North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ?

Go down 
+3
phils (Rip off) scooby
mickymarwood
kgt
7 posters
AuthorMessage
kgt
Admin
kgt

Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? Empty
PostSubject: Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ?   Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptyWed 18 May - 11:46

New front pads arrived today, need to get them in the red machine pretty pronto so I can start stopping again Shocked

As per the title - do I really need to bed them in or is that just urban myth ?

Bearing in mind that I'd describe my driving style as pretty normal with the occassional burst of high spirits and not red lining it everywhere or trying to break the sound barrier. Dont know if that makes a colosal difference, but thought it might be relevant.
Back to top Go down
mickymarwood

mickymarwood

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ?   Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptyWed 18 May - 12:07

when i put my new pads in they were fine from the off
Back to top Go down
phils (Rip off) scooby

phils (Rip off) scooby

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ?   Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptyWed 18 May - 12:10

you can shine them by breaking hard when there new, but your driving style sound fine
Back to top Go down
chris@eclipse

chris@eclipse

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ?   Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptyWed 18 May - 17:02

Absolutelty yes, you do need to bed them in. The finishing process for a set of pads is to 'cook' them, which can only be done when they are fitted to the car. This hardens the pad surface to give optimum braking power.

Different pad manufacturers recomend different bedding in procedures, but all involve increasing the temperature of the pad gradualy until it reaches a medium to hot temperature, then letting it cool completely to harden.

If you dont do this the pad remains soft, and wears out rather quickly, then the first time you give it some abuse it heats up too quickly & goes off. When it then cools it leaves a glazed surface on the pad which offers very poor friction with the disc. The pad is now nackered.

The procedure I use is to drive the car slowly, braking regularly & lightly for around 20 - 30 seconds, then speed up a bit and increase the pressure, braking then release, speed up again, brake then release, then increase the pressure again etc... Do this for around 3 minutes, gradually increasing braking force to around 70% of full braking, then come to a complete stop and let the brakes cool completely down. Your pads will now work very well! Wink

[I used to work for a rally team that used to pay me to bed in all the sets of brake pads we were taking to a rally in the days leading up to the event, so the driver didnt have to worry about doing it on the day!!]
Back to top Go down
http://www.eclipse-performance.com

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ?   Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptyWed 18 May - 18:22

phils scooby wrote:
you can shine them by breaking hard when there new, but your driving style sound fine

Which can usually put too much heat into them and risk warping the disc or glazing the pads.

Chris is correct in in the majority of cases although it does depend on the pad/disc combination used. EBC Red Stuff pads for example have a seperate compound layer to the pad which is for the bedding in stage which they state to be approx 1000miles. Youre best off reading the pad manufacturers leaflet for the bedding in procedure or if there isnt one, follow chris' guideline
Back to top Go down
Rooter

Rooter

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ?   Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptyWed 18 May - 19:07

I like the performance friction guidelines to bed in their discs and pads Very Happy Shocked Wink
Back to top Go down
Calvert_87

Calvert_87

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ?   Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptyWed 18 May - 19:28

Interesting that Chris, think I might be more gentle in the future. I asked Alyn when he fitted my Ferodos and he said they was no need so I went out from the off stamping on them, was smoke poring from the wheel arched after the first country road blast but they were all right after that, do wear down quick mind.
Back to top Go down
Tuffty

Tuffty

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ?   Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptyWed 18 May - 23:00

Rooter wrote:
I like the performance friction guidelines to bed in their discs and pads Very Happy Shocked Wink

i have PF pads in the front of mine, cant remember the full wording on the A4 sheet of paper but one was brake hard from 100mph ha ha Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ?   Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? EmptyThu 19 May - 7:27

Cheers chaps. I will bear all of the above advice in mind......maybe with the exception of brake hard from 100mph Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ?   Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do I really need to "bed in" new pads ?
Page 1 of 1