North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Here is my first erm er, project. EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Here is my first erm er, project. EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Here is my first erm er, project. EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Here is my first erm er, project. EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Here is my first erm er, project. EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Here is my first erm er, project.

Go down 
+2
StickT
CoastSteve
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CoastSteve

Here is my first erm er, project. Empty
PostSubject: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 21:22

Will see how it goes. Anyone know anything about it?

Here is my first erm er, project. Newtoy
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 21:29

Get some good pics up fella and even the bad bits and we can all help/advise on stuff...
Back to top Go down
CoastSteve

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 21:38

Stick wrote:
Get some good pics up fella and even the bad bits and we can all help/advise on stuff...

Oh the bad bits are extra special. Will try now.

Here is my first erm er, project. Scoobfront

Here is my first erm er, project. Betterside

Here is my first erm er, project. Extraspecialbit

I bet nobody has got a rear arch as nasty as that one.

Repair panel any ideas where I can get one that is somewhere near the right shape??
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 21:44

I could see your bruised panel and raise you with mine ( will get a picture)

You can buy quater panels on EBAY mate, have a browse, normally around £100.
Back to top Go down
drew160387

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 22:16

Slap the filler on lmao
Back to top Go down
CoastSteve

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 22:17

It's canny special, some more has fell off since that pic was taken. In between the bodge, yes between, someone has made a horrible job of trying to weld it. Thought they had been MMA it until I found 4" of MIG wire. lol

Picture doesn't show just how bad it is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 22:19

Ah you have managed to post your pics .. had me puzzled lol because we haven't normally got restrictions for posting pictures on new members Smile
Back to top Go down
natski

natski

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 22:19

At the end of the day your rear arches are going to rot anyway so its not much of a big deal. Get both sides done it don't look to bad of a motor to me from them pics
Back to top Go down
CoastSteve

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 22:21

Mrs_Mid_Life_Crisis wrote:
Ah you have managed to post your pics .. had me puzzled lol because we haven't normally got restrictions for posting pictures on new members Smile

First time I tried it came up saying that had to wait 7 days for external links but I think I was trying to use the wrong format, may not have been an img link.
Back to top Go down
CoastSteve

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 22:24

natski wrote:
At the end of the day your rear arches are going to rot anyway so its not much of a big deal. Get both sides done it don't look to bad of a motor to me from them pics

It could have been a lot worse for £600 with 11 months test and some tax. Biggest issue could be it misfiring and trying to stall out. That and it spraying oil out of somewhere onto something hot. Haven't got far enough to find out what that is yet, just smell it and see the smoke.
Back to top Go down
keffer

keffer

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 22:25

wow lots of rust there!!
looks like a fun project fixing the car Cool
Back to top Go down
natski

natski

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 22:29

CoastSteve wrote:
natski wrote:

It could have been a lot worse for £600 with 11 months test and some tax. Biggest issue could be it misfiring and trying to stall out. That and it spraying oil out of somewhere onto something hot. Haven't got far enough to find out what that is yet, just smell it and see the smoke.

Well if you have the time the money and the motivation to get it sorted I can't fault you bud.. Looks like your going to have a few fun weeks/months ahead of ya Smile
Back to top Go down
FINN
Admin
FINN

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 22:33

CoastSteve wrote:
natski wrote:

dont like too be the bearer ov bad news but from what you say it has the symptoms ov melted piston...

but for what you payed you carnt complain..
Back to top Go down
natski

natski

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 22:45

I had the same issues with a jap classic I bought not long ago. Burning oil and cutting out on idle. Think Finn is spot on with his estimation as mine also had a melted piston. I got it rebuilt and the bottom end shat itself so I got rid..
Back to top Go down
CoastSteve

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 22:49

You could well be right Finn, you know a lot more than me but as you say didn't give a lot for it.

I'm keeping fingers crossed that it isn't something as drastic as that. Has got a lot of miles on it though. 150k. Not sure I want to know what sort of cost a melted piston will end up costing to sort. I don't like spending a lot. The vectra that I gave you a lift home in last christmas only cost me £800 three years ago and I doubt I've spent that again since on tyres and getting it through it's MOT's.
Back to top Go down
CoastSteve

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 22:50

natski wrote:
I had the same issues with a jap classic I bought not long ago. Burning oil and cutting out on idle. Think Finn is spot on with his estimation as mine also had a melted piston. I got it rebuilt and the bottom end shat itself so I got rid..

How much did that cost you?
Back to top Go down
FINN
Admin
FINN

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 22:55

CoastSteve wrote:
You could well be right Finn, you know a lot more than me but as you say didn't give a lot for it.

I'm keeping fingers crossed that it isn't something as drastic as that. Has got a lot of miles on it though. 150k. Not sure I want to know what sort of cost a melted piston will end up costing to sort. I don't like spending a lot. The vectra that I gave you a lift home in last christmas only cost me £800 three years ago and I doubt I've spent that again since on tyres and getting it through it's MOT's.
av just clicked onto who you are lol, can just say recall my lift home lol, well it was xmas nite out Laughing Laughing

a compression test will verify if piston has melted or not..
Back to top Go down
natski

natski

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 22:57

It cost me £1400 new head gasket,piston,ring set,water pump also got the clutch changed whilst the box was out.. Was quoted £800-1000 without the clutch..

Your better off just swapping the engine there's plenty about for around £500
Back to top Go down
CoastSteve

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 22:59

FINN wrote:
CoastSteve wrote:

av just clicked onto who you are lol, can just say recall my lift home lol, well it was xmas nite out Laughing Laughing

a compression test will verify if piston has melted or not..

I didn't want to shout too loud who I am. Didn't know who knew what and what was said when me and her split.
Back to top Go down
CoastSteve

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 23:01

natski wrote:
It cost me £1400 new head gasket,piston,ring set,water pump also got the clutch changed whilst the box was out.. Was quoted £800-1000 without the clutch..

Your better off just swapping the engine there's plenty about for around £500

Yeah that's more than double what I paid for the car. Think I'd just end up breaking the car than paying a grand to fix it.
Back to top Go down
natski

natski

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 23:10

I'm sure Finn would swap the engine over quite cheap for ya bud. Top bloke is finn.. Don't tell him I said that tho lol
Back to top Go down
FINN
Admin
FINN

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 23:17

steve the past is the past.

a dont think person in question gets on here much anymore, either way am friends with both ov you...

give me a shout if you need any help with the scoob
Back to top Go down
CoastSteve

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyMon 12 Nov - 23:25

Cheers, will start with a new tyre and unless there is something really funny about them I should be able to put some new pads in. As for the rest.......... will see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
drew160387

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyTue 13 Nov - 21:54

I bring bad news too just reread the thread and from symtoms you describe its done a piston in .
I did mine in my old uk car it also bles the rear crank seal and spewed oil from starter motor area aswell as out the dump valve.
However i do have 2 spare pistons and a spare set of rods here you can have for nothing if need be and finn could swap piston over . New hesdgaskets will be needed but saves doing it in future Smile
Back to top Go down
CoastSteve

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. EmptyWed 14 Nov - 1:02

drew160387 wrote:
I bring bad news too just reread the thread and from symtoms you describe its done a piston in .
I did mine in my old uk car it also bles the rear crank seal and spewed oil from starter motor area aswell as out the dump valve.
However i do have 2 spare pistons and a spare set of rods here you can have for nothing if need be and finn could swap piston over . New hesdgaskets will be needed but saves doing it in future Smile

Wow, amazing the help you lot are willing to give on here. If it can be fixed without absolutely massive cost then that would be amazing but I wouldn't want to expect anything from anyone. Also a case of where it can be done and how much of peoples time it would take up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here is my first erm er, project.   Here is my first erm er, project. Empty

Back to top Go down

Here is my first erm er, project.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next