North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ste162

ste162

air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? Empty
PostSubject: air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ?   air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? EmptyTue 9 Sep - 21:59

replaced my rad for a big fat alloy one recently and i thought we had bled the coolant system properly as all seemed okay but then...

replaced the uppipe to turbo gasket and turbo oil feed line with a new one at the weekend and obviously had to remove the turbo to do this along with the coolant feed so its all back together now and noticed the temp was just about to climb past normal when so i turned it off and tried the conventional method of squeezing pipes etc

heaters got hot however the bottom of the rad was still freezing, ahhhh what to do ? any ideas ?
Back to top Go down
Marshffs

Marshffs

PostSubject: Re: air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ?   air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? EmptyTue 9 Sep - 22:14

Air lock mate. Subaru's have a self bleed system, fill with water when engine is off. When you can't get no more water in, turn heater to hot but not blowing. Start car and keep topping water up if required. Squeeze bottom hose a few times to help get air out. Then wait for air to get out and thermo to open and fans turning on. Helps if you rev car throughout aswel just a bit
Back to top Go down
ste162

ste162

PostSubject: Re: air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ?   air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? EmptyTue 9 Sep - 22:25

this is what i was doing for about an hour earlier except i had my heaters blowing.

1. engine off
2. heaters set to hot but fans not blowing
3. fill to spill with coolant
4. engine on and squeeze bottom rad hose
5. wait for fans and thermostat to kick in

repeat as necessary ?

just out of interest whats the significance of the blowers not being turned on and do you know the nominal temp that the thermostat opens at so i can watch it on my little obd2 computer thing

Back to top Go down
Marshffs

Marshffs

PostSubject: Re: air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ?   air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? EmptyWed 10 Sep - 6:38

Its around 90 odd degree's I think. Im unsure why you shouldn put the fans on.
Back to top Go down
ste162

ste162

PostSubject: Re: air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ?   air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? EmptyWed 10 Sep - 15:37

Quick thanks for your advice mate worked a treat no cold spots on the rad anywhere temp is holding perfectly

Information only for anyone else that may be interested the radiators kick in at 96 degrees as does the thermostat and will continue until temp falls to 86 to 88 degrees
Back to top Go down
Marshffs

Marshffs

PostSubject: Re: air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ?   air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? EmptyWed 10 Sep - 15:38

No probs bud. Its info off others on here. On my blue wagon it took 3 attempts to get it rite.
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ?   air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? EmptyWed 10 Sep - 20:20

What make of radiator is fitted ?
Back to top Go down
ste162

ste162

PostSubject: Re: air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ?   air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? EmptyWed 10 Sep - 21:29

Mushimoto or something along those lines
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ?   air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ? Empty

Back to top Go down

air lock, bleeding coolant any tips, special tools required ?
Page 1 of 1