HomeRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

 

 Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
carl08

carl08

Posts : 775
Join date : 2014-01-28
Age : 40
Location : Hartlepool

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 10:47

Having recently bought a hatch wrx and then started reading all the disaster stories of the 2.5 pistons, i obviously avoided telling the wife about the problem as its her daily driver while i work away and (She did not want another scooby!)  Sad 

But now she has fell for the car, i sent a couple of P.Ms to Andy Kindon, (who seems very helpful by the way!) i have decided to get the problem sorted before the big bang. Idea 

Any way I am away for at least another month but am looking at getting it done next time i am home so today i dropped the bomb on the wife!  cherry 

Basically it went like this, "Natalie i am getting worried about that car we bought, been reading loads of horror stories on the net about engine failures it could happen any minute whilst you are driving! blah blah blah" So now she is shitting herself that its going to pop but unknown to her next week i will have chatted with a  very helpful mechanic (Andy Kindon) who will fix it and make it all safe for her lol.....

Any way thats the plan then i will have to stop spending cash on it for a couple of months after the build to let her settle down. Then hit her with a turbo front mount and remap  lol!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 10:56

Nicely done young man  Lucky! 
Back to top Go down
bigwill

bigwill

Posts : 177
Join date : 2011-01-15
Age : 42
Location : lemington newcastle upon tyne

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 11:08

Like ur style mate
Back to top Go down
byers

byers

Posts : 3378
Join date : 2011-02-19
Age : 41
Location : Hpool

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 12:20

Hope I see her about cotta il say he's full of shit there's nowt wrong with them..

Can't beat a spanner in the works

Few pints for me should sort the problem when your back hahaha

__________________________________________________
"Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

Posts : 6837
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 49
Location : Durham

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 12:23

That could back fire, you could come home and find she has swapped it for a focus  Shocked lol! 
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

Posts : 6837
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 49
Location : Durham

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 12:25

Or she could do some googling and find this thread  affraid lol! 
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 12:52

Well done. Well I got good new from my wife yesterday said can do wat I want once cars forged.

Hey hey big thumbs up Wink
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

Posts : 775
Join date : 2014-01-28
Age : 40
Location : Hartlepool

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 13:05

I have already got my mate to start dropping hints that the engines are shite he was round mine yesterday looking at my new exhaust Laughing

Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

Posts : 775
Join date : 2014-01-28
Age : 40
Location : Hartlepool

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 13:07

byers wrote:
Hope I see her about cotta il say he's full of shit there's nowt wrong with them..

Can't beat a spanner in the works

Few pints for me should sort the problem when your back hahaha

Byers you cant handle a few pints, i will get you a fruit shoot at the next meet lol! 
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

Posts : 775
Join date : 2014-01-28
Age : 40
Location : Hartlepool

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 13:18

Nunu wrote:
Well done.  Well I got good new from my wife yesterday said can do wat I want once cars forged.  

Hey hey big thumbs up Wink

I will defo have to wait a while before splashing more cash.

What you looking at doing to yours once its forged?
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

Posts : 775
Join date : 2014-01-28
Age : 40
Location : Hartlepool

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 13:30

Jonny Gav wrote:
That could back fire, you could come home and find she has swapped it for a focus  Shocked lol! 

Funny enough i bought her a Focus about a month before i bought myself the impreza but once she drove the impreza she wanted rid of the Focus  lol! 
Back to top Go down
sparkey

sparkey

Posts : 120
Join date : 2010-03-14
Age : 52
Location : in a hatch

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 18:24

wrx doesn't have piston issues ! its just sti if I remember rightly
Back to top Go down
lian&johnsti

lian&johnsti

Posts : 2392
Join date : 2010-03-13
Age : 42
Location : razzle dazzle mobile car valeting

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 18:46

Yeah thats what i thought to sparkey
Back to top Go down
andybish

andybish

Posts : 1249
Join date : 2012-02-25
Age : 39
Location : billingham

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 18:48

lol very cool like it
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

Posts : 6837
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 49
Location : Durham

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 18:53

The WRX 2.5 uses the same high silicon pistons as the sti so as soon as you start putting a bit power through it, it will have issues.
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

Posts : 775
Join date : 2014-01-28
Age : 40
Location : Hartlepool

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 18:55

From reading up on other forums all the 2.5s have issues its like a lottery who's goes at what mileage and lots of different views on why, but the hatch 330s seem to be the worst!
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

Posts : 775
Join date : 2014-01-28
Age : 40
Location : Hartlepool

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 18:56

carl08 wrote:
From reading up on other forums all the 2.5s have issues its like a lottery who's goes at what mileage and lots of different views on why, but the hatch 330s seem to be the worst!

I think this is due to the map they are running?
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

Posts : 775
Join date : 2014-01-28
Age : 40
Location : Hartlepool

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 18:59

Jonny Gav wrote:
The WRX 2.5 uses the same high silicon pistons as the sti so as soon as you start putting a bit power through it, it will have issues.

Yep apparently from what i have read these high silicon pistons are good but they cant handle any det whatsoever so buy the time the ecu reacts to the det the damage is done!
Back to top Go down
sparkey

sparkey

Posts : 120
Join date : 2010-03-14
Age : 52
Location : in a hatch

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 19:46

yep john ive not heard of wrx having any problems

mainly sti & afew 330s
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

Posts : 6837
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 49
Location : Durham

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 20:08

That's cos there aren't many higher powered WRX's, at a standard 227hp and a TD04 turbo the pistons are well within there design limits.

When you get up into the 300's the extra heat generated seems to overload the pistons, god knows why subaru chose to use such a right tolerance, most likely to do with emissions, think they decided to use a high silicon alloy as it has less swell than a more ductile alloy, the downside is the high silicon alloy is brittle, any swell caused by heat will result in piston to bore contact, the smallest area on the piston is the portion between the rings (ring land) if this contacts the bore it will snap.

Using a more ductile material and a larger clearance will prevent this from happening, problem is from an emissions point of view, when the engine is cold it will pass more oil and gasses past the rings, they are quite noisy when cold too (piston slap) so the avarage car buyer would think the engine sound rough and complain as owners did in 1998 when the V4 Impreza was launched.

Catch 22 really.
Back to top Go down
carl08

carl08

Posts : 775
Join date : 2014-01-28
Age : 40
Location : Hartlepool

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 20:40

Jonny Gav wrote:
That's cos there aren't many higher powered WRX's, at a standard 227hp and a TD04 turbo the pistons are well within there design limits.

When you get up into the 300's the extra heat generated seems to overload the pistons, god knows why subaru chose to use such a right tolerance, most likely to do with emissions, think they decided to use a high silicon alloy as it has less swell than a more ductile alloy, the downside is the high silicon alloy is brittle, any swell caused by heat will result in piston to bore contact, the smallest area on the piston is the portion between the rings (ring land) if this contacts the bore it will snap.

Using a more ductile material and a larger clearance will prevent this from happening, problem is from an emissions point of view, when the engine is cold it will pass more oil and gasses past the rings, they are quite noisy when cold too (piston slap) so the avarage car buyer would think the engine sound rough and complain as owners did in 1998 when the V4 Impreza was launched.

Catch 22 really.

This sums up a lot of reading in a simple post study  (BUT)-
I am no impreza expert but i have been reading a lot about other 2.5 failures, and also a lot of experts opinions (which do differ bye the way).
To be honest it still seems like a lotto as some people blame, fuel, oil, high revs etc. But each case of failure is different.
Standard looked after car 10000 miles pop! Mistreated car 80000 no probs Question 
Lots of complaints to Subaru but no liability accepted  confused

Back to top Go down
byers

byers

Posts : 3378
Join date : 2011-02-19
Age : 41
Location : Hpool

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 21:52

fookin horrible noise piston slap mines loud till warm hate it

__________________________________________________
"Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

Posts : 6837
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 49
Location : Durham

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 22:07

carl08 wrote:
Jonny Gav wrote:
That's cos there aren't many higher powered WRX's, at a standard 227hp and a TD04 turbo the pistons are well within there design limits.

When you get up into the 300's the extra heat generated seems to overload the pistons, god knows why subaru chose to use such a right tolerance, most likely to do with emissions, think they decided to use a high silicon alloy as it has less swell than a more ductile alloy, the downside is the high silicon alloy is brittle, any swell caused by heat will result in piston to bore contact, the smallest area on the piston is the portion between the rings (ring land) if this contacts the bore it will snap.

Using a more ductile material and a larger clearance will prevent this from happening, problem is from an emissions point of view, when the engine is cold it will pass more oil and gasses past the rings, they are quite noisy when cold too (piston slap) so the avarage car buyer would think the engine sound rough and complain as owners did in 1998 when the V4 Impreza was launched.

Catch 22 really.

This sums up a lot of reading in a simple post study  (BUT)-
I am no impreza expert but i have been reading a lot about other 2.5 failures, and also a lot of experts opinions (which do differ bye the way).
To be honest it still seems like a lotto as some people blame, fuel, oil, high revs etc. But each case of failure is different.
Standard looked after car 10000 miles pop! Mistreated car 80000 no probs Question 
Lots of complaints to Subaru but no liability accepted  confused


It isn't a complicated subject, it's simple mechanical engineering, remember all machined and cast parts have engineering limits around them, the bore will have a minimum and maximum tolerance and so will the piston, if you get the piston diameter on the top end of the spec and the bore on the bottom end it will be more likely to fail over an engine with the piston at bottom end and the bore at top end of the tolerances.
That is before you bring roundness and concentricity into the equation, I deal with this type of problem with bore castings all the time at work.
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

Posts : 2607
Join date : 2012-07-26

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 22:14

Me too, Friday engineering at its best,
Back to top Go down
SG03RRZ

SG03RRZ

Posts : 1295
Join date : 2012-08-11
Age : 33
Location : darlington

Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... EmptySun 16 Feb - 22:18

I can lend u a smoke grenade lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...   Just planted the seed now watch it grow  lol... Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Just planted the seed now watch it grow lol...
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Hemp anyone?
» Rival Watch.
» All along... the watch tower pays off.
» Replacement watch Polar vs Garmin
» lost of my precious watch... reward RM50 for appreciation

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
North East Subaru Forum :: General Chat-
Jump to: