North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black

Go down 
+2
Marshffs
Tinkerbell
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tinkerbell

Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black Empty
PostSubject: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 19:11

Please could someone help me with how long I put them in the oven for to remove the lenses off my bugeye lights to paint the insides black.....

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.ne-japs.co.uk
Marshffs

Marshffs

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 19:12

Mario the chef is the 1 to ask
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 19:27

100 degrees celsius for 10 minutes to soften the sealant and then pry open

After you have painted and put back in the light lens press the lens gently together and then put back in the oven at 100 degrees celsius for 5 minutes to soften sealant so you can squeeze it back together and screw back together

Cheers Steven lol!
Back to top Go down
Richyprodrive1988

Richyprodrive1988

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 19:35

I did mine with a heat gun if your scared of the oven like I was. Heat, pry open then heat and refit. Same principal
Back to top Go down
billy21

billy21

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 19:52

I love the oven. Cooked lights are way better lol. Until I needed to buy a new one haha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 19:54

Don't be afraid of the oven - it heats the whole lot nice and evenly. Stick to those temps and times and you won't go wrong

They taste better to Billy lol! 
Back to top Go down
Richyprodrive1988

Richyprodrive1988

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 20:40

If I were to do it again I'd use the oven as it was a bit fiddley and I had sore fingers for a few days affraid 
Back to top Go down
Tinkerbell

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 20:42

Wow thanks u saved my ass....will explain soon lol. Do ppl primer them 1st or simply spray black?
Back to top Go down
Richyprodrive1988

Richyprodrive1988

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 20:46

I prepped mine with 1200 wet and dry paper, primed them with grey primer and then satin black paint. Looks like it came from the factory Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 21:06

Tinkerbell wrote:
Wow thanks u saved my ass....will explain soon lol. Do ppl primer them 1st or simply spray black?
I never bothered sanding or priming and mine still look factory. The only bit I sanded was the ring around my HID as I was painting that bright red and the rest black

Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black TerminatorEyes-1_zpscc3f1b70

Amber bulbs are gone now
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 21:11

Paint I used was Hycote Matt Black as you can spray it on without having to pre-treat the plastics

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYCOTE-MATT-BLACK-400ml-/151057098922?

Make sure you do very light coats, allow to dry and then another light coat, allow to dry....and so on until you are happy with the coverage

Last edited by Marietto on Sat 10 Aug - 21:18; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Richyprodrive1988

Richyprodrive1988

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 21:12

Very smart, I was just worried the paint might flake off with the continued heating and cooling caused by the headlight. I don't fancy taking the lens off again to repaint lol.
Back to top Go down
Richyprodrive1988

Richyprodrive1988

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 21:15

Ah I used halfords own satin black paint, gives a nice effect. £7 a tin Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 21:20

I got the paint recommendation off a lad in Scotland who does headlight painting - the one can did both lights no probs and still some left - not bad for £4.45!
Back to top Go down
SG03RRZ

SG03RRZ

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 21:37

Wat is it rattle can or brush
Back to top Go down
Tinkerbell

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 21:43

Thankin you Smile

Well the Primer is now on so will spray them Black in the morning. This is gonna make a massive difference to my car lol....just can't stand them headlights haha. Cant wait to see them finished and on the car hehe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 21:56

Good luck girl Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Tinkerbell

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySat 10 Aug - 22:05

Thanks....will pop a photo up 2moro Smile
Back to top Go down
billy21

billy21

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptySun 11 Aug - 9:31

Mario I wish I stuck to the right temp. I did with my hawk ones and they came out great
Back to top Go down
Tinkerbell

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptyMon 12 Aug - 20:22

Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black 20130810

Hopefully my Silvertec bulbs will arrive 2moro lol
Back to top Go down
oggy

oggy

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptyMon 12 Aug - 20:48

look great tink , well done Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Tinkerbell

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptyMon 12 Aug - 21:28

Thanks Oggy Smile (seems weird call u that hehe)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptyMon 12 Aug - 21:34

Good job young lady Cool - are you happy with them?

Last edited by Marietto on Mon 12 Aug - 21:37; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tinkerbell

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptyMon 12 Aug - 21:36

Thanks Smile oooooh i like the young bit hehe.

Yeah i think im happy with them lol....will have to see what i think of the car once my spoiler comes lol
Back to top Go down
billy21

billy21

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black EmptyMon 12 Aug - 21:47

Just need some silvertec bulbs to finish it off. Great job
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black   Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black Empty

Back to top Go down

Removing the headlight lenses to paint headlights Black
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next