North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

2006 sti "bobble head" suspension! ***UPDATED***

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ukjesters

ukjesters

2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** Empty
PostSubject: 2006 sti "bobble head" suspension! ***UPDATED***   2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptySat 15 Feb - 5:39

Obviously not comparing like for like, but the ride in my little 206 is a dream compared to the moob juggling sti!
So, I was thinking of going down the coilovers route until I saw a dampers/spring set up from an rb320 on the bay for £220, a quick look at the reviews of the rb320 suspension set up helped me make my mind up, so the sale was made.
The more I'm reading about this set-up the more I can't wait to get it fitted and tried out. If it works as I'm hoping, then it's a steal at this price.
I'll let you know how I've got on, hopefully in a couple of weeks time.
Regards
Rick

Last edited by ukjesters on Wed 5 Mar - 15:02; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.rick-thornton-photography.com
discodaz

discodaz

PostSubject: Re: 2006 sti "bobble head" suspension! ***UPDATED***   2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptySat 15 Feb - 7:16

Thought you had coil overs on already rick?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/darrenjayphotography
ukjesters

ukjesters

PostSubject: Re: 2006 sti "bobble head" suspension! ***UPDATED***   2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptySat 15 Feb - 7:23

Nah, normal suspension mate, apart from ALK & uprated ARB's (whiteline).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2006 sti "bobble head" suspension! ***UPDATED***   2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptySat 15 Feb - 7:29

Good choice mate - should make a good difference to the handling
Back to top Go down
ukjesters

ukjesters

PostSubject: Re: 2006 sti "bobble head" suspension! ***UPDATED***   2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptySat 15 Feb - 7:48

I actually love the way it already handles when pushing on a bit. It's the times that you're out just cruising/normal driving etc when it really hits you at how uncomfortable a ride it is.
Be over the moon if it sorts it out.
Back to top Go down
iddysti

iddysti

PostSubject: Re: 2006 sti "bobble head" suspension! ***UPDATED***   2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptySat 15 Feb - 11:11

the reason its not a nice ride is because you have uprated anti roll bars on. As soon as I put them on my hawkeye the ride was horrible wish I had never done it. I will be amazed if you see any difference with the rb320 setup.

The RB320 setup is basically prodrive springs with uprated bilstein dampers which is what I had on my hawkeye.
Back to top Go down
ukjesters

ukjesters

PostSubject: Re: 2006 sti "bobble head" suspension! ***UPDATED***   2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptySat 15 Feb - 11:21

Oh oh! The RB also came with an uprated rear anti-roll bar as standard, that was why I was hoping that it would be an ok comparison to make, as the two set ups would be almost alike anyways?
Having a browse through SNET when I first got the sti, the consensus of opinion was to go for 22F & 24R arb's, not surprisingly, I wussed out and got 22F and 22R (adjustable rear-set on stiffest? setting, which I think would make it 23 but not sure)
Suppose time will tell. Push comes to shove, I'll just put on some coilovers.
Ta for the advice though.
Back to top Go down
Steviedoo

Steviedoo

PostSubject: Re: 2006 sti "bobble head" suspension! ***UPDATED***   2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptySat 15 Feb - 13:19

I was advised by whiteline themselves just to go for 22mm rear anti roll bar on my Hawk as they said for road use it would be to harsh to change both, I have this set on the middle stiffness setting and this transformed the handling loads along with prodrive springs and ride doesn't seem too bad to me, I've also uprared all the rear bushes to supepro ones, will probably also uprate the front ones when I get round to it.
Back to top Go down
ukjesters

ukjesters

PostSubject: Re: 2006 sti "bobble head" suspension! ***UPDATED***   2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptySat 15 Feb - 13:45

Ta for that Stevie, I'll see what I think when I get them fitted, I've still got the original ARB's up in the loft, funnily enough, they're stored right above where the Mrs sleeps....!
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: 2006 sti "bobble head" suspension! ***UPDATED***   2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptySat 15 Feb - 16:34

An easy one to try is to drop the stiffness down to the middle on the rear.
Back to top Go down
ukjesters

ukjesters

PostSubject: Re: 2006 sti "bobble head" suspension! ***UPDATED***   2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptySat 15 Feb - 20:56

Reading on other forums, it appeared as if the standard sti set up was considered "bouncy". With my very limited knowledge of such matters, I thought that the ARB's related to the lateral movement & that the "bouncy" complaints were more to do with the springs & dampers?
However, there's some good ideas been mentioned so I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it.
Regards
Rick
Back to top Go down
ukjesters

ukjesters

PostSubject: Re: 2006 sti "bobble head" suspension! ***UPDATED***   2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** EmptyWed 5 Mar - 15:14

Well, had this fitted today at revolution & also had 4 wheel laser alignment & fast road set up done.
Pleased that the reviews of the RB320 & the suspension package that could be bought separately, (basically what I had fitted) proved to be correct. The "bobble head" ride has gone, as has the constant knocking (and I thought it was me boot! But there you go.) the drive is now much, much smoother & generally more refined. Only had a few little pushes through corners etc but I'm well pleased with the results so far. Also looks better due to it now sitting a bit lower due the prodrive springs. The mrs noticed the difference in the ride quality straight away as well.

On another note, would the old ones be of any use to anyone, (sti dampers/springs) or should I just bin them, does appear that the rears were knocking.

Happy chappy anyways.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2006 sti "bobble head" suspension! ***UPDATED***   2006 sti "bobble head" suspension!  ***UPDATED*** Empty

Back to top Go down

2006 sti "bobble head" suspension! ***UPDATED***
Page 1 of 1