North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Which Induction EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Which Induction EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Which Induction EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Which Induction EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Which Induction EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Which Induction EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Which Induction EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Which Induction EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Which Induction EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Which Induction

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
LouiHerbert

LouiHerbert

Which Induction Empty
PostSubject: Which Induction   Which Induction EmptyWed 27 Mar - 12:01

Need a little help due to so much to choose from. Im running a FMIC and Maffless so a panel filter and original airbox is out of question. Due to the FMIC taking up the inner arch I am going to sacrifice my drivers high beam and run a CAI through there. There isnt enough room behind the headlight to run a full CAI kit from the headlight to the turbo so I was going to fit a cone or mushroom type filter on a 45 degree bend from the turbo inlet pipe towards the rear of the headligh to get maximum air flow directly to the filter. Now then... any recommendations on a filter? Natski recommended a Cosworth one but I dont have £290 kicking around at the moment lol so Im going to target the 2nd hand market. The HKS Racing Suction has caught my eye from good reviews? Has anyone got any better suggestions? I will be running 350+ bhp on Pink Injectors, TD05 18g, FMIC, SimTek Ecu full stainless turbo back and decat. Thanks
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/louimfc
atwrx

atwrx

Which Induction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Induction   Which Induction EmptyWed 27 Mar - 12:27

Why have you gone mafless? Was speaking to Andy Forrest last week and he said that up to 450bhp it's best to leave the maf in place so they have better control over the air flow.

Also if I'm reading this right, you're taking the main beam out of the headlight and going to stick a cone right behind it? Aren't cone filters damaged once they're wet? Which it will get if that's what you're doing.

If you're only running those sorts of powers why don't you just go for a standard cone filter setup around the intercooler pipe work? depentdant on your setup. like this one.

Which Induction Modp_010
Back to top Go down
LouiHerbert

LouiHerbert

Which Induction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Induction   Which Induction EmptyWed 27 Mar - 15:14

Hello, when I bought the car it was already running Maf-less. not something I did myself.

I was going to yes to supply a direct supply of cold air to the filter. On the current K&N Typhoon which is down the inner wing there is a cover over the filter to protect it from the wet (I'm guessing). I could just place a new cover over my new filter to protect it?

I am happy to leave an ordinary cone filter under the bonnet but have read a lot of threads on them saying they suffer a lot from heat soak? Where the CAI through the headlight would provide a sufficient amount of air through to prevent that?

I may be going a little bit over the top with supplying a CAI to the air filter for the power I'm running but it just made sense to me. Just tell me or explain if there is no need because I would prefer not to hack my light to bits if its not necessary and that's what the forums for, asking questions. Cheers, Loui
Back to top Go down
coldflame90

coldflame90

Which Induction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Induction   Which Induction EmptyWed 27 Mar - 15:46

if it was me loui i wouldnt bother runnin thr headlight feed like that you wont make musch more power its only when you going big power ie 500 plus that you need a cold air inrake like that im sure the one your running now will be just fine mate
Back to top Go down
LouiHerbert

LouiHerbert

Which Induction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Induction   Which Induction EmptyWed 27 Mar - 16:00

I cant use the one I am now because thats where the FMIC pipe runs so I need a new air filter/ induction kit so thats why I was asking for advice. Also because the FMIC is taking up tge stockair feed to under the bonnet there wont be no intake for cold air under the bonnet except qhat ever passes through the radiator which would be warm after passing through it anyway?
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

Which Induction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Induction   Which Induction EmptyWed 27 Mar - 21:19

The HKS induction kit is a really good item, so is the RCM induction kit.
Back to top Go down
atwrx

atwrx

Which Induction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Induction   Which Induction EmptyWed 27 Mar - 22:11

There's loads of better options which you could do if you engineer them yourself.
Use the stock air ram and cut the end off to divert the air to your filter (that's what I'm going to do)
Run a hose from behind your fog light up to the filter
Run a hose from the side of the radiator to the filter
Put a barrier (similar to the Cosworth one) behind the filter. There's plenty of cold air flows into the intake side of the engine bay.

I think any heat you'd experience won't affect things for the power you're chasing. It still baffles me why the previous owner ran mafless? But never mind.
Back to top Go down
LouiHerbert

LouiHerbert

Which Induction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Induction   Which Induction EmptyWed 27 Mar - 22:17

Cheers for that, im thinking of going for a branded cone filter like Jonny said but going to run one or two CAI pipes up and into the bay were the filter will be and get something made up like the cosworth design like you mentioned, previously I just thought that the headlight would be the most direct and effective route. Forced induction seemed even more direct but it seems they arent very popular on Imprezas
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

Which Induction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Induction   Which Induction EmptyWed 27 Mar - 22:49

Byers has done it on his blobeye, there is a thread on it in the photo section.
Back to top Go down
atwrx

atwrx

Which Induction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Induction   Which Induction EmptyWed 27 Mar - 22:57

LouiHerbert wrote:
Cheers for that, im thinking of going for a branded cone filter like Jonny said but going to run one or two CAI pipes up and into the bay were the filter will be and get something made up like the cosworth design like you mentioned, previously I just thought that the headlight would be the most direct and effective route. Forced induction seemed even more direct but it seems they arent very popular on Imprezas
Yeah it would be the most direct, but it just seems like a lot of effort for very little to no gain. Plus you lose your main beam, unless you wire up your headlight and use H4? Bulbs rather than H1/7. But like I say, just too much effort for too little gain at these powers.
Back to top Go down
LouiHerbert

LouiHerbert

Which Induction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Induction   Which Induction EmptyThu 28 Mar - 9:20

Yeah I thought about getting it wired up to a H4 to make it legal. I will have a good think and try find an alternative route but with the stock intake blocked off with the FMIC pipe and the only over route into the bay being via the rad I can only see the induction sucking up warm air
Back to top Go down
atwrx

atwrx

Which Induction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Induction   Which Induction EmptyThu 28 Mar - 9:44

Can you post a picture of that part of your engine bay? You surely have room for a cone filter at least? There's hundreds if cars running around with FMIC and induction kits without having to fook about too much
Back to top Go down
byers

byers

Which Induction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Induction   Which Induction EmptyThu 28 Mar - 10:47

Just do what I did then job done ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Which Induction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Induction   Which Induction Empty

Back to top Go down

Which Induction