North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Ceramic Coating EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Ceramic Coating EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Ceramic Coating EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Ceramic Coating EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Ceramic Coating EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Ceramic Coating EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Ceramic Coating EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Ceramic Coating EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Ceramic Coating EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Ceramic Coating

Go down 
+2
Andy Kindon
kgt
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kgt
Admin
kgt

Ceramic Coating Empty
PostSubject: Ceramic Coating   Ceramic Coating EmptyWed 5 May - 21:42

I was reading my copy of Total Impreza the last few days and kept going back to an article on ceramic coating of exhaust components.

One of the guys on TTS had started a thread which I posted on, but thought I should also post my findings here also.

Just out of interest I called Zircotec today and spoke to the Technical Sales Manager.

What they do is slightly different to CamCoat / Black Performance who use a ceramic paint, which is good, but more aesthetically tailored.

Zircotec actually melt particles of ceramic and plasma spray it to items, which gives higher performance results vs paint. As such, their stuff is standard on Lambo's, Koenigsegg's and Zonda's etc

Using a thermocouple they've seen direct temp readings reduce by 200 degrees vs a bare pipe and ambient temps under the bonnet reduce by 30-40%

In direct testing to heatwrap it was proven to be more effective and the main bonus is that it will outlast wrap many times over altho it was commented that heat wrap is pretty good when new. The ceramic however does not deteriorate and does not need to be re-applied. Hence the cost effectiveness in the long term.

Turnaround time is quoted at approx 10 days but is often less than that.

Typically the cost is worked out based on £40 per ft of pipe, but they are open to talking about a group buy. If they got more than 5 components to do, they'd consider as much as 15% off that price.

I'm not offering my services here as I cant commit myself like that at the moment (plus I'm not a techie so cant advise any more than the notes I took from the call), so dont ask me too many questions, I'm just trying to be helpful.
Back to top Go down
Andy Kindon

Ceramic Coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ceramic Coating   Ceramic Coating EmptyWed 5 May - 21:54

ambient temps under bonnet 40 degrees less, Shocked nee way, did they do the test on a stationary car then maybe yes but certainly not when on the move
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

Ceramic Coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ceramic Coating   Ceramic Coating EmptyWed 5 May - 22:12

Read and digest for yourselves : http://www.zircotec.com/page/home/1

Case studies at the bottom of the page are interesting, including a Litchfield Impreza : http://www.zircotec.com/casestudy/impreza_type25/37/10

Andy - I totaly bow to your knowledge of these cars, I was just trying to follow up on a point of interest. I'll let the experts do the talking, I was just introducing the story
Back to top Go down
Andyg

Andyg

Ceramic Coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ceramic Coating   Ceramic Coating EmptyWed 5 May - 23:03

ceramic coaing is teh best way for heat reduction heatwrap is good but, looks shit and falls off after 12 months Smile
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

Ceramic Coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ceramic Coating   Ceramic Coating EmptyThu 6 May - 8:29

I'm thinking of getting that new uppipe done. Could be an interesting test case for us.
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

Ceramic Coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ceramic Coating   Ceramic Coating EmptyThu 6 May - 16:22

No need to do it for a road car mate Wink

There are better ways to spend the money.
Back to top Go down
Micawrx

Micawrx

Ceramic Coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ceramic Coating   Ceramic Coating EmptyFri 7 May - 7:44

Its a cosmetic/spec list thing to do on a road car...

....the coloured ones for FMIC pipes are nice
Back to top Go down
stevebt

stevebt

Ceramic Coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ceramic Coating   Ceramic Coating EmptyFri 7 May - 20:00

Andyg wrote:
ceramic coaing is teh best way for heat reduction heatwrap is good but, looks shit and falls off after 12 months Smile

If you buy the crap stuff, DEI wrap stay on as long as you have the product thats why it costs so much Smile
Back to top Go down
Andyg

Andyg

Ceramic Coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ceramic Coating   Ceramic Coating EmptyFri 7 May - 22:45

stevebt wrote:
Andyg wrote:

If you buy the crap stuff, DEI wrap stay on as long as you have the product thats why it costs so much Smile

DEi does the same mate over a period.

Ceramic heat Coating does work and defo DOES make a differenc on a road car, any way of getthng heat to stay INSIDE the exhaust is a good thing. Speaking to Andrew Carr today when he was Mapping some cars for me, he Said that even temps on the move do rise in the engine bay, and that Ceramic coating is the most noticable way of keeping the temps down, he says that heatwrap also works very well BUT as we all know it can be a ball achne, Smokes, Absorbes Oil if you have leaks, smells till its sorted and rots off too
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

Ceramic Coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ceramic Coating   Ceramic Coating EmptySun 9 May - 9:38

agree Andy, Heat wrap is a total waste of money in my opinion, it induces moisture so stinks and you get steam on start up, even the expensive stuff falls off after 6 months on a road car, its also quite dangerous on the headers of a Subaru, the reason why is it can cause fire as it will soak up any oil or power steering fluid that leaks or is spilt, holding this against headers that can get up to 600 degs c isn't a good idea and can and does burst into flames.
the standard heat shields are the best in my opinion for standard headers.

Aftermarket headers are best left alone as trapping heat in them can cause them to overheat and fail. this mostly happens around the collector.
Back to top Go down
Andy Kindon

Ceramic Coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ceramic Coating   Ceramic Coating EmptyMon 10 May - 17:27

agree with jonny, its too expensive for almost zero gains, its another one of them things thats sounds great in theory, been there done it, sorry but imo its not worth it, some half decent heat wrap on the up pipe is all that is needed Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ceramic Coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ceramic Coating   Ceramic Coating Empty

Back to top Go down

Ceramic Coating
Page 1 of 1