North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?

Go down 
+5
StickT
discodaz
Steviedoo
garyblake
Bigup1983
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Bigup1983

Bigup1983

Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? Empty
PostSubject: Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?   Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyWed 26 Dec - 21:35

I know obliviously everyones will be totally legit, but if say for instance a number plate had been cut down in size.....

Is it punishable by prison now or is it instant fine?

Back in the day you used to get a warning then if you got caught again you started to get in to trouble......( so my mate tells me Wink )

I've google whacked it and people are saying £60 fine, but is that on the spot, does it depend on how silly the plate looks,, is any discretion used etc??

Does any know anybody who's been stopped? Laughing
Back to top Go down
garyblake

garyblake

PostSubject: Re: Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?   Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyWed 26 Dec - 21:41

Hi few people on hear stop or been flashed and fine in post .depends on coper most will be on spot fine like front tinted window but just the chance you take lad next door to me got on spot fine and have to go prove insurance ect at police station and wasn't that small so me I would keep original but up to you
Back to top Go down
Steviedoo

Steviedoo

PostSubject: Re: Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?   Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyWed 26 Dec - 21:44

Think it's ok to cut the plate down smaller, as long as the charachters are of the correct size so actual size of plate doesn't matter. My front plate is smaller even has smaller characters and ice been stopped by the police for other reasons and they never even mentioned the plate.
Back to top Go down
discodaz

discodaz

PostSubject: Re: Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?   Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyWed 26 Dec - 21:52

I have got 3/4 size plate on mine,mine is too small,lime Steve says if your plate only has a few characters in it there is a minimum border 7mm I think and the letters have to be a particular size
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/darrenjayphotography
Bigup1983

Bigup1983

PostSubject: Re: Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?   Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyWed 26 Dec - 22:03

So as long as the letters are the correct size? With correct border?

Been reading up and just looks to be a mine field as to what you can and can't do Question

Its summit thats already been done to the car and it looks good but I don't know how much bother it is going to bring
Back to top Go down
Bigup1983

Bigup1983

PostSubject: Re: Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?   Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyWed 26 Dec - 22:06

garyblake wrote:
Hi few people on hear stop or been flashed and fine in post .depends on coper most will be on spot fine like front tinted window but just the chance you take lad next door to me got on spot fine and have to go prove insurance ect at police station and wasn't that small so me I would keep original but up to you

Never even thought about mobile cameras fella ( take it thats what you mean ).......fair few little hot spots for them around mine aswell Sad
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?   Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyWed 26 Dec - 22:37

Providing the characters are the correct size, spaced correctly and black on the correct colour backround white/yellow then the plate can be as small as it wants.

I had a standard number plate made and cut it down to just about the size of the letters, about 0.5cm around the black lettering left.

In all honesty, its upto you how to have a plate, i have ran motorbike plates and sticker plates on other cars for years without issue, i always just had full size plates in the boot should it go pete tong. Its not legal for the road but nor is speeding and EVERYBODY has encountered a few mph above the limit before ...
Back to top Go down
anthmac

anthmac

PostSubject: Re: Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?   Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyThu 27 Dec - 11:11

iv had 3 warnings with NO fines, but been told if i get cought again they will fine me and poss take plate off me, and that was for spacing it wrong. it was M1 4NTH, looked smart as.
all depends on the copper that pulls you !! and not evryone has broken the speed limit Stick !! Smile Smile Smile ..... ok i do tell lies :0
Back to top Go down
Trev85

Trev85

PostSubject: Re: Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?   Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyThu 27 Dec - 12:36

Last time I got pulled for it I got 7 days to change it and had to then get this bit of paper stamped by a mot garage then take it to the police station and hand it in! Bit of a fook on lyk but no fine
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?   Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyThu 27 Dec - 18:40

Correct size font, correct spacing and on approved colour background. Now needs to state the plate provider and should state the relevant BS ref number.
Back to top Go down
Bigup1983

Bigup1983

PostSubject: Re: Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?   Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyThu 27 Dec - 22:48

So if your letters missing ie 5 digits Iinstead of 7, does the plate have to be same size as if it had 7?

The .gov.UK site just says about spaces and lettering..... but does the plate have to stay standard size?

Might just order a totally legal plate cos I don't think I'm going to be able to settle cos I've sized the one that's on and it's erm. .. tiny Shocked
Back to top Go down
Steviedoo

Steviedoo

PostSubject: Re: Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?   Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyThu 27 Dec - 23:19

No plate doesn't have to be a standard size, just the letters have to be a standard size and standard spacing, the less characters that are on the plate the smaller the plate can be
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?   Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyThu 27 Dec - 23:41

My private plate is S77 CKL, I made 'road legal' plate up and trimmed it down to a smaller size just so it was a little larger then the lettering.

Currently at present no BSAU 145d marking is not an MOT failure but is a road traffic offence.
Back to top Go down
Tony@carkandy

Tony@carkandy

PostSubject: Re: Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?   Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyFri 28 Dec - 11:10

here's the British Standard for it that contains the only specs you need to adhere to

BS plate bollocks
Back to top Go down
http://www.carkandy.co.uk
Bigup1983

Bigup1983

PostSubject: Re: Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?   Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyFri 28 Dec - 16:31

@Tony@carkandy - cheers, that what I was talking about in my posts about all the spacing and lettering sizes but it says nowt about the size of the plate.... When I worked out all the spaces, lettering and border it says you need minimum, it turns out my plate could be smaller BUT the font on mine is shrunk down to match the plate and I think it is that which makes the plate look tiny... Rolling Eyes

Its a shame as the plate look great, the previous owner done it and said the police never bothered him but he was more rural than me and he only done summit like 1500 mile in the 2 years he owned the car!

I think that I'm going to have to get a totally legal plate and trim it down 'a little' to suit the missing digits.

Annoying because I've passed some people with plates so messed up and altered you can't figure out what the original reg is!!
Back to top Go down
Bigup1983

Bigup1983

PostSubject: Re: Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?   Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? EmptyFri 28 Dec - 16:38

kgt wrote:
Correct size font, correct spacing and on approved colour background. Now needs to state the plate provider and should state the relevant BS ref number.
Where did you get your plate done in your picture bud.... that what I need!! Should keep the law happy having a 4ft long plate lol!

Thanks for all the replies by the way people!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?   Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine? Empty

Back to top Go down

Modified number plates....Fine or Nofine?
Page 1 of 1