North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
D4VEW557

D4VEW557

Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. Empty
PostSubject: Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work.   Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptySun 20 Jun - 21:55

I'm currently replacing my gauges the oil pressure and temp gauges fitted are mechanical, when removing them i had to cut the pipe in to the oil temp gauge as it wouldn't come out. It then started leaking some fluid when the car is running, it has a very distinctive smell and i can't for the life of me thing what it is.

The new gauges will be electronic so for the pressure gauge it's a simple case of replacing the pipe with a sender but will the temp sender go to the same place as the capilary pipe off the mechanical gauge.

One other thing if any one is planning on fitting gauges on the a pillar buy a tailor fitting gauge pod they are twice the price of a universal one but i wish i'd spent the extra, i've spent all day cutting and fiberglassing, cutting and sanding to get it to even nearly fit nice.

Last edited by D4VEW557 on Sun 20 Jun - 22:37; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FINN
Admin
FINN

PostSubject: Re: Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work.   Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptySun 20 Jun - 22:09

where did the oil pipe come off the block?

underneath the alternator or above one ov the cylinders??
Back to top Go down
D4VEW557

D4VEW557

PostSubject: Re: Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work.   Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptySun 20 Jun - 22:20

FINN wrote:
where did the oil pipe come off the block?

underneath the alternator or above one ov the cylinders??

Neather. The pipe for the temp sensor disappears under the engine it looks like it goes to the sump.

The oil pressure pipe came from underneath alternator area.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work.   Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptySun 20 Jun - 22:24

D4VEW557 wrote:

Neather. The pipe for the temp sensor disappears under the engine it looks like it goes to the sump.

sandwich plate above the oil filter?
Back to top Go down
D4VEW557

D4VEW557

PostSubject: Re: Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work.   Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptySun 20 Jun - 22:32

yellowperil wrote:
D4VEW557 wrote:

Quite possibly. I will investigate tomorrow when i can get the car on a ramp.

It's the fluid thats in th pipe that has me stumped i know the smell and can't think what it is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work.   Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptySun 20 Jun - 23:38

D4VEW557 wrote:
yellowperil wrote:
D4VEW557 wrote:

Quite possibly. I will investigate tomorrow when i can get the car on a ramp.

It's the fluid thats in th pipe that has me stumped i know the smell and can't think what it is.

If these gauges are the same as the ones I had years back, the fluid in the pipe will be engine oil as they need a supply of it to the gauge to read pressure temps etc. As opposed to the electronic ones which use a sensor in the block.

Peter
Back to top Go down
D4VEW557

D4VEW557

PostSubject: Re: Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work.   Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptySun 20 Jun - 23:44

The pressure gauge pipe is taped in to the oil way so it's filled with oil, however the temp pipe isn't the fliud in this is much thinner like water but has a strong smell
Back to top Go down
D4VEW557

D4VEW557

PostSubject: Re: Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work.   Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptyMon 21 Jun - 23:37

Ok had a look today the pipe goes to the sump. where the sump plug would normaly be there is a union with the sensor screwed in to it.
Back to top Go down
pitchblack

pitchblack

PostSubject: Re: Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work.   Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptyWed 23 Jun - 20:33

The fluid in the pipe is a chemical fluid thats reacts to heat, this then causes pressure given you the reading. Wink

Back to top Go down
D4VEW557

D4VEW557

PostSubject: Re: Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work.   Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptyFri 25 Jun - 18:07

I see. it smells like turps. It will be replaced by electronic sensor. Will that just go in the same place.

Last edited by D4VEW557 on Fri 25 Jun - 22:48; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FINN
Admin
FINN

PostSubject: Re: Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work.   Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptyFri 25 Jun - 22:10

D4VEW557 wrote:
I see. it sells like turps. It will be replaced by electronic sensor. Will that just go in the same place.
personally i wouldnt refit a sensor in that position.

and u will probably find a electronic sensor wont fit there anyway mate

Back to top Go down
D4VEW557

D4VEW557

PostSubject: Re: Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work.   Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptyFri 25 Jun - 22:49

Is the only other option a sandwich plate
Back to top Go down
FINN
Admin
FINN

PostSubject: Re: Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work.   Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. EmptyFri 25 Jun - 23:02

sensor can also be fitted above cylinder 3, or addapter can be fitted to existing oil pressure sensor (underneath alternator).

call in and see alyn at AS performance, he was doing o good deal on adapters for oil temp/pressure Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work.   Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work. Empty

Back to top Go down

Any one know how mechanical oil temp gauges work.
Page 1 of 1