HomeRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
hardy172

hardy172

got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed   got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptyFri 6 May - 13:56

well small up date got the engine stripped down over last couple of days casings seem to be in ok condition.

Who ever built the engine beforehand had proper bodged it together (no comment on how it will be put back togeth please lol!) no gasket on sump (if there is ment to be one?) just the same orange shit you can see all over the heads and gaskets. the gaskets were literally falling apart and about 2.5mm thick. The orange stuff was literally everwhere it was in the water and oil pump all the water jackets in the sump on the mesh from the filler pipe thinghy! The cam cover has a sticker on from SMR engines dont know it it was them who built it previous or what. i know fook all but could tell it was a proper bodge job.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

somethin has been bouncing around in the cyliders the bores dont have any marks on them

casings seem ok

This is the best piston lol! could anyone see from looking at it if it is oversized or not?

the small number that is out of focus is an 8.

Last edited by hardy 172 on Fri 6 May - 21:49; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
keffer

keffer

got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed   got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptyFri 6 May - 17:23

i think you'd better get the casing cleaned before you start to make sure the bores arn't damaged with the thing bouncing around Smile
but lovely project when your done i'll give you my 2.5 l to build Laughing
Back to top Go down
Robbo_22

PostSubject: Re: got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed   got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptyFri 6 May - 18:18

Nice one Cool Good luck with it mate!
Back to top Go down
drew160387

PostSubject: Re: got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed   got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptyFri 6 May - 18:54

nice one mate looking into doing this myself once i have the current one running right. can never go wrong with a spare engine lol
Back to top Go down
hardy172

hardy172

PostSubject: Re: got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed   got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptyFri 6 May - 19:24

keffer wrote:
i think you'd better get the casing cleaned before you start to make sure the bores arn't damaged with the thing bouncing around Smile
but lovely project when your done i'll give you my 2.5 l to build Laughing

I will be bud, gonna get it strengthened bored then honed when I get all the bits together.
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed   got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptyFri 6 May - 20:20

Shocked someone has been happy with the silicone!

whats a biston by the way??? scratch
Back to top Go down
hardy172

hardy172

PostSubject: Re: got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed   got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptyFri 6 May - 21:50

Jonny Gav wrote:
Shocked someone has been happy with the silicone!

whats a biston by the way??? scratch

a shit piston...... lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
hardy172

hardy172

PostSubject: Re: got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed   got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptySat 7 May - 17:20

What's the crack with centre or rear thrust bearing crank. Was the one I took from my 2.5 a rear or centre thrust?
Back to top Go down
Rob84

Rob84

PostSubject: Re: got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed   got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptySat 7 May - 23:22

center thrust by the looks of the pics mate, The pistons that have come out are B-spec ones which have slightly more clearance to the A-spec one.
Back to top Go down
hardy172

hardy172

PostSubject: Re: got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed   got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptySun 8 May - 17:43

cheers pal.
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed   got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptySun 8 May - 19:07

Subaru moved from rear to center in 1998.
Back to top Go down
hardy172

hardy172

PostSubject: Re: got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed   got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptySun 8 May - 20:42

so was mine a centre thrust that i've removed?
Back to top Go down
Rob84

Rob84

PostSubject: Re: got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed   got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptySun 8 May - 21:26

hardy 172 wrote:
so was mine a centre thrust that i've removed?

yes most definitely was mate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hardy172

hardy172

PostSubject: Re: got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed   got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptySun 8 May - 22:26

cool cheers fella.

so the newer sti 2.5 cranks are rear thrust?
what extra work will need done to the block to make it fit?
Back to top Go down
Rob84

Rob84

PostSubject: Re: got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed   got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 EmptySun 8 May - 23:12

The newer 2.5 cranks are rear thrust cranks.

you need to have the block ground to accept a rear thrust bearing, I assume were the center thrust bearing is currently located would need to be build up and ground back but I'm sure one of the lads on here thats done it will inform you how to do it lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed   got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

got this to start a project with....shopping list and advice needed
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2