North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
couple of questions(tech thread locked) EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
couple of questions(tech thread locked) EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
couple of questions(tech thread locked) EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
couple of questions(tech thread locked) EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
couple of questions(tech thread locked) EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
couple of questions(tech thread locked) EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
couple of questions(tech thread locked) EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
couple of questions(tech thread locked) EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
couple of questions(tech thread locked) EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

couple of questions(tech thread locked)

Go down 
+2
FINN
DAZ.STI
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DAZ.STI

DAZ.STI

couple of questions(tech thread locked) Empty
PostSubject: couple of questions(tech thread locked)   couple of questions(tech thread locked) EmptyFri 29 Jun - 20:49

These may be daft questions to those that know, love these cars but clueless to the mechanics of them, anyway, what benefit do you get from heat wrapping the exhaust(if any)as the wrap is dirt cheap to buy?

Have ordered a 1.3bar rad/header tank cap(normal 0.9bar), but been advised not too use it, as possible cylinder head gasket damage???

Why do they make these 1.3bar caps if no good for purpose?

Only ordered it cos it looks better than the standard yellow one.

ps, Andy, i trust your judgement mate, just curious.
Back to top Go down
FINN
Admin
FINN

PostSubject: Re: couple of questions(tech thread locked)   couple of questions(tech thread locked) EmptySat 30 Jun - 1:02

just fit new 1.3bar cap

it will be ok
Back to top Go down
Trev85

Trev85

PostSubject: Re: couple of questions(tech thread locked)   couple of questions(tech thread locked) EmptySat 30 Jun - 8:08

Heat wrapping! It helps keep engine bay temps down and the gases flow better threw a hot exhaust! But I wouldn't use the cheap heat wrap IMO
Back to top Go down
locky@HYDROtek

locky@HYDROtek

PostSubject: Re: couple of questions(tech thread locked)   couple of questions(tech thread locked) EmptySat 30 Jun - 8:19

Is the cap a eBay special tho it's counter fit gear that f&£ks your car up in the long run mate, fuel pumps... pistons the lot, am sure a cap is a easy make
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: couple of questions(tech thread locked)   couple of questions(tech thread locked) EmptySat 30 Jun - 9:46

Heat wrap- exactly what trev said, exhaust gasses flow faster the hotter they are so fitting an insulator like glass fiber heat wrap keeps the heat in, it also prevents heat soak into intake components like the intercooler, the down side is it traps moisture so stinks when the car is warming up.

1.3bar rad cap, these are used for track/race purposes, the release pressure on a standard cap can be overcome when the temps get above 100 degrees so the 1.3bar cap stops the car chucking all of its water out, on a Subaru the extra pressure in the system can cause the head gaskets to fail if you are on a standard set up.
Back to top Go down
Andy Kindon

PostSubject: Re: couple of questions(tech thread locked)   couple of questions(tech thread locked) EmptySat 30 Jun - 14:44

Jonny Gav wrote:
Heat wrap- exactly what trev said, exhaust gasses flow faster the hotter they are so fitting an insulator like glass fiber heat wrap keeps the heat in, it also prevents heat soak into intake components like the intercooler, the down side is it traps moisture so stinks when the car is warming up.

1.3bar rad cap, these are used for track/race purposes, the release pressure on a standard cap can be overcome when the temps get above 100 degrees so the 1.3bar cap stops the car chucking all of its water out, on a Subaru the extra pressure in the system can cause the head gaskets to fail if you are on a standard set up.

as jonny says the extra pressure can cause problems with head gaskets and water hoses, just buy a 1.3 bar sticker for 50p on that horrible website, shitbay Smile
Back to top Go down
DAZ.STI

DAZ.STI

PostSubject: Re: couple of questions(tech thread locked)   couple of questions(tech thread locked) EmptySat 30 Jun - 19:00

cheers for advice lads, the caps gfetting binned, and Locky, your right mate, £10 from hong kong and free shipping, what does that tell ya??????

thanks again Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: couple of questions(tech thread locked)   couple of questions(tech thread locked) Empty

Back to top Go down

couple of questions(tech thread locked)
Page 1 of 1