a little Smile

First off, huge thanks to Julian and Daz Davies for their help over what was a long weekend of hard work in the sweatiest conditions yet. Without their free help the weekend would have been over just as it began - so thanks guys :notworthy

Anyway, a double header, the first in TA recent history and a nightmare to plan for, pack for, worry about and just generally get my head around but i spent a couple of days off last week getting the car finished, ie engine back together and in and give everything a good check over and had the car loaded up on the trailer on friday afternoon ready for travel first thing saturday.

We got to brands at about 8am and unloaded and prepared for the warm up session - all seemed calm, so Julian hopped in with me into the sauna that my car was to become for the weekend and we headed out for a lap or two on the wet track. Just starting to wind it up and a boost hose popped off so i headed back into the pits - bugger it was the one hardest to get to (isnt it always ??) and that was the end of that session. While we took the wheels to swap to the other set we noticed that one of the front disc rotors had cracked - AP rotor grrr so frantically tried to find new rotors in a short period of time but without luck so it was potentially end of fast running for the saturday unless i could find them. Apex were 4 hours away so driving there and back would not have been a viable solution. Then I happen to ask Dave Coe and he said he had some spare AP rotors that I could have - SUPERB !! Huge thanks to Dave - great guy and to help fellow competitors like that is part of the spirit of the pit lane at events - you are my hero :thumb: :notworthy

So... just under 30 mins to the next session could we swap the rotors and fit them in that time ? Julian and Daz set about it while I sorted other stuff and they were makling good progress but werent going to be there in time Sad then by a stroke of luck a red flag in the club session bought us another 10 minutes and it was there with wheels on just as the cars headed out for pro session. Phew. Track was drying now and heat building I wound it up a little on the map to test the new cams so that I could build the map for later in the day. Onto the pit straight and full throttle to the end of the pit lane and then .... bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang .. holy fook !

I limped back to the pits trying to not get into the way and saw that the splitter had parted company with the front of the car and was pretty much dragging along the ground. Fittings that previously had taken my full weight while standing on the lip of the splitter, had obviously given way. Grr end of session while fixing it.

Having not done a full flying lap yet and pretty much spent the whole day sorting the car it was qualifying. I headed out and first lap the boost hose popped off, but I had to continue so that I could at least post a time on the board and cruise back to the pits garage. Hose frantically refitted by Julian and Daz and with 4 minutes to go I headed out again and started to wind it up and the exhaust gasket in the uppipe decided to blow through. Not normally a huge problem except when the hole is on the top edge on the subsequent heat/blow torch effect burns the wiring loom, coil pack, coil pack connector and makes it run on 3 cylinders. Argggghhh it was not going well Very Happy Very Happy

With just an hour to go for the final it was frantic again with Julian and Daz under the car sorting out a proper fix for the boost hose, repairing the wiring as best as they could and me fixing the exhaust all on a baking afternoon was not ideal lol. A gasket borrowed again (thansk Dave again Smile ) and it was done just in time phew again. Sweating like a pig and jumping into a car that must have been in the 50c for the final was not fun with sweat dripping down into my eyes but it was running sweetly and when it is working well it makes it worthwhile. I tried the best I could but could only manage a 53.8 on the best of the 5 full on laps i did that day in the final. 2.2 seconds off the pace of Gav. 6th place or last in some eyes but to be just out there at all was amazing and without teamwork and help from fellow competitors it would not have happened.

The car was getting very hot though so at the end of the session I set out with my favourite tool to allow more air to the oil cooler ... out with the mighty angle grinder and 1mm cutting disc Very Happy Very Happy It had to help

Saturday night and time for a shower, chill out, review datalogs, video, vbox data, jacuzzi in the hotel and a beer or two and some food (i hadnt eaten all day i found out) - great evening chilling with the guys and my family and a fresh start to sunday with a lovely cooked brekkie and a late start. We were ready for it again.

We had a few things to sort for sunday first thing but were hoping for a more relaxed day Very Happy

Practise session and the splitter decided to pull off AGAIN !! argh - straight into the pit garage and I got the drill and make damned sure it wasnt going to happen again and headed out with a few remaining minutes on the clock - it went well with an improvement in time over the final from saturday and still with plenty left on boost recording a 53.4. Cooling was fine although still getting warm and splashing some coolant from the overflow onto the pipework and engine when kerb hopping because the cap wasnt sealing on the top of the tank. Need to sort this.

A few checks over the car, bleed the brakes, map changes to enable use of nitrous and it was ready for Qualifying. A big and very welcome change from the mad amount of work we did on the saturday. This time the heat outside was unbearable and notch that up 20 degrees at least for what it was like in the car and qualifying was very hard and hot work. I finished 4th being pipped by Paul Doyle by 100th of a second for 3rd on his last lap. I got out of the car at the end of the session and almost passed out from the heat - i have never been that hot in my life !!

Feeling better after a can or two of red bull lol I needed to do better in the final and knew from the vbox data that 52.5 was my ideal lap on the power I had run up til then. So i turned it up again lol. 2.1 bar of boost and a 50 shot of nitrous should do it and try to get the best sectors all joined together in one lap. I tried but didnt manage it - 53.2 was the best from the final but reviewing datalogs it was slipping the clutch at that level at about 4800 (peak torque must have been good) and for some reason the nitrous hadnt come on as was on cal 7 not 8 wtf so nitrous off and do my best. It wasnt good enough but I had a great weekend and live to fight another day. Bring on cadwell Smile

Thanks as always to Julian and Daz, Bren and BC racing, sponsors, friends, family and supporters that came by the pit garage to show support. I know sometimes i can look stressed in there but it does help - thank you :notworthy

Congratulations to all those that took part this weekend - it was a hard weekend and even if they didnt have the issues it was still immensely difficult to prepare a car for a two day event, keep it running and deal with everything that the day throws at you - well done to them. Well done also to Paul Doyle for two good results, Gave for setting the pace and Marcus for taking the top slot on sunday :thumb:

Signing off now to do some work - see you at Cadwell in a few weeks where we hope to be sipping cheap nasty champagne.

Some Video in car:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Please excuse the nasty squeely pig tyres.
Back to top Go down
dynamix

dynamix

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptySun 17 Jul - 9:26

Big thanks to Bob at Hayes Dynotech in Dartford for allowing me to commandeer the dyno for some after work dyno time last week.

It was clear from the start that the clutch was going to have a big impact on events, unfortunately it was to play too much of an impact for me to get any meaningful results.

It was starting to slip a little at Brands at peak torque but that little turned into a lot LOL. As soon as I starting ramping up the power beyond the 640 level it was at before it went haywire and wouldnt play ball. Heyho.

Some good positives though are that the engine seems spot on and testing it on the dyno is the right place IMO. 640 was easy peesey and will do lots more and then some with the nitrous

In the meantime it has been down at Triton Motorsport in Bournemouth getting some well earned TLC and readying for the next round. John and Ringo have been helping me lose some weight out of the car and let me loose with the air saw and angle grinder while they dropped the gearbox off. So far around 30kgs of misc weight has been removed from it which I didnt think was bad going by way of the front U frame, lots of misc bracketry and various unneeded metalwork. Still some more to come.

Heat management has been a major issue and while the box is out we will be treating the tunnel to some heat proofing so as to stop it heating up and burning my feet and adding some venting in the floor to help remove the heat. Fingers crossed this works well.

Pic of the heat shielding done around the front of the tunnel area:

Obviously the gearbox is out to do this while awaiting the new clutch plates to clear customs. Hopefully they will be there shortly.

Exhaust, headers and turbo outlet pipe have been wrapped in some nice DEI Titanium wrap too by Ringo while I was busy with the angle grinder mwuhahaha lol.

Also been tidying up quite a few other jobs while it has been up on the ramps:

NOS bottle securely mounted in the boot now as it was wobbling around a little too much for comfort. Also added a nice hatch to the rear firewall to allow turning on of the bottle without removing the rear spoiler (cheers to Julian from CJS for sourcing this from the chandlers):

Whilst under the car cleaning and giving it some TLC we have made up some stronger mounts for the splitter and floor. It surprised me (and pleased me) quite a lot that the downforce created by this was in excess of 90kg (my weight).

There are a few more jobs to do on the to do before Cadwell but on the home stretch now ...
Back to top Go down
keffer

keffer

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptySun 17 Jul - 9:28

nice vid hope you have more luck next time Cool Smile
Back to top Go down
dynamix

dynamix

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyTue 23 Aug - 11:46

Finally uploaded the in car video from Cadwell Park:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Excuse the fly on the camera that makes it a bit blurry.

This was the lap before this happened:

No impact with anything just spokes gave way on extreme load around Coppice and gave a massive vibration - I pulled off the track and found that there was one spoke left intact and joining the rim to the hub !! One corner more or some braking etc and it would have been a VERY big off. Very lucky indeed.

All in all an interesting weekend but once these wheels were fooked I only had the 'slow' tyres left for the final and they were well off the pace Sad
Back to top Go down
hardy172

hardy172

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyWed 24 Aug - 22:00

affraid

mate thats mental is it a manufacturing fault or just one of them things?
Back to top Go down
phils (Rip off) scooby

phils (Rip off) scooby

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyThu 25 Aug - 22:59

duncan what fuel pumps you using mate
Back to top Go down
dynamix

dynamix

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyWed 21 Sep - 19:15

Took a small trip up to Surrey Rolling Road today to map the car with the new engine in - i had done a simple track map pre anglesey but now was time to optimise it.

Very chuffed with the results :

This is on the new 2.35 engine built by Finch Motorsport just before Anglesey, running custom Lateral internals and running e85 and a 75 dropping to 50 shot of nitrous

Red trace is without NOS - 730bhp and 600 lb/ft
Blue is with a little NOS - 778.80 & 663 lb/ft

2.1 bar tailing to 2.0 bar at peak power.

There is more in it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Robbo_22

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyWed 21 Sep - 19:41

Cool Cool Very impressive!! You must be pleased with that?!

Heard rumours that the Finch built motor is pretty special Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dynamix

dynamix

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyWed 21 Sep - 19:47

Robbo_22 wrote:
Cool Cool Very impressive!! You must be pleased with that?!

Heard rumours that the Finch built motor is pretty special Very Happy

Very pleased and yes very special - working really nicely and plenty more to come from it over time - it will do 800+ IMO
Back to top Go down
phil555

phil555

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyWed 21 Sep - 21:18

Cracking write up bud. Sounds like the car & you are doing very well.
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyWed 21 Sep - 21:39

Awesome Cool
Back to top Go down
dynamix

dynamix

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptySun 18 Mar - 7:43

Time to ressurect this thread and update a little on preparations for 2012 Time Attack.

Focus for this year will be more reliability - putting in a timed hot lap in every session of every round last year was testament to a good reliable car but needs to be quicker now Smile

With the new 2.35 engine going in towards the end of last year with just under 800bhp, the power is there to be competitive, now the car is on a diet Very Happy along with some sexiness in other areas.

Will update photos in the next week to show progress (there has been a good amount of work done) but still LOADS to do pre 2012 season to get it running again.

I am very proud to have the backing of BC Racing again for the season and existing sponsors from last year sticking with me / the car to build on what we have acheived - thiis year plans to be much better and with some new sponsors / supporters on board too, the future is looking good. More details soon Very Happy Very Happy

Anyway I will leave with a couple of simple pics:

New hydraulic release bearing from RCM to mate up with the pedal box :thumb:

The wiring loom from behind the dash eeeek that is now relegated to the bin while I make up a new loom which weighs a 1/10 th of what this does.

Some 3D scanning of the underside of the rear of the car ... more will be revealed on this soon Wink
Back to top Go down
Robbo_22

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptySun 18 Mar - 9:08

Cool Cool That wiring looms mental - there can't be any need for all that!

Liking the 3D scanning Wink

See you next week and good luck for the season! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dynamix

dynamix

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyTue 10 Apr - 8:48

Engine out and took some time to seal / heat proof the bulkhead and also fit the chassis loom connectors for the engine loom and car loom.

OBP pedal box and remote reservoirs fitted too.

Engine mounts refreshed as they get a bit of a battering:

Engine back in and loom in progress to find the best routing of the cables:

Loom weighs next to nothing compared with the original wiring that was ripped out !
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyTue 10 Apr - 9:11

Use those faro arms almost every day at work, would do the measurements a few times as some results can be misleading, great bit of kit though.
Back to top Go down
maxboost

maxboost

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 EmptyTue 10 Apr - 13:27

Jonny Gav wrote:
Use those faro arms almost every day at work,

Me to , exellent kit, & the 3D scanning is awsome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BC Racing Time Attack Impreza   BC Racing Time Attack Impreza - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

BC Racing Time Attack Impreza
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4