North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dudsy

Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* Empty
PostSubject: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyThu 6 May - 21:16

When im changing gear on my 97wrx especially when warm and under heavy load. Theres a quite high pitched squeel and my turbo VF22 has been whistling a hell of a lot. And has got worse over the past 2 days?

Sorry if its abit vague. Hope you understand

Last edited by dudsy on Wed 19 May - 8:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
phil555

phil555

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyFri 7 May - 7:47

Have all the pipes been fitted corectlly?
Back to top Go down
dudsy

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyFri 7 May - 8:34

I believe so yes. I've had inter-cooler off and made sure its back on properly. Fairly tempted just to take car of the road and put a 2.5 in and bigger turbo and 6 speed box in :O but i think ill miss the summer in my car lol Sad
Back to top Go down
Micawrx

Micawrx

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyFri 7 May - 8:44

Is there a loss in performance?
Back to top Go down
dudsy

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyFri 7 May - 8:46

Boosts strong through all gears. Hopefully going to fit a boost gauge next week to find out!
Back to top Go down
Micawrx

Micawrx

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyFri 7 May - 9:34

I have got a similar issue with mine...

....its if the downpipe to system gasket in the exhaust, only leaks (squeals) on boost... worth a check..

Gasket is £22-£30 dependant on supplier.
Back to top Go down
dudsy

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyFri 7 May - 12:32

Maybe worth a try. will have a look at it when i get chance Smile will test it before i replace it tho if theres a way
Back to top Go down
dudsy

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyWed 12 May - 8:09

Well i blew the turbo on sunday.... Well i believe i have. No power what so ever. Cars currently in bits in the barn Sad
Back to top Go down
Micawrx

Micawrx

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyWed 12 May - 8:55

Sorry to hear that... good luck with the repairs
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyWed 12 May - 21:30

The vf22 is notorious for doing this, the compressor wheel is very fragile.

My advice would be replace it with a vf30, vf34, vf43 or vf48, all much stronger turbo's.
Back to top Go down
dudsy

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyThu 13 May - 8:32

On all 5 of my scoobs they have all had VF22's on but its just this car that likes to make them go pop. Damn Sad im just putting a vf22 on again as i have got one. And i cant afford to get my car re-mapped again. Only had it mapped a month ago and a simtek put on. So my spare vf22 it is for now until winter Smile

Is there a way you can check the compressor wheel?
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyThu 13 May - 15:38

Anything over 1.3 bar of boost is danger level with the vf22, when you take it off you will most likely see the compressor wheel fins broken off caused by thrust bearing collapse, this causes the compressor wheel to be pushed into the front cover, running a very tight dump valve or antilag will also kill this turbo in no time.
If you are running over 1.3 bar expect your spare turbo to go the same way.
Back to top Go down
dudsy

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyThu 13 May - 16:18

well turbo is coming off this evening so will see what the compressor wheel looks like. Im not running anti lag.... after next winter i hope to be running it Smile

Dumpvalve wise im running a baileys not a massive fan tempted to take it off. i was going to but i cant remember how the standard re-circ went on my ver4.... so was abit stumped.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
dudsy

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyFri 14 May - 8:42

Well i removed the turbo last night.... All looked fine at a distance, i then had a close look at the exhaust fan ( dont no correct terminalogy ) and it seemed to have ground down the fins. I then span the fans and noticed that it wasnt spinning evenly and the fan looked more egg shaped when spinning. I also noticed the down pipe gasket was blowing. wich could contrabute towards the noise. ( Would this of happend due to some sheer heat? )

New turbo going on next week, oil + filter, coolant change also new up-pipe gasket and also a new down pipe gasket.

Hopefully should run sweet when i get all the bits fitted again! Smile
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyFri 14 May - 18:04

If it won't spin freely the bearing has failed, when the bearings fail it allows the compressor wheel to hit the cover and the exhaust wheel to hit the housing, its good it didn't break off the compressor fins as they can be ingested by the engine and cause all sorts of trouble
Back to top Go down
dudsy

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyFri 14 May - 20:30

I was glad when i pulled the turbo off and all the fins where in tacked! Got to wait till next week now till i can fit the other turbo! Fingers X all goes well and i have boost again! Any recommendations for when i put everything together? pull crank sensor off and turn car over to push some oil round the system?
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyFri 14 May - 21:11

Yeah, that is a very good idea, that will get some oil into the turbo before any gasses go through it Wink

How much boost are you running?
Back to top Go down
dudsy

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptySat 15 May - 17:28

Im not sure what boost it is running i dont have a boost gauge. And i wasnt with the car when it was getting mapped. Ill ring up my mapper and find out. if he remembers Smile
Back to top Go down
dudsy

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyWed 19 May - 8:24

Well turbo is now on. No whining from turbo which is a nice change! still have a couple of minor issues though! I Took my car out for a little spin just to check all was AOK! boosted fine, then stopped and turned round and there was plooms of smoke which i believe to be coolant (i couldn't see out the windscreen there was that much) Went back to the barn scratched my head and couldn't see a coolant leak..... Took it out again same distance different direction, boosted up the hill and round a slight corner and it squealed... Stopped again and plooms of smoke again! Opened the bonnet and still couldn't see a leak. I Then decided to trap my fingers in the bonnet! Squealed like a bitch for a couple of mins and headed back to scratch my head!

Coolant doesn't seem to of dropped. (Could it be a water pipe just opening up slightly due to weak clips? or when i took old turbo off did a lot of coolant go every where...

on the squeal note... Possibly dump valve? Maybe going to put the standard re-circ back on. Only thing is i cant remember which way round it goes? and how its supposed to look as its been off for that long! Does anyone have a picture of a standard re-circ on a version 4?

Any guidance will be brilliant as I am a bit stumped!

Cheers
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyWed 19 May - 9:03

I had a squealing moment when I drove the car like a twat on the A66 t'other day. Does it sound like a WW2 wellington bomber now, coz if it does, I'd blown the gaskets apart either end of the uppipe and blown a hole in the actual pipe itself. clown
Back to top Go down
dudsy

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyWed 19 May - 9:06

lol sounds a tad different to a Wellington bomber Wink
I replaced up pipe and down pipe with genuine subaru bits :O bloody expensive bits lol Very Happy

Sounds more like boost leak high pitch daffy duck.

Just a quick thought. As i changed water pipes over. Is there tourque settings for the water pipes?
(changed them due to one been slightly corroded)
Back to top Go down
dudsy

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyWed 19 May - 10:49

Can some one put this on scabbynet? as it says i dont have the priveledges to post lol :/ not sure why. Would be much appreciated
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyThu 20 May - 8:45

Sounds like you have some coolant lying on the top of the block, when you are driving it it will spill onto the headers and cause loads of steam, if your not loosing coolant then there is nothing to worry about.

As for v4 dump valve, as it is a recirc valve it looks like this-

http://jdmperformance.co.uk/images/products/FMDVV4011.jpg

the bottom outlet on the pic goes on the pipe for the intercooler and the side outlet goes to the pipe that runs under the manifold.

when the rally guys used to run v4 imprezas in group N (everything has to be standard) they used to run them back to front, this effectively stops the valve blowing open at high boost.
I ran one of these valves in standard position at 1.5 bar without any issues though.
Back to top Go down
dudsy

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* EmptyThu 20 May - 8:49

Coolant issues is now sorted. I believe the bottom left hand water hose clip was maybe not strong enough. So i added a jubi clip took it for a test drive and no steam Very Happy so gonna do some more testing tonight (trip to the pub i think) Still have the noise tho when changing gear at higher revs when on boost. Could be boost leak? (must get a boost gauge)

Cheers for all the info much appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*   Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED* Empty

Back to top Go down

Noise when changing gear on high boost *UPDATED*
Page 1 of 1