North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Destroyed spark plug???????

Go down 
+2
Col@CRAutomotive
impretzive
6 posters
AuthorMessage
impretzive

impretzive

Destroyed spark plug??????? Empty
PostSubject: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySat 27 Nov - 22:00

Evening all,

Finn thanks for the help and Drew thanks for the part and the advice....appears you were correct with the misfire.....disconnected the leads from the coil pack one by one while running and when disconnected the front nearside one ....no change. So i removed the spark plug and its is destroyed...... the one on the left is the plug from the nearside front bank and the one on the right is from the rear nearside bank...... anyone got any idea how this could get like this? or would it just be a dodgy plug?

www.hodgsonuk.com/david/sparkplugs.jpg

Cheers

Dave H
Back to top Go down
Col@CRAutomotive

Col@CRAutomotive

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySat 27 Nov - 22:50

very old plugs or running very lean or very rich
Back to top Go down
FINN
Admin
FINN

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySat 27 Nov - 23:43

bloody hell , first time av seen a plug do that Shocked

has the tip actually melted?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 28 Nov - 3:28

some hellish gapping on that! lol!
Back to top Go down
Col@CRAutomotive

Col@CRAutomotive

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 28 Nov - 8:36

seen it before on a astra gsi when customer was running car with *ucked lambda sensor
only prob u may have is were has the tip gone ? could be stuck to piston top , exeted through turbo blades , happens when cylinder temps exeed limmit . realy suprised it has not cooked a piston or two
Back to top Go down
unit-d

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 28 Nov - 9:33

yup they do it when running lean, if you check your piston you will probs see aload of detination, lukly the car hasnt locked up
Back to top Go down
impretzive

impretzive

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 28 Nov - 9:45

Morning, aye the end has actualy disintigrated....theres nowt left of it! I was thinking the same thing ohhhhh shit where has the end gone Shocked i am off for some new plugs this morning as we need the car (snow) so the engine will probably blow up next week Crying or Very sad

Cheers for the replies lads....
Back to top Go down
unit-d

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 28 Nov - 9:48

new plugs wont help, if the engines running lean
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 28 Nov - 12:24

It may have only been a faulty plug!

Seen it happen with champion plugs in my old RS's and cossies but never seen it with NGK's.

Did it have the correct plugs fitted in the first place?

It should have had NGK PFR6B or PFR7B plugs fitted.

Well worth getting it checked for det/correct Afr's to be sure it's running correctly, also worth putting a scope down to check the piston condition to know for sure.

Andy Kindon has a scope and a wide band for checking AFR's so will be worth giving him a shout to give it a once over.

I will be dropping my det cans off with him on Monday so he will have the full kit for checking your car this week.

Back to top Go down
impretzive

impretzive

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 28 Nov - 12:40

Jonny Gav wrote:
It may have only been a faulty plug!

Seen it happen with champion plugs in my old RS's and cossies but never seen it with NGK's.

Did it have the correct plugs fitted in the first place?

It should have had NGK PFR6B or PFR7B plugs fitted.

Well worth getting it checked for det/correct Afr's to be sure it's running correctly, also worth putting a scope down to check the piston condition to know for sure.

Andy Kindon has a scope and a wide band for checking AFR's so will be worth giving him a shout to give it a once over.

I will be dropping my det cans off with him on Monday so he will have the full kit for checking your car this week.

Cheers Jonny,

Aye they were the NGK platinum i got em from Camskill last year off the "impreza" page so i assume they were correct .... i have a scope so im going out now to stick it down for a look.... scratch if the piston is fooked what then! new pistons i presume.....?
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 28 Nov - 12:58

Yeah, check all round the edge of the piston for damage and the piston crown for poc marks (sign of det) also a clean carbon free piston is a sign of det.

If all ok then still get it checked for fueling and det though.

From the photo of the spark plug it doesn't look melted, can you see any signs of melting on the ground electrode?
Back to top Go down
impretzive

impretzive

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 28 Nov - 13:07

Jonny Gav wrote:
Yeah, check all round the edge of the piston for damage and the piston crown for poc marks (sign of det) also a clean carbon free piston is a sign of det.

If all ok then still get it checked for fueling and det though.

From the photo of the spark plug it doesn't look melted, can you see any signs of melting on the ground electrode?

No melting at all it looks more like the middle has disintegrated nothings melted at all - here a pic i just took of the top of the piston dont look good or does it?

www.hodgsonuk.com/david/piston.jpg

Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 28 Nov - 13:20

Destroyed spark plug??????? Ae238e3c

This is what a damaged piston looks like, can't see any damage on the crown of yours from that pic.
Back to top Go down
impretzive

impretzive

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 28 Nov - 13:26

Jonny Gav wrote:
Destroyed spark plug??????? Ae238e3c

This is what a damaged piston looks like, can't see any damage on the crown of yours from that pic.

phew....no it lloks nowt like that thank god....i am just putting the new plugs in now i think the plug may have been dodgy ...do you think the part thats come out will have just burned up or may it have gone through the exhaust valves....i am just worried about the turbo thats all...
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 28 Nov - 13:37

The tip of a plug is small so can easy go through the exhaust valve and the turbo without touching it or causing any damage, if it jams in the valve seat it could stop the valve from closing properly but that will become clear when you start it up with the new plugs in, if it has jammed in the valve seat there will be no compression so it will sound like it is running on 3.

Doubt something so small would have any effect on the turbo exhaust wheel to be honest.
Back to top Go down
impretzive

impretzive

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 28 Nov - 13:50

Jonny Gav wrote:
The tip of a plug is small so can easy go through the exhaust valve and the turbo without touching it or causing any damage, if it jams in the valve seat it could stop the valve from closing properly but that will become clear when you start it up with the new plugs in, if it has jammed in the valve seat there will be no compression so it will sound like it is running on 3.

Doubt something so small would have any effect on the turbo exhaust wheel to be honest.

Cheers Jonny, thats what i like....positive reassurance Smile i will let you know.

thanks mate
Back to top Go down
impretzive

impretzive

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 28 Nov - 16:10

SORTED !!! (for now at least) TBH prob nees Re-map got no cats and blitz induction etc etc ...

cheers for the help lads.
Back to top Go down
drew@drewsautos

drew@drewsautos

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 28 Nov - 17:59

Glad ya sorted, defo sounded like a miss from wot ya discribed yesterday
Back to top Go down
impretzive

impretzive

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 28 Nov - 21:12

drew wrote:
Glad ya sorted, defo sounded like a miss from wot ya discribed yesterday

Cheers Drew ...looks like you were spot on mate.

I took her out earlier and pulled on the main road (covered with snow) and put my foot down like i have been doing the last few days (running on 3 cylinders ) but this time she took off like a fooking rocket .....sideways...... Very Happy

Our lass was not impressed i got a torrent of abuse off her saying "you did that on purpose!" i protest my innocence but wellllllllll....maybe i did Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? EmptySun 28 Nov - 21:35

Laughing Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Destroyed spark plug???????   Destroyed spark plug??????? Empty

Back to top Go down

Destroyed spark plug???????
Page 1 of 1