North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
6 speed box NPS??????? EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
6 speed box NPS??????? EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
6 speed box NPS??????? EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
6 speed box NPS??????? EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
6 speed box NPS??????? EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
6 speed box NPS??????? EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
6 speed box NPS??????? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
6 speed box NPS??????? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
6 speed box NPS??????? EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

6 speed box NPS???????

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tazz

6 speed box NPS??????? Empty
PostSubject: 6 speed box NPS???????   6 speed box NPS??????? EmptyThu 2 Jun - 2:56

I have recently bought a 2005 blobeye sti. It had a new gearbox as the bearings were damaged in the old one. I have a receipt for £4500 for the gearbox, so i take it, it was brand new from the dealers. Now when i bought it, the cel came on and when i checked it, the code was for the Neutral position switch(NPS). Another thing i noticed was that the reverse lights weren't working. I looked underneath the car and the NPS was disconnected, so i connected it. Once connected the reverse lights come on every time i am in gear. Question Question

My mate has a theory, he says that when the gearbox was replaced, and they swapped all the sensors over from the old gearbox to the new one, they must have put the sensors in the wrong way round and instead of the NPS telling the AVCS heads when it's in gear, it's sending the signal to the reverse lights.

Any help appreciated or just opinions too on whether swapping the sensors will work?

cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
drew@drewsautos

drew@drewsautos

PostSubject: Re: 6 speed box NPS???????   6 speed box NPS??????? EmptyThu 2 Jun - 8:29

sounds like the wrong sensor theres 2 differant neutral pos switchs

1 is off when in neutral the other is on when in neutral wot year car ya putting it in, from memory the earlier switch is off when in neutral
Back to top Go down
Tazz

PostSubject: Re: 6 speed box NPS???????   6 speed box NPS??????? EmptyFri 3 Jun - 3:44

The car is a 2005 STI. A brand new gearbox was put in. My mate saw the disconnected sensor and connected it and read it on his laptop. It reads 0 when in neutral and 1 when in gear.

The previous owner was the guy who had the gearbox replaced, the people who put the new gearbox in and swapped the sensors over from the old gearbox to the new one where just a local garage, which makes me think they were dumb and put the sensors in the opposite holes and the reverse sensor and NPS are the same type of fitting.

Back to top Go down
Andy Kindon

PostSubject: Re: 6 speed box NPS???????   6 speed box NPS??????? EmptyFri 3 Jun - 12:15

the sensors will fit either location, reverse light or nps, easiest way to sort this is swap the wires (connectors) round under the car, or at the connector under the intercooler, you will need a flat bladed watchmakers type screw driver to clip the wires out of the platic connector housing

Andy
Back to top Go down
Tazz

PostSubject: Re: 6 speed box NPS???????   6 speed box NPS??????? EmptyFri 3 Jun - 17:05

cheers guys. I am going to get a new clutch fitted soon, so with the gearbox out, i'll give it a play.

cheers.
Back to top Go down
hardy172

hardy172

PostSubject: Re: 6 speed box NPS???????   6 speed box NPS??????? EmptyFri 3 Jun - 23:30

j555hks (martin) mentioned about his being faulty and it having a difference in performance when working and not something to do with the AVCS heads?? What effect does this have?
Back to top Go down
Tazz

PostSubject: Re: 6 speed box NPS???????   6 speed box NPS??????? EmptySat 4 Jun - 1:11

If the sensor is faulty or disconnected then it effectively switches off the AVCS heads which in turn, makes the car down on power and not have that "KICK" when spooling.
Back to top Go down
drew@drewsautos

drew@drewsautos

PostSubject: Re: 6 speed box NPS???????   6 speed box NPS??????? EmptySat 4 Jun - 8:36

Yip as Taz says when they go tits up the Avcs dosn't work
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6 speed box NPS???????   6 speed box NPS??????? Empty

Back to top Go down

6 speed box NPS???????
Page 1 of 1