North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Think thrust bearing noise EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Think thrust bearing noise EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Think thrust bearing noise EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Think thrust bearing noise EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Think thrust bearing noise EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Think thrust bearing noise EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Think thrust bearing noise EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Think thrust bearing noise EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Think thrust bearing noise EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Think thrust bearing noise

Go down 
+3
Launch Graphics
maca
andyden71
7 posters
AuthorMessage
andyden71

andyden71

Think thrust bearing noise Empty
PostSubject: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise EmptyMon 28 Oct - 16:04

I had a new clutch fitted about 2 weeks ago iv noticed a whining noise when accelerating when I take foot off accelerator pedal it go's or when pressing clutch in its starting to drive me mad now
Back to top Go down
maca

maca

PostSubject: Re: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise EmptyMon 28 Oct - 16:20

I had this and it turned out to be rear diff, got worse and worse over time
Back to top Go down
Launch Graphics

PostSubject: Re: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise EmptyMon 28 Oct - 19:10

a fubard thrust bearing can usually be identified by depressing the clutch when stationary. you might feel resonance through the pedal and a light grating sort of noise. that's the way i was told a long time ago anyway
Back to top Go down
andyden71

andyden71

PostSubject: Re: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise EmptyMon 28 Oct - 19:43

Only seems to happen when driving don't think it's the thrust bearing
Back to top Go down
andyden71

andyden71

PostSubject: Re: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise EmptyMon 28 Oct - 20:02

Defo only get noise on accelerating when I take foot off the noise go's but comes bk when pressed again sounds like a air leak noise or a scrapping noise
Back to top Go down
Andy Kindon

PostSubject: Re: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise EmptyMon 28 Oct - 21:13

call over I should be able to tell you exactly what is causing it, hard to say without hearing it as ur describing as whining noise, air leak and scrapping bud
Back to top Go down
andyden71

andyden71

PostSubject: Re: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise EmptyMon 28 Oct - 22:00

I will get over in a day or to Andy
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise EmptyMon 28 Oct - 23:27

Does it do it when standing still when revved ?
Does it only do it when under load/driving ?
Does it do this noise in all gears ?
Does it vary in pitch/tone etc ... ?
Back to top Go down
andyden71

andyden71

PostSubject: Re: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise EmptyMon 28 Oct - 23:49

Only under load can't remember hearing it when ticking over iv got crap hearing plus the noise of the car makes it harder to work out
Back to top Go down
hill79

hill79

PostSubject: Re: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise EmptyTue 29 Oct - 14:42

Sounds the same as a mystery symptom mines developed recently. Tends to only start once the cars warmed up, only happens under load but in all gears, backing off the accelerator or pressing down the clutch stops it right away, pitch rises with engine speed, doesn't do it when stationary and revved, doesn't get worse when cornering, car drives fine otherwise - sound about right Andyden71?
Back to top Go down
andyden71

andyden71

PostSubject: Re: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise EmptyTue 29 Oct - 14:44

That sounds spot on hill79 it's hard to work out what kind if noise it is
Back to top Go down
hill79

hill79

PostSubject: Re: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise EmptyTue 29 Oct - 14:49

Yeah, its an odd noise, sounds like something intermittently rubbing as it turns around (to me!). I had mine in to Alyn at AS Performance at the weekend, he didn't have time to do much more than go for a spin down the road for a listen and he wasn't immediately sure what it is, gearbox is the prime suspect I think though and thats not his area of expertise - He said he was going to speak to a few people this week and see if he can get any clues. I'll let you know if he comes up with anything that might be useful!
Back to top Go down
andyden71

andyden71

PostSubject: Re: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise EmptyTue 29 Oct - 16:14

Wow mate don't be givin me a bloody heart attack iv just had a engine rebuild iv gearbox did go tho think I'd get a 6 speed to put bk in
Back to top Go down
hill79

hill79

PostSubject: Re: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise EmptyTue 29 Oct - 16:20

haha sorry, thats just my speculation based what Alyn said after a 5min drive! He seemed to think it was more gearbox related rather than engine - nothing else about the gearbox suggests its on its way out though, it changes smoothly, doesn't pop out of gear or grind etc.
Back to top Go down
james

james

PostSubject: Re: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise EmptyTue 29 Oct - 21:47

Defo bearing in gearbox as mine has got same problem there must b a bug going round 3 gearboxes in a week lol
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise EmptyTue 29 Oct - 22:16

Release bearing, gearbox internal bearings ... Could be a few things.
Back to top Go down
hill79

hill79

PostSubject: Re: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise EmptyMon 4 Nov - 9:35

Bit of an update on the issue I'm having, which might be of help to andyden71 - at least as a hint to not rule anything out!

A horrible scraping/grinding noise started as I was backing off my drive the other morning, after a trip to Alyn's on Saturday morning it turned out the guard at the rear of the passenger brake disc had taken a knock and was rubbing, easy enough to sort out by pushing it back in to place...

but!

While he was sorting that out, he found the back of the disc, the pad and part of the caliper is covered in grease. CV boot is intact, and no sign of grease anywhere else, so not sure where its come from other than perhaps someone using grease on a pad rather than copper-slip, at some point. It also looks like theres a stuck piston there too (although the brakes are working fine), so what we now think is causing the sound is the stuck piston causing the pad to rub on the greased disc and, once it gets hot, making the weird noise.

Next step is to get the wheel off and have a proper look, its just a case of finding time with Alyn as hes a very busy guy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Think thrust bearing noise   Think thrust bearing noise Empty

Back to top Go down

Think thrust bearing noise
Page 1 of 1