North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Bottom end rattle ;-((

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
crad08

crad08

Bottom end rattle ;-((  Empty
PostSubject: Bottom end rattle ;-((    Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptySun 22 Apr - 18:34

Well just been out in me car today and I was driving normal at 70mph , as I came to the roundabout and set off in 1st I noticed a rattle noise / knocking only when the revs got to around 2.5k revs , then as u put u foot down the car still shifted and boosted fine etc . Even though it had this knocking noise at 2.5k revs in every gear , any way I got to ferryhill and back to Darlington , the car got even stranger , the car wud now not boost past 0. Bar the turbo was howling really loud at 2.5k revs but the car wud not boost etc , there was no smoke etc or use of oil on boost etc , I managed to nurse car home , I manage to get m8 to have a quik look and he said the bottom end ,I thought this also as a rough guess, the car is a 97 classic , how much are the blocks to replace cheapest option , as I get married in Cuba in June and moneys tight ,, it may have to wait till after me wedding ,any help or advise if this sounds rite would be gratefull thanks
Back to top Go down
Andyg

Andyg

PostSubject: Re: Bottom end rattle ;-((    Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptySun 22 Apr - 18:43

Sorry to hear this mate, Sad That noise is horrible!

Id say to rebuild the Engine your self your looking at a Fair Chunk, a Garage even more, Depends what your over all plans are with the car, as fitting a 2nd hand engine could over a tiem be also a issue.

One of the Techy lads will be along to Give you more infromation.

Drop Finn or Drew a Line they will look after you in relation to doing the work sourcing parts etc
Back to top Go down
drew160387

PostSubject: Re: Bottom end rattle ;-((    Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptyMon 23 Apr - 8:23

Cheapest option is to buy shortblock and fit your heads to it and refit in car
Easiest is to change the engine for a good full engine
Imo if the funds are available rebuild yours but it gets very costly and rather exspensive if you had to get soneone to rebuild it for you
Back to top Go down
crad08

crad08

PostSubject: Re: Bottom end rattle ;-((    Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptyMon 23 Apr - 8:52

Hi thanks for the replys , that's all I'm looking at doing for now , just a mega cheap block and swap my stuff onto it , what sort of price does a basic one go for ? I hope I can afford one b4 me wedding , if not il have to get one after it , I will be able to fit it so it's just a block / engine I need cheers
Back to top Go down
drew160387

PostSubject: Re: Bottom end rattle ;-((    Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptyMon 23 Apr - 13:37

When ive been looking standard 2l open deck blocks can range from about 200 to 1500 depending how many miles on it and full engines anywhere from 400 if your lucky up to 1500 ish going rate is around 600 - 800 for run of mill turbos.

If your handy with a spanner its not too bad all the engines will fit too i beleive but befor you buy a block double check it does on here just incase. If its a full engine make sure its from the compatable age range mate
Back to top Go down
crad08

crad08

PostSubject: Re: Bottom end rattle ;-((    Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptyMon 23 Apr - 14:30

I was just going to use the manifold turbo etc off my engine to keep the costs down lol , fingers crossed I can find a cheap one thanks mate/
Back to top Go down
drew160387

PostSubject: Re: Bottom end rattle ;-((    Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptyMon 23 Apr - 15:44

They normaly come without turbo mate a few bottom ends on ebay but if i was you ide try finn or drew as they might have sonething failing that be carefull what you buy as theres alot of con artists out there on ebay
Back to top Go down
the-muttz-nutz

the-muttz-nutz

PostSubject: Re: Bottom end rattle ;-((    Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptyMon 23 Apr - 21:17

not a nice thing,,,,,,,,, I just had this happen to mine recently on a newage blob cost me best part of 1600 with gaskets and seals etc, but I bought a full sti engine and only used the block and managed to recoup a fair chunk by selling the heads and inlet manifolds etc as the sti stuff sells well and of coarse the help of a very good friend Andyg who spent 18 hours more or less non stop doing the work finishing at 3 in the morn
Back to top Go down
crad08

crad08

PostSubject: Re: Bottom end rattle ;-((    Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptyTue 24 Apr - 7:53

It was the worst noise I had ever heard lol , i'm no expert but deep down I knew what it was , I was driving home with butterflys / feeling sick knowing the engine had gone , like I say I wasn't booting it etc or running high boost , it just happend while I approched a roundabout , it only got serviced and that about a month or so ago with good oil etc not cheap , I'm on the taxi,s at the minute and the money not great , looking for a new job but no where taking on , get married in June , it could not have come at a worse time , iv put a wanted thread up fingers x I mite av sum good luck ,
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: Bottom end rattle ;-((    Bottom end rattle ;-((  EmptyTue 24 Apr - 8:16

Unlucky mate, theres never a good time, but this sounds like a crap time. As the boys have said, people like Kindon, Drew and Finn get cars through pretty regular for breaking/fixing etc. Failing that you could try someone like the Pike Master General himself aka Baldy, who seems to be able to turn up almost anything from god knows where.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bottom end rattle ;-((    Bottom end rattle ;-((  Empty

Back to top Go down

Bottom end rattle ;-((
Page 1 of 1