North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Differences between newage WRX and STI

Go down 
+4
Robbo_22
iddysti
kgt
srobbo18
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
srobbo18

Differences between newage WRX and STI Empty
PostSubject: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyWed 4 Aug - 15:01

As above i would like to know the tech differences between the WRX blob eye 2005 and the STI version ?

The reason i ask is i have a nice modded wrx running about 340 bhp i have sti brakes and am about to overhaul suspension, but i have come to the point where i wonder is it viable to keep modding the wrx should i sell get a sti and start again.

I am more interested in the suspension set up of a sti compared to a wrx ?

Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyWed 4 Aug - 15:33

Great minds think alike Wink
Back to top Go down
srobbo18

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyWed 4 Aug - 15:40

i want to keep it i have spent so much on body work, wheels are coming from spain collecting all the bits i need to fit the brembo's i just got. been thinking of building a good strong engine for it and getting a stronger box and fitting coilovers, but if it will never handle like a sti i should just start again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyWed 4 Aug - 20:43

STI has :

Brembos
Larger Intercooler
Forged pistons
6spd Gearbox
Larger Spoiler
Different Backbox (single exit)
Larger Scoop
AVCS Heads
550cc Injectors
Larger Turbo

probs a couple more things that i cant remember right now lol

Last edited by yellowperil on Wed 4 Aug - 20:54; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
srobbo18

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyWed 4 Aug - 20:50

i got the sti turbo intercooler and brakes on my wrx but i want more power.

what i really want to know is it worth uprating the wrx more of should i just bite the bullet and buy an sti, been looking at a hawk eye sti.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyWed 4 Aug - 20:56

hawk sti is good to around 370ish bhp till the headgaskets become an issue. quite a common fault on them. hawkeye does have the 2.5 tho Wink
Back to top Go down
iddysti

iddysti

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyThu 5 Aug - 8:57

srobbo18 wrote:
i got the sti turbo intercooler and brakes on my wrx but i want more power.

what i really want to know is it worth uprating the wrx more of should i just bite the bullet and buy an sti, been looking at a hawk eye sti.

The hawkeye STI is in a different league to the previous cars from a torque point of view because of the 2.5 engine, But as peril says there is an issue with head gaskets when you push them over 370bhp/flbt. I know quite a few that have gone now including mine at that level of power.
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyThu 5 Aug - 10:10

I'd have thought the headgasket was the least of your worries. Doesnt the road start to disintegrate underneath you with 600 horses dancing on ? it Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyThu 5 Aug - 12:10

probs worth adding that the hawkeyes dont have forged pistons in the STI models like the older STI's do (V3-8 )
Back to top Go down
Robbo_22

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyThu 5 Aug - 13:11

And ya get a minging blue interior in the STi Razz

Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyThu 5 Aug - 15:45

Confused - does that mean a Blob STi or WR1 would be a better purchase and baseline for mods than a Hawkeye STi ?

I'm also starting to think about what to replace 'the red one' with and I'm all over the place at the moment.
Back to top Go down
CARLOS

CARLOS

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyThu 5 Aug - 16:01

get a jdm hawkeye they come with 2ltr motor wr1 comes with dccd as standard aswell
Back to top Go down
iddysti

iddysti

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyThu 5 Aug - 20:31

kgt wrote:
Confused - does that mean a Blob STi or WR1 would be a better purchase and baseline for mods than a Hawkeye STi ?

I'm also starting to think about what to replace 'the red one' with and I'm all over the place at the moment.

Hawkeye sti all the way, but I am bias. you will get much more driveability from a hawkeye than a blobeye due to the extra torque you get from the 2.5 engine. A hawkeye with a stage 1 tune (exhaust, filter and remap) and your running somewhere near 370hp & 370fl/lb add a couple of extra bits front mount and headers and your upto 390hp & 410ft/lb. That what I got and this makes for a really quick road car Very Happy Very Happy After that your talking alot of money to get to the next stage engine rebuild, injectors and bigggggggggggggger turbo Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyFri 6 Aug - 6:59

Fine - decision made.........unless I go back to looking at hatches again.

Any votes for the hatches, by the way ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyFri 6 Aug - 9:45

kgt wrote:
Fine - decision made.........unless I go back to looking at hatches again.

Any votes for the hatches, by the way ?

2 words - Plastic Pistons Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyFri 6 Aug - 9:51

Is that on all of them mr peril ?

Ive heard people saying that about 09 STi's - does this mean 08 hatch STi's are ok ?
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyFri 6 Aug - 9:52

Apologies for the slight hijack Robbo, but I think I'm in the same boat as you. Keep modding the WRX or make a dramatic step change ?!?!?!??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyFri 6 Aug - 10:24

i just hear of a certain member who works for subaru binning 1-2 hatch engines a week on warranty. unsure if the year makes a difference but i wouldnt have thought so.

Awaits Rob84's reply Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mikkel

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyFri 6 Aug - 11:54

Hawkeye STi is a hell of a road car and it is not as fugly as the hatch.

My old Spec D STi (leather interior too not the minging blue) was stage 1 modded to run 360/390 and had a few suspension tweaks like upgraded roll bars, drop links and steering bushes. On several drive outs I went on with a similar club to this the only cars I noticed that were able to stay in touch when we had the odd bit of enthusiasm were the big power classics.

It simply isn't financially sound to modify a WRX to get to and beyond STi levels. It is doable though. Robbie Bennett had a well modded hawkeye WRX that was a match for my old car, but he told me he wished he had started with an STi in the first place given what he had to do and spend to get it to where he wanted. Even then you are usually missing the DCCD and IMO superior 6 speed gearbox.
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyFri 6 Aug - 14:25

I don't agree, I have spent under a grand on engine mods and have my hawkeye wrx at 335bhp and 370ft/lbs with more to give if I choose to run more boost.

At the time of buying it the sti was 4k more expensive.

if I was planning on going over 450hp then the sti is the better starting point, anything under that in my opinion, its the wrx that wins it for me.

Back to top Go down
srobbo18

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyFri 6 Aug - 14:38

kgt wrote:
Apologies for the slight hijack Robbo, but I think I'm in the same boat as you. Keep modding the WRX or make a dramatic step change ?!?!?!??

No worries mate
Back to top Go down
CARLOS

CARLOS

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyFri 6 Aug - 14:41

my wrx was at its limit the next stage was to exspensive should ov got an sti from the start but i didnt know much about scoobs we all have to learn Smile
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyFri 6 Aug - 14:46

your wrx was nowhere near its limit carl!

If you are talking about power output there are plenty wrx's running at 400hp without problems, an sti would also need work to run any more power.

the only advantage the sti has over the wrx is the gearbox.
Back to top Go down
srobbo18

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyFri 6 Aug - 14:46

CARLOS wrote:
my wrx was at its limit the next stage was to exspensive should ov got an sti from the start but i didnt know much about scoobs we all have to learn Smile

Exactly the position i am in, think the mrs would buy mine so i could get a sti but i would loose all the money i have spent modding it pale
Back to top Go down
srobbo18

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI EmptyFri 6 Aug - 15:00

Jonny Gav wrote:
your wrx was nowhere near its limit carl!

If you are talking about power output there are plenty wrx's running at 400hp without problems, an sti would also need work to run any more power.

the only advantage the sti has over the wrx is the gearbox.

Ok what do i need to do to my 2005 wrx to get power levels up past the 350 mark and keep it driveability ? what turbo would i need i have a vf35 on it and like the quick spool up what would be the next level ?

Last edited by srobbo18 on Fri 6 Aug - 15:21; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Differences between newage WRX and STI   Differences between newage WRX and STI Empty

Back to top Go down

Differences between newage WRX and STI
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next