North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
4 wheel alignment settings EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
4 wheel alignment settings EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
4 wheel alignment settings EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
4 wheel alignment settings EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
4 wheel alignment settings EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
4 wheel alignment settings EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
4 wheel alignment settings EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
4 wheel alignment settings EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
4 wheel alignment settings EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

4 wheel alignment settings

Go down 
+3
bybyr1
Jonny Gav
Steviedoo
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Steviedoo

Steviedoo

4 wheel alignment settings Empty
PostSubject: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptyThu 28 Mar - 23:48

I'm getting 4 wheel alignment done on my Hawk Sti on Tuesday the car has standard suspension apart from anti lift kit and prodrive springs that I'm getting fitted when getting alignment done, my question is what settings are best for road use.
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptyFri 29 Mar - 6:37

Standard road settings.
Back to top Go down
bybyr1

bybyr1

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptyFri 29 Mar - 6:55

When you say standard settings, does that mean everything set at 0 so no toe in or no camber. The reason I ask is mine has just been done and it don't seam to handle very well.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Steviedoo

Steviedoo

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptyFri 29 Mar - 8:21

Jonny Gav wrote:
Standard road settings.

What are the standard road settings then Jonny, or where will I get these settings from, also why do you say the standard road settings are these the Prodrive settimgs you mean thanks.
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptyFri 29 Mar - 21:26

If your getting it 4 wheel laser aligned the computer should know the standard specs for your car, whom is doing the work ?
Back to top Go down
Steviedoo

Steviedoo

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptySat 30 Mar - 8:43

Yes I know the machine will have the standard settings for my car, was just wondering if their was any other recommended settings that would be better for the car with the prodrive lowering springs on to make it handle a little better, I'm getting it done off SidewaysDan off here.

https://nesf.forumotion.co.uk/t14132-4-wheel-alignment
Back to top Go down
atwrx

atwrx

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptySat 30 Mar - 9:34

I've heard a lot of people getting the prodrive settings done. I don't know what they are tho.

Apparently Dan is a top bloke and will sit down and talk you through the settings anyway.
They've got their own racing team so should know what they're doing Wink

I'm going to get him to do mine once I have the components on.

Last edited by atwrx on Sat 30 Mar - 11:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptySat 30 Mar - 11:04

I mean the standard settings that the machine is pre programmed with as Stick says, moving away from these to say the prodrive settings will improve the cornering ability but will have negative effects on things like tyre wear etc
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptySat 30 Mar - 11:13

These are the published Prodrive alignment settings and the settings that they put on an RB320 - For info only as I haven't a clue about alignment...I just get Dan to sort it!

Values are read: minimum / preferred / maximum

Front Camber -1°20' / -1°15' / -1°10'

Front Toe-in (Total) 0°02' / 0°06' / 0°10'

Front Caster / 3°00' (Referential value) /

Rear Camber -2°15' / -1°30' / -0°54'(Std Subaru tolerance)

Rear Toe-in (Total) 0°02' / 0°60' / 0°10'

Everywhere I have read recommends "fast road" settings over the Prodrive ones due to excessive inner tyre wear - Haven't a clue WTF "fast road" setings are!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptySat 30 Mar - 11:23

That's what I mean, the agressive settings will definately run the inside edges off on your tyres, it will corner well though Laughing
Back to top Go down
bybyr1

bybyr1

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptySat 30 Mar - 11:35

I have a print out of my current settings which was done at Tyre exchange in stockton but don't know how topost it up on here. The old setting were running the tyres off on the inside as well but new settings don't make the car handle well but also not sure if suspension needs sorting.

Last edited by bybyr1 on Sat 30 Mar - 15:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
natski

natski

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptySat 30 Mar - 15:10

Mine has the Prodrive settings ask mid life what my tyres looked like.. They were only 7 months old Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Steviedoo

Steviedoo

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptySat 30 Mar - 15:49

Thanks all for the information, think I'll steer clear of the prodrive settings then and just go for some sort of fast road setting, as I don't want the tyres to self destruct Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sideways-dan

sideways-dan

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptySat 30 Mar - 22:39

Those prodrive settings don't seem that extreme. I take it the preferred rear toe setting is supposed to be 0'06 and not 0'60 as that would actually be 1'00 (60 mins in 1 degree)

The cambers are a little higher than i would expect to put on a road car and are what would cause the excessive tire wear.

Alignment is a very subjective thing and what 1 person likes may not suit another. Its not an exact science. When setting up race cars it takes a lot of testing and measurements to find the best setup. Even then the setup may have to be changed for different circuits or track conditions. On a road car this just isn't possible and the setup has to be a compromise for all driving conditions. When i am setting a customers car up the sort of questions i ask are:

What do you use the car for?
If tracked, how much?
what is the power level?
How important is tire wear?
how do you want the car to feel?
how do you drive the car (smooth or aggressive)?
what suspension mods have been done?
do you mostly drive the car on your own?

Other things such as ride height and tire choice also need to be taken into consideration.
With all of this information and the standard car specs as a base, i can put together a tailored setup that should work well for the customer.

Back to top Go down
http://akautomotive-mx5.co.uk
Steviedoo

Steviedoo

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptySat 30 Mar - 22:50

sideways-dan wrote:
Those prodrive settings don't seem that extreme. I take it the preferred rear toe setting is supposed to be 0'06 and not 0'60 as that would actually be 1'00 (60 mins in 1 degree)

The cambers are a little higher than i would expect to put on a road car and are what would cause the excessive tire wear.

Alignment is a very subjective thing and what 1 person likes may not suit another. Its not an exact science. When setting up race cars it takes a lot of testing and measurements to find the best setup. Even then the setup may have to be changed for different circuits or track conditions. On a road car this just isn't possible and the setup has to be a compromise for all driving conditions. When i am setting a customers car up the sort of questions i ask are:

What do you use the car for?
If tracked, how much?
what is the power level?
How important is tire wear?
how do you want the car to feel?
how do you drive the car (smooth or aggressive)?
what suspension mods have been done?
do you mostly drive the car on your own?

Other things such as ride height and tire choice also need to be taken into consideration.
With all of this information and the standard car specs as a base, i can put together a tailored setup that should work well for the customer.

Sounds like you definitely know your stuff Dan, I'll discuss this with you when I drop the car off on Tuesday Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sideways-dan

sideways-dan

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptySat 30 Mar - 22:54

I look forward to it. Very Happy

Think Mario is in the same day to have his sorted after some upgrades.
Back to top Go down
http://akautomotive-mx5.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptySat 30 Mar - 22:57

sideways-dan wrote:

Yes mate - 2.00pm for me mate - looking forwrd to it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Steviedoo

Steviedoo

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings EmptySat 30 Mar - 22:57

sideways-dan wrote:

Yes he is in after mine, I've been speaking to him
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4 wheel alignment settings   4 wheel alignment settings Empty

Back to top Go down

4 wheel alignment settings
Page 1 of 1