North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Help :  hawkeye shake EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Help :  hawkeye shake EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Help :  hawkeye shake EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Help :  hawkeye shake EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Help :  hawkeye shake EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Help :  hawkeye shake EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Help :  hawkeye shake EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Help :  hawkeye shake EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Help :  hawkeye shake EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Help : hawkeye shake

Go down 
+2
Marshffs
Tc1633
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tc1633

Help :  hawkeye shake Empty
PostSubject: Help : hawkeye shake   Help :  hawkeye shake EmptyTue 29 Apr - 20:23

Would really appreciate help and/or best place to go in newcastle... My 55 plate hawkeye wrx has developed an increasingly bad steering wheel shake ... A bit like a wheel balance issue but it's not as I have had that checked (including the subaru place in Hexham also swapped wheels with another car and the shake was still there). It's noticeable more and more the faster I go and at motorway speed it's now become very obvious. Don't think it's discs. I also have not kerbed it or anything. The guy in Hexham mentioned something about a balancing element of the drivetrain (I think) but could be expensive to strip down until something may or may not be found. Also don't think it's suspension related as that was also checked recently. Any suggestions welcome .. Thank you in advance.....
Back to top Go down
Marshffs

Marshffs

PostSubject: Re: Help : hawkeye shake   Help :  hawkeye shake EmptyTue 29 Apr - 20:26

Probably rack ends.
Have a look in traders section mate, there is a few lads who will take a look. Andy Kindon being the closest maybe.
Back to top Go down
Scooberuni

Scooberuni

PostSubject: Re: Help : hawkeye shake   Help :  hawkeye shake EmptyTue 29 Apr - 21:26

The only time I've had a shaky steering wheel Is when the brake caliper has been sticking on.
I've had this problem on a couple of cars now, the brake sticks causing friction which sends a vibration up to your steering wheel which increases the faster you go. You can tell if you have this problem by examining the wheel, if it feels really hot after a short journey and you have loads of brake dust on the wheel then its the caliper sticking. If not then it might be the track rod ends like Marshffs says.
Back to top Go down
andybish

andybish

PostSubject: Re: Help : hawkeye shake   Help :  hawkeye shake EmptyTue 29 Apr - 22:00

some times tyres can become castled like _____i-i_i-i_i-i______ wich can cause this especially if ya wheels are balanced but they could simply be buckled and some one may have got them balanced but they can still be buckled ya will need to get them on a balancing machine and visually look at the inside rims for wobble as the wheels is spinning up

Back to top Go down
andybish

andybish

PostSubject: Re: Help : hawkeye shake   Help :  hawkeye shake EmptyTue 29 Apr - 22:02

i didnt see the part about wheels have been changed so that advice is no good what about a wobbly drive shaft?
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: Help : hawkeye shake   Help :  hawkeye shake EmptyWed 30 Apr - 7:35

I had a problem on my Blobeye that we chased around the car for quite a while and was eventually put down to my hub & hub carrier. When Dr Kindon took it apart it literally fell to pieces in his hands. Car was aligned and balanced fine, but the wobble was there and for me even worse when braking. If you can stretch your journey to chester le street youve got two very good options to get it looked at : Kindon and Drew (details available in Your Business section)
Back to top Go down
garyblake

garyblake

PostSubject: Re: Help : hawkeye shake   Help :  hawkeye shake EmptyWed 30 Apr - 15:04

I had steering shake in past but was tyres un even wear would get worse the faster you went

Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: Help : hawkeye shake   Help :  hawkeye shake EmptyWed 30 Apr - 15:52

garyblake wrote:
I had steering shake in past but was tyres un even wear would get worse the faster you went

Was that shortly before they fell off ??  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
garyblake

garyblake

PostSubject: Re: Help : hawkeye shake   Help :  hawkeye shake EmptyWed 30 Apr - 18:39

lol!  they just came of mate no warning on scooby just wanted to spin affraid 

Was on about my corsa when I bought it  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Tc1633

PostSubject: Re: Help : hawkeye shake   Help :  hawkeye shake EmptyWed 30 Apr - 22:23

Thanks so far!!! Had it quickly looked at today and initially appears track rod ends etc maybe ok. Possibly could be drive shaft balance so garage is suggesting further look which may lead to removal and checking of driveshaft balance. Anyone experienced this?
Back to top Go down
Tc1633

PostSubject: Re: Help : hawkeye shake   Help :  hawkeye shake EmptyWed 7 May - 17:09

Have now had the car to Gilesgate Hexham who are finding it difficult to diagnose. again, wheels swapped with another car, steering & suspension checked. no obvious issues. they are suggesting sending driveshafts off for refurbishing but they dont really think this will fix it. so - stuck. difficult to get to chester le street. might end up spending hundreds on driveshaft but still be left with problem. car only done 60k - no knocks, kerbing etc. looked after. steering wheel vibration noticable through my fingers from 40mph+ and visibly obvious on the steering wheel from 65 onwards. doesnt change with acceleration, breaking, cornering etc. further ideas welcome...
Back to top Go down
Marshffs

Marshffs

PostSubject: Re: Help : hawkeye shake   Help :  hawkeye shake EmptyWed 7 May - 17:46

When I had similar problem on my wagon, the rack end, looks similar to a drum stick, had a very thin metal plate on the end, its about 1mm thick. This plate had fell out causing the play in the steering. You cant see if the plate is there until you take the rack end out.
This was my problem with similar issues.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help : hawkeye shake   Help :  hawkeye shake Empty

Back to top Go down

Help : hawkeye shake
Page 1 of 1