North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Whining while steering  EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Whining while steering  EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Whining while steering  EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Whining while steering  EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Whining while steering  EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Whining while steering  EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Whining while steering  EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Whining while steering  EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Whining while steering  EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Whining while steering

Go down 
+4
rob17c
Keiffy
crad08
Dannyp
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Dannyp

Whining while steering  Empty
PostSubject: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptySun 10 Feb - 0:09

Heavy and a really loud whining noise while steering while engine running it seams too not want too turn at all. Am I now in need of a power steering pump ?
Back to top Go down
crad08

crad08

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptySun 10 Feb - 9:25

Is it not power steering fluid . Have ya checked the levels etc mate
Back to top Go down
Keiffy

Keiffy

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptySun 10 Feb - 9:50

[quote="Dannyp"]Heavy and a really loud whining noise while steering

Isnt this normaly caused by wives/girlfriends ?.. Smile Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
rob17c

rob17c

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptySun 10 Feb - 9:53

Heavy steering and a loud pump is usually oil starvation. Have a check and if need be top it up,

Your either shite at maintenance or there's a leak somewhere.
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptySun 10 Feb - 10:38

What colour is the fluid ?

Check for leaks, check the leel and get some-one to work it while you watch the the pump/pulley as when your turning it i suspect it to try and stop thats the feeling your getting.

Not un-common for a pump to fail internally though.
Back to top Go down
Dannyp

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptySun 10 Feb - 10:45

Cheers lads il check all the above and the level is fine . Il have a better look today .
Back to top Go down
Keiffy

Keiffy

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptySun 10 Feb - 11:14

Is your power steering belt ok ?..
Back to top Go down
Dannyp

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptySun 10 Feb - 16:12

Ok bit of a update , turned out was looking at the wrong bottle and the right 1 was empty ! So I know it needed filling so iv ran up too Halfords and topped it and ran it a bit now the whining is still there and the steering is lighter but notchy as and when turning the whining is still apparent seams too be some leaking but was not leaking before . But there wasn't any thing in the bottle . Guna keep a eye on the level and hope it gets me home ok then will get it too a garage Tuesday when my next day off is .
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptySun 10 Feb - 18:39

If ran dry the pump wont take long to become poorly. Have you bleed the system ? Fill the bottle and turn it lock to lock with the top off and let the air out the system,
Back to top Go down
Dannyp

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptySun 10 Feb - 21:26

Yea iv bled the system , all full and what not but there is a leak . Still really notchy tho. Il be driving it home but guna make sure it's full before I set off . Guna get it too a garage on Tuesday have it checked out. Was about this time last year I crashed the car so now this has gone wrong I now no longer like February lol
Back to top Go down
Dannyp

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptyMon 11 Feb - 0:40

Well I got the car home and it was feeling good until I got on too north road and boom starter whining gain pulled strait over and boom the bottle was empty again . So topped it back up till I got in . Have a feeling will be leaking all night. So defo a big leak . Can this be fixed ? Or will it be a new rack :0(
Back to top Go down
FINN
Admin
FINN

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptyMon 11 Feb - 1:01

Dannyp wrote:
Well I got the car home and it was feeling good until I got on too north road and boom starter whining gain pulled strait over and boom the bottle was empty again . So topped it back up till I got in . Have a feeling will be leaking all night. So defo a big leak . Can this be fixed ? Or will it be a new rack :0(
can u not see any leaks below pump ??

it will leak the most once engine is running as it has pressure wen engine is running.

if it is leaking on the rack, its alot easier ov a job been a non turbo Wink
Back to top Go down
Dannyp

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptyMon 11 Feb - 10:22

Na no leeks from the pump defo the rack on the drivers side but guna get it on a ramp tomorrow see what's what . 180 for a recon return on the rack . :0(
Back to top Go down
Trev85

Trev85

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptyMon 11 Feb - 10:54

Check where the pipes go onto the rack they may just need a nip up!
Back to top Go down
Dannyp

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptyMon 11 Feb - 13:36

Will get on it , when I can get the car on the ramp too low too get under lol . Just my luck tho was feb last yea when had too spend £££ on it after bumping it so been really carefull with it this year .
Back to top Go down
Dannyp

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptyTue 12 Feb - 15:33

Ok so had a mechanic look at it and seams that the seals are bust on the rack on the right hand side . The same side that hit the curb this time last year lol we think with lowering the car it's putting more stress on it causing the seal too fail. Recon rack from DMFX 180 but have too give them my old 1.

Any advice on changing it any thing I need too take off too help do it .
Back to top Go down
maxboost

maxboost

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptyTue 12 Feb - 17:32

the pas pipes to the rack are a fookin pig to get off & re-fit in situ. could you not just chance the seals, 180 seems a bit steep imo
Back to top Go down
Dannyp

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  EmptyTue 12 Feb - 18:35

I'm really expecting it too be a bit of a tw@ to get off , il be doin this on a drive way with the car jacked up . I'm hoping with it been a new car I won't have too much trouble with bolts . I could probs get a seal kit for it but with the car having a bump last year I thought I'd got away with it but seams not. Waiting for a mail of some 1 with a rack off a wrx may be the same . £150 tho so but of a save .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whining while steering    Whining while steering  Empty

Back to top Go down

Whining while steering
Page 1 of 1