North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
A work in forever ongoing progress ;-) (MY2000 Classic Wagon) EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
A work in forever ongoing progress ;-) (MY2000 Classic Wagon) EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
A work in forever ongoing progress ;-) (MY2000 Classic Wagon) EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
A work in forever ongoing progress ;-) (MY2000 Classic Wagon) EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
A work in forever ongoing progress ;-) (MY2000 Classic Wagon) EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
A work in forever ongoing progress ;-) (MY2000 Classic Wagon) EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
A work in forever ongoing progress ;-) (MY2000 Classic Wagon) EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
A work in forever ongoing progress ;-) (MY2000 Classic Wagon) EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
A work in forever ongoing progress ;-) (MY2000 Classic Wagon) EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

A work in forever ongoing progress ;-) (MY2000 Classic Wagon)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
atwrx

atwrx

A work in forever ongoing progress ;-) (MY2000 Classic Wagon) Empty
PostSubject: A work in forever ongoing progress ;-) (MY2000 Classic Wagon)   A work in forever ongoing progress ;-) (MY2000 Classic Wagon) EmptySun 30 Jan - 21:07

Here's the story of my new scooby. All work is being done by myself (apart from timing belt, too vital a component for me) so will be putting guides in a "how to" fashion, if anyone is interested, even just the basic stuff (apart from the Tyre/wheel fitting) so if anyone decides they want a go, this can be a sort of beginners guide as this is the first time I'll be getting so involved with my car. If any experienced folk would like to add to it, then please feel free, I've got a memory like a sieve so I will more than likely forget what I've done.

OK bought the car earlier this year and this is how it came.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Scratches on every body panel. This being the worst. and the splitter hasn't been very well done and is cracked around all of the bodge work. Looks shit TBH.

Now looking like this.

First thing was to change those stupidly large wheels.

Sorry there are no images for the first couple of items, I didn't think about taking any until it was too late.

Next was to change the Cobra exhaust, a little too loud for my liking. Put Mr Terzos WR Sport tail pipe on and a new centre section (the previous one was twisted)

Easy job, Jack the car up, get underneath and remove the 2 bolts from the front flange of the centre section. Remove the mounting bars from the rubber mounts (I found using a screwdriver to prise the hole wider and force it over the bars worked a treat) 1 mount near the back of the centre section, 1 just in front of the back box and 2 right at the rear, either side of the back box.
Take the new centre section and back box section and fasten them together using 2 M10 x 30mm Bolts and 2 Nuts, put a bit grease/copperslip on the threads, making sure that the mounting bars in the correct orientation and that the gasket is between the 2 parts.

Now mount the exhaust in the opposite fashion to taking it off.

Next was a basic service.

Oil change:
Jack front of car up and remove the undertray. 3 x 12mm head bolts across the front, 2 or 4 (I can't remember off the top of my head) at the rear and 2 x 10mm head bolts in the wheel arches.
Place Oil pan under the sump plug and remove.
Remove Oil Filter.
Lower car and wait until fully drained.
Jack car back up and put new oil filter on, little smear of oil on the gasket to give it some lube.
Put sump plug back in with new sealing ring.
Pu undertray back on and lower car back down.
Fill engine with oil (about 5 litres, if memory serves).

Air Filter (If you've not got panel filter or cone):
Unclip air box top (4 clips?) and open, remove air filter and place new one in it's place. Fasten the clips back down Laughing

Fuel Filter: (depends on model)
Slacken the 2 hose clips so they can slide along the hoses, push them back out of the way but make sure they don't fall off when you remove the filter.
Pull the hoses off the filter, I found using a flat screwdriver to start moving them worked best as they were pretty well stuck on.
Unfasten clip around the filter and remove.
Take rubber ring off the filter and put it around the new filter.
Place filter in the holder and fasten clip around it.
Put the rubber hoses back onto the filter spouts and fasten the hose clips securely.

Pour fuel from the filter into long grass and set it on fire, good 5 mins of fun to be had.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Spark Plugs: Made easier if you have small hands Smile )
Remove battery (10mm spanner to remove terminals), washer bottle (10mm socket/spanner to remove bolts) and the air box (screwdriver to remove jubilee clips and 12mm socket and extension to remove the 2 bolts holding it to the car)
Remove plug leads (Just the ends from the spark plugs and get them out of the way as best as possible.
Passenger side rear plug, best to go at it from the back of the engine, use an extension for the ratchet which is 80mm long (85 too long, 75 ok for this one, but too short for front) and an5/8" spark plug socket.
Hint: for all 4 plugs, if you can, place spark plug socket over spark plug, then attach the extension, then attached the ratchet. When replacing with new plug, place plug in socket and put into the plug hole and hand tighten as best as possible.
Passenger side front plug, best to get to from front of car, same again but this time best I could get was 2 clicks on the ratchet, right pain.
Drivers side front and rear plugs, best access from where the air box was. Lots of room this side.
Once all plugs have been changed, replace the plug lead ends and make sure they "click" on.
Replace all parts removed from the engine bay, in reverse order. Grease/copperslip your bolts before putting them back in.

Hint: Remember to grease your nuts! Always helpful for when you have to go back and do it again.

Last edited by atwrx on Sun 30 Jan - 21:36; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
atwrx

atwrx

A work in forever ongoing progress ;-) (MY2000 Classic Wagon) Empty
PostSubject: Re: A work in forever ongoing progress ;-) (MY2000 Classic Wagon)   A work in forever ongoing progress ;-) (MY2000 Classic Wagon) EmptySun 30 Jan - 21:26

Today I cleaned the Throttle body and butterfly.

Remove intercooler. 12mm socket + extension to remove 2 bolts, 1 back right, 1 front left. Screwdriver or suitable socket to loosen Jubilee clips, 1 on intercooler "Y" pipe to turbo, 1 on intercooler to intake manifold and remove the pipe from the dump valve to the manifold. (if you don't have dump valve, I'm not sure how the recirc valves will come off) wiggle it, just a little bit, to get the intercooler free from the manifold and the turbo.
This is a picture after re-mounting everything just to give you an idea of what you need to do. I used a bit WD40 and some elbow grease to get the DV, prodrive hose, jubilee clips and intercooler looking almost as good as new.

Next, disconnect the coolant hoses on the bottom of the throttle body to the pipework. A pair of long nosed pliers are handy here. That's them below the sensor connectors (about 10mm diameter) and remove the sensor cables. And disconnect the 4mm hose from the top of the TB.

Push the throttle over with one hand and with the other remove the cable by aligning it with the small slot on the side of where the stop end sits.

Next undo the 4 bolts using a 10mm socket and extension.

Gently prise the TB away from the intake manifold.
Spray the TB with WD40 and give it a good clean up, removing all residue from around the butterfly.
and clean where the gasket sits. I also sprayed with WD40 and cleaned the springs for the throttle cable.

Nice and clean.

Re-assemble in reverse order.

Hints: Use a toothbrush to get into the difficult parts of the throttle springs.
Use a screwdriver in the throttle springs to keep open the butterfly whilst cleaning.
If the intercooler bolts are awkward to re-install, slacken off the 2 bolts holding the right hand support to the intake manifold.
Back to top Go down

A work in forever ongoing progress ;-) (MY2000 Classic Wagon)
Page 1 of 1