North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration.

Go down 
+3
wrx/uk/ppp
keffer
KushBex
7 posters
AuthorMessage
KushBex

KushBex

Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. Empty
PostSubject: Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration.   Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptySat 22 Oct - 9:18

Hey folks,
Just recently noticed that the Foz is making a pretty loud metallic crackling noise when decelerating.

Foz has a Hayward & Scott 3" downpipe & centre section plus an HKS Hi-Power backbox.

I have started to check the gaskets in the system and all seem fine.

Thinking that I may have a hairline crack in either the headers or the up-pipe - has anyone else had similar?
Back to top Go down
keffer

keffer

PostSubject: Re: Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration.   Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptySat 22 Oct - 9:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpAo6niwDH0

does it sounds like this????
then it is the pitch stopper that came lose like he says
Back to top Go down
KushBex

KushBex

PostSubject: Re: Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration.   Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptySat 22 Oct - 9:38

Nah - My noise sounds like one of those car crushing machines.
Proper metal noise - almost sounds like part of the exhaust is twisting and causing the metallic crackle. Or there is a slight crack that when the pressure builds up on deceleration the exhaust gasses are forcing the crack open causing the noise.

Back to top Go down
keffer

keffer

PostSubject: Re: Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration.   Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptySat 22 Oct - 10:03

hmmm doesn't sound good Neutral
Back to top Go down
KushBex

KushBex

PostSubject: Re: Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration.   Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptyMon 24 Oct - 18:39

Anyone any ideas?
Back to top Go down
wrx/uk/ppp

wrx/uk/ppp

PostSubject: Re: Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration.   Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptyMon 24 Oct - 18:59

Have you sussed out where the noise is coming from mate scratch

Does it sound like a bag of spanners in a washing machine had an rst series 2 that made that sort of noise but on hard accelaration turned out to be pinking affraid

hope you get it sorted mate !
Back to top Go down
Calvert_87

Calvert_87

PostSubject: Re: Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration.   Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptyMon 24 Oct - 19:03

I had a nasty sounding metallic noise when lifting off the accelerator sometimes. Drew spotted I had cracked one of the metal heat shields and it was moving about and catching making the sound. Nothing to series just lived with it.
Back to top Go down
KushBex

KushBex

PostSubject: Re: Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration.   Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptyMon 24 Oct - 19:36

It deffo sounds like metal to metal contact - and only on hard deceleration when warm.
Going to source some proper 3" exhaust gaskets rather than the egay crap that I got earlier.
Sure that is the problem.

Only heat shields left on the car are around the turbo and the headers.

Almost like a metal fart Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration.   Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptyMon 24 Oct - 19:38

I would put money on it being a heat shield on the headers, bet its a top one and the bolt holes have rusted through.

whats me odds??? Laughing
Back to top Go down
KushBex

KushBex

PostSubject: Re: Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration.   Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptyMon 24 Oct - 19:40

Jonny Gav wrote:
I would put money on it being a heat shield on the headers, bet its a top one and the bolt holes have rusted through.

whats me odds??? Laughing

Cheers Jonny.

Your odds are that good that I am planning on getting the car into my garage and rip them off before the RR day, that is if I can source the flamin' parts for my father-in-laws Shogun Pinin and get it out of my flamin' garage.

Got loads to do to my car this week.

Mind you - It's a very good excuse to get Bex to let me buy a set of those famous Finnsport Ported Headers - Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration.   Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptyMon 24 Oct - 19:51

Now that sounds like a good plan! Cool
Back to top Go down
Andy Kindon

PostSubject: Re: Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration.   Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptyMon 24 Oct - 21:33

heatsheields on up-pipe is most common, get them in all the time
Back to top Go down
drew@drewsautos

drew@drewsautos

PostSubject: Re: Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration.   Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptyMon 24 Oct - 22:06

Andy Kindon wrote:
heatsheields on up-pipe is most common, get them in all the time

yip ya can get in to mig the top of the heat shield in situ to stop it rattling etc
Back to top Go down
KushBex

KushBex

PostSubject: Re: Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration.   Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. EmptyMon 24 Oct - 22:12

Cool - Thanks lads.
Gonna have to make sure that I don't start the car and see if I can get in to give it a few knocks to check.
Cracking idea with migging it up Drew - Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration.   Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration. Empty

Back to top Go down

Loud Metallic Crackling Noise On Deceleration.
Page 1 of 1