North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE-

Go down 
+3
Steviedoo
Sid
ukjesters
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ukjesters

ukjesters

What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- Empty
PostSubject: What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE-   What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyTue 1 Jan - 7:47

First off, Happy New Year to everybody!

Now then, thing is I want to have my cake and eat it! What I mean by that is that I want to keep the scoob but I also want to do the many miles involved with my beloved bird watching, problem is I can have a little trip to Hull (blacktoft sands rspb reserve) and it'll cost me £70 just in fuel (need food money on top of that lol), and also I cannot get onto the Isle of Mull, there's no super unleaded on the island and the roads are just a no-no with the hawks suspension.

So what I've thought is to look into renting either storage/garage etc and reduce the use of the scoob to a second car and buy an old but reliable daily runner. I was hoping that the reduced use and the fact that the car would be garaged in a different postal address would bring down the insurance costs and I could maybe even sorn the car and just tax it for 6 months of the year.

I would be hoping that the reduced running costs of the scoob (petrol,ins,tax,consumables etc) would actually be enough to run a 2nd car?

Do you lot think this is achievable or do you think I'm in cuckoo land with the rest of me birds? I really want to keep the scoob, best car & impreza I've had to date & with no more being imported I definitely want to keep it as it still brings smiles every mile I drive it?

Last edited by ukjesters on Mon 14 Jan - 14:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.rick-thornton-photography.com
Sid

PostSubject: Re: What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE-   What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyTue 1 Jan - 10:48

im in same boat bud but im wanting to gets loads done to her this year an just don't think I can do it using her everyday.i personally think its possible thinkin on just how much fuel u can save and insurance and of coarse the tax so I say yes good idea bud. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ukjesters

ukjesters

PostSubject: Re: What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE-   What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyTue 1 Jan - 11:35

Cheers Sid, I do think its do-able, I've just got to look into it very carefully and weigh up all the options. Including stop buying as many bloody hockey tops!
Back to top Go down
Steviedoo

Steviedoo

PostSubject: Re: What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE-   What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyTue 1 Jan - 11:48

Hope it works out for you but can't see how it's going to be possible to save money, it's going to cost to rent a unit somewhere, then that unit will need insurance as it won't he covered on your house insurance with it been away from the house, then would of thought car insurance would be more expensive if the car is kept at a different address as it will be ckassed as higher risk if no one about to keep check on car for days or even weeks at a time, Then you will have to set off with 0 no claims bonus on your second car so insurance will be higher at 1st then eventually come down over the years the longer you have it, hope I'm wrong so you can save money and keep the scoob but that's just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE-   What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyTue 1 Jan - 12:07

I can assure you it is cheaper, you need to get a 2nd car that is cheap to tax and very good on fuel though, and also limited milage insurance to keep costs down on the scoob.

I have done this for over 10 years now.
Back to top Go down
ukjesters

ukjesters

PostSubject: Re: What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE-   What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyTue 1 Jan - 12:08

Good points there, many thanks for your input.
1.storage, rather have secure storage than, say,rent someone's garage but don't know insurance requirements needed for this, need more research

2.insurance, one of your points was something that I had thought of, vehicle not being kept at the registered keepers address, again need more info on that.
Regarding the second car, didnt realise it would be zero claims bonus to start with, I would've thought, but I'm not sure, that I as a driver have 10 years ncb that that would be taken into account and discounted the insurance for the second car accordingly, but again don't know, we've never been anything but a 1 car family.

3.costs, say I was to sorn the car for 6 months, then I'll only need 6 months tax & insurance so that should be a saving there? And also only need 6 months running costs (all this on the scoob) leaving money to run an old diesel.

It's all up in the air at the moment & really just looking at all the options but getting replies like yours makes you think in different directions which is exactly what I was after.
Worse case scenario I keep the scoob & stop wasting money elsewhere!
Thanks for your help tho
Back to top Go down
Steviedoo

Steviedoo

PostSubject: Re: What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE-   What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyTue 1 Jan - 12:16

Jonny Gav wrote:
I can assure you it is cheaper, you need to get a 2nd car that is cheap to tax and very good on fuel though, and also limited milage insurance to keep costs down on the scoob.

I have done this for over 10 years now.

Yes I agree it will be cheaper if keeping both cars at your property but can't see how if you have to factor in renting or storage costs, and insuring a unit somewhere. As can't imagine that been cheap.

I've had insurance for 2 cars now for around 10 years so have full no claims bonus on both, when you 1st insure a second car you have to start off with 0 no claims as you can only use built up no claims bonus on one car at at time, so as you are using your existing bonus on the scoob you'll have to start from scratch on the second car, that's what I had to do when I 1st got a second car, but like I say hope it works out
Back to top Go down
ukjesters

ukjesters

PostSubject: Re: What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE-   What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyTue 1 Jan - 12:27

Ah, never realised that with the insurance, thanks. Definitely needs some serious thinking about. I'm sure I'll get there in the end (read-I'll still be gassing on about it next year with no change!) LoL
Back to top Go down
Trev85

Trev85

PostSubject: Re: What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE-   What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyTue 1 Jan - 19:15

ive quite offern ran too cars and it does work out cheaper if one is a fuel monster and the other one isnt lol insurance wise im with admiral and have a muilt car policy and when i first added the second car they gave me the same ncb as the other car and the policy hardly went up due too them giving me extra discount on the first!

pick your choice of car careful tho! cheap tax, cheap insurance, cheap to run, cheap to fix and service and reliable!
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE-   What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyWed 2 Jan - 0:24

Agree with trev about picking the right 2nd car, that is very important.
Back to top Go down
lee

lee

PostSubject: Re: What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE-   What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyWed 2 Jan - 11:52

My second car is a 306 hdi not the nicest car to drive but it gets me to a to b very cheap, runs on fresh air Smile
I'm with admiral to and you can swap your ncb over on to different cars
Back to top Go down
keffer

keffer

PostSubject: Re: What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE-   What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyWed 2 Jan - 12:21

i got ,well had Crying or Very sad , a impreza diesle hatch as second car and i liked driving it Smile
Back to top Go down
ukjesters

ukjesters

PostSubject: -UPDATE-   What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyMon 14 Jan - 14:37

Well, needed to wait until today to see how the scoob would do on the M.O.T, oh ye (me) of little faith, sailed through with no advisories. So having already sourced a secure compound with which to put the scoob in I set out today on the hunt & bought a 206 1.4 hdi, 2003 model with 1 keeper & FSH, 83k miles. £30 year tax bracket & runs on fresh air, gears are a bit sloppy compared to the scoob but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Well happy that I'll be able to keep the scoob safe as a weekend/day out car. So thanks for all your advice, especially the importance of what the second car needed to be.

Cheers
Rick
Ps the mrs has already named the pug Scrappy Doo!
Back to top Go down
keffer

keffer

PostSubject: Re: What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE-   What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- EmptyMon 14 Jan - 17:31

great news buddy
and when you get to drive the scooby now it will feel way faster then when you're always driving it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE-   What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE- Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you lot think of this idea? -UPDATE-
Page 1 of 1