North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal

Go down 
+6
iddysti
lee
Trev85
CARLOS
Andyg
garyblake
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
garyblake

garyblake

checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  Empty
PostSubject: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptySun 11 Dec - 17:05

oil in car castrol edge 10w 60 full sinthetic is this right
Back to top Go down
Andyg

Andyg

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptySun 11 Dec - 17:09

I've just lost a engine from not checking the oil, I always drum it into my wife's head to check the oil. Turbo cars can use oil more than others so it depends on how long ago you checked it and how many miles you have done Smile I'm sure Jony and Finn Drew etc will have specs of what is normal usage
Back to top Go down
garyblake

garyblake

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptySun 11 Dec - 17:15

ok.
2 months ago serviced car done about 800 mile since oil change lost half litter oil catch can empty
Back to top Go down
Andyg

Andyg

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptySun 11 Dec - 17:22

Does seem like a lot, the oil level must be done completely on the flat or the stick can lie!!
Back to top Go down
garyblake

garyblake

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptySun 11 Dec - 17:49

ok thanks iv look for leaks but cant see any
Back to top Go down
CARLOS

CARLOS

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptySun 11 Dec - 18:07

my old bugeye wagon was the same but got rid so never had chance to see what the problem was
Back to top Go down
Andyg

Andyg

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptySun 11 Dec - 18:15

Heavy oil usage can mean many things

Piston rings
Oil stem seals
Turbo on it's way
Just a greedy car.
Or just usage as per spec
Back to top Go down
garyblake

garyblake

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptySun 11 Dec - 18:17

ok thanks will keep and eye on it
Back to top Go down
Trev85

Trev85

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptySun 11 Dec - 18:44

If its a 2.5 then they do u abit of oil I think half a litre in 1000miles is about normal! But will also depend on the Mileage the engine has done!!
Back to top Go down
lee

lee

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptySun 11 Dec - 19:05

garyblake wrote:
ok.
2 months ago serviced car done about 800 mile since oil change lost half litter oil catch can empty

800 miles count yaself lucky my lass used the hawk last week and did 40 miles and used half oil on dipstick Shocked
Back to top Go down
Andyg

Andyg

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptySun 11 Dec - 19:44

I know when I had my first impreza back in 2005 andy forest advised me about it being fully flat before checking and leaving the car to settle before checking, some think I always do as he's one of the best Subaru men out there Smile
Back to top Go down
garyblake

garyblake

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptySun 11 Dec - 19:57

no probs car got 38k on clock will be keepen eye on oil fro now on thanks for all your help
Back to top Go down
iddysti

iddysti

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptyTue 13 Dec - 20:40

as Andy G says, the 2.5 engines use a bit more oil, mine uses 1 litre to a 1000 miles. I use 10/60 as its modified a little bit but subaru recommend 10/40 on standard engines
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptyWed 14 Dec - 1:04

iddysti wrote:
as Andy G says, the 2.5 engines use a bit more oil, mine uses 1 litre to a 1000 miles. I use 10/60 as its modified a little bit but subaru recommend 10/40 on standard engines

done over 2000 miles in mine and its used none! and yes ive checked a few times Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptyWed 14 Dec - 7:32

My 2.5 uses no oil at all, the 2.5 has tight piston clearances so seals very well, oil usage is usually a sign of a piston ring/ ring land problem.

Back to top Go down
byers

byers

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptyWed 14 Dec - 7:51

iddysti wrote:

Modified a little hehehe
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptyWed 14 Dec - 8:23

In the same way that the space shuttle was a modified cesna lol!
Back to top Go down
iddysti

iddysti

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptyWed 14 Dec - 8:38

Jonny Gav wrote:
My 2.5 uses no oil at all, the 2.5 has tight piston clearances so seals very well, oil usage is usually a sign of a piston ring/ ring land problem.

yours and perils still have the standard pistons, its only when I went fully forged that mine started using oil, but I think most/all 2.5 that have forge pistons use a little oil. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptyWed 14 Dec - 10:55

Clearances will probably play the most part there and how safe you want to run it. Not physically what pistons you use. Running higher boost you'll run larger clearances to allow for the extra expansion of the piston with the higher temps etc.
Back to top Go down
lee

lee

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptyWed 14 Dec - 11:29

Yellowperil wrote:
Clearances will probably play the most part there and how safe you want to run it. Not physically what pistons you use. Running higher boost you'll run larger clearances to allow for the extra expansion of the piston with the higher temps etc.

So will this be the reason why mine burns so much if it was built for 500bhp and apperantly ran somewhere near that and now its at 350bhp the pistons arnt expanding the same as the should at 500 so the clearances are out? Just trying to get me head around it lol I no it will have to come to bits to find out properly, is it ok to just keep putting oil in for now even tho it uses a litre of oil every 100 miles ?
Back to top Go down
iddysti

iddysti

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptyWed 14 Dec - 12:00

lee wrote:
Yellowperil wrote:

So will this be the reason why mine burns so much if it was built for 500bhp and apperantly ran somewhere near that and now its at 350bhp the pistons arnt expanding the same as the should at 500 so the clearances are out? Just trying to get me head around it lol I no it will have to come to bits to find out properly, is it ok to just keep putting oil in for now even tho it uses a litre of oil every 100 miles ?

1 litre to ever 100 miles Shocked Shocked I think that is excessive.
Back to top Go down
Andy Kindon

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptyWed 14 Dec - 12:35

iddysti wrote:
lee wrote:
Yellowperil wrote:

1 litre to ever 100 miles Shocked Shocked I think that is excessive.

ten litres to every 1000 miles is a little excessive to say the least
Back to top Go down
lee

lee

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptyWed 14 Dec - 14:23

Sorry that was ment to be 200 miles a litre but not far off 100 when my lass uses it stop starting and it not getting warmed up properly on long drives it not that bad but I've used 5 litres full tub and done nearly 1100 miles
Back to top Go down
Trev85

Trev85

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptyWed 14 Dec - 18:32

lee wrote:
Yellowperil wrote:

Try upping the power to close to 500 lee c if the pistons expand then and stop it using oil! lol! lol! lol!
Who built the engine again lee ive forgot?
Back to top Go down
lee

lee

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  EmptyWed 14 Dec - 18:39

Pmsl that's wot a was thinking instead of rebuilding I'll just up the power Smile

An epic company built it pmsl
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal    checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal  Empty

Back to top Go down

checked engine oil to day was missing half litter is this normal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next