North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
classic engine swap EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
classic engine swap EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
classic engine swap EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
classic engine swap EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
classic engine swap EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
classic engine swap EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
classic engine swap EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
classic engine swap EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
classic engine swap EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

classic engine swap

Go down 
+2
natski
sideways-dan
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sideways-dan

sideways-dan

classic engine swap Empty
PostSubject: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyFri 19 Apr - 23:32

what year car would be best to get an engine/turbo from to put into a late classic? got someone who needs an engine change but wants a bit more power/reliability at the same time. he is going to buy a crash damaged donor car for the engine/turbo and any other bits needed and then have it mapped. also does the gearbox/diff from a later car fit straight into a classic?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
http://akautomotive-mx5.co.uk
natski

natski

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyFri 19 Apr - 23:47

Bug/blob WRX engine and turbo will be fine and match up to the existing gearbox and running gear.
Assuming its just a UK turbo 2000 classic. IMO it would be a better idea to send the engine off to Andy Kindon to get it rebuilt and strengthened up for future power modifications as once you start upping the power you can't stop.
Back to top Go down
sideways-dan

sideways-dan

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptySat 20 Apr - 0:03

we build all our own engines in house but i don't think he wants to go that far or spend that much. plus he needs an engine anyway as the original is FUBAR. the figure of ~330bhp was mentioned...
Back to top Go down
natski

natski

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptySat 20 Apr - 0:18

Well in that case Dan any std bug or blob WRX engine and a front entry TD05 16g preferably built by Jonny will be fine
Back to top Go down
sideways-dan

sideways-dan

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptySat 20 Apr - 1:49

sounds like a plan! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptySat 20 Apr - 23:07

Another UK turbo motor will run that power with ease, cheap to find aswell.
Back to top Go down
sideways-dan

sideways-dan

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptySun 21 Apr - 18:13

yea so i hear. now thinking about a bit more power for the RB5 too but my engine is a bit tired. thinking of either rebuilding it or just sourcing another to either use as is or rebuild.

question is, if i am going to the bother of rebuilding it do u put a set of forged pistons and rods in it whilst i am there....
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptySun 21 Apr - 23:16

I personally would go for the whole lot, then its mint!

Lateral sell a nice kit for sensible money and you can put together yourself.
Back to top Go down
sideways-dan

sideways-dan

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyMon 22 Apr - 0:06

which kit were you thinking? you mean going forged?
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyMon 22 Apr - 21:56

Yeah, go forged for longevity reasons.
Back to top Go down
JSTi

JSTi

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyTue 23 Apr - 13:09

StickT wrote:

Never understood comments like that. How does a forged engine improve longevity?

A standard engine will withstand years of use if you look after it and keep things within their design limits. A forged engine is no different, albeit it can handle higher stresses than a standard one. In the same light, it can also go pop just as quickly in the event of a failure or neglect.

Back to top Go down
sideways-dan

sideways-dan

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyTue 23 Apr - 13:11

sometimes go pop a quite a lot quicker depending on who built it and how it is used.
Back to top Go down
sideways-dan

sideways-dan

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyTue 23 Apr - 13:12

double post!!!
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyTue 23 Apr - 21:03

I shall explain then, If you build it all to standard spec and go for X amount of power then later decided to put the power up to Y then standard components may be out spec/limits and require upgrading which could have been done at an earlier time. That explain myself better?

I understand its all about use/maintainance/builer/parts etc ... I build engines quite alot at work so am not new to putting a motor together.
Back to top Go down
natski

natski

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyTue 23 Apr - 21:10

JSTi wrote:
StickT wrote:

Never understood comments like that. How does a forged engine improve longevity?

A standard engine will withstand years of use if you look after it and keep things within their design limits. A forged engine is no different, albeit it can handle higher stresses than a standard one. In the same light, it can also go pop just as quickly in the event of a failure or neglect.

I agree with this
Back to top Go down
natski

natski

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyTue 23 Apr - 21:10

StickT wrote:
I shall explain then, If you build it all to standard spec and go for X amount of power then later decided to put the power up to Y then standard components may be out spec/limits and require upgrading which could have been done at an earlier time. That explain myself better?

I understand its all about use/maintainance/builer/parts etc ... I build engines quite alot at work so am not new to putting a motor together.

I agree with this also Very Happy
Back to top Go down
natski

natski

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyTue 23 Apr - 21:13

I also think its probably better just to leave the car standard as once you start upping the power you end up broke and in many cases so does your car either blown up or smashed up..

Too late for me now but I wish I kept it as it was...
Back to top Go down
GIPA

GIPA

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyTue 23 Apr - 21:22

Are you thinking about putting the engine box etc out of a new age with all the new wiring harness ? Lot of work involved in that ?

The engine and box will drop straight in but the wiring is a nightmare you'd need the dash etc aswell unless ya going syvecs to run avcs etc

Would be easier to just put a bottom end in and keep the same heads inlet wiring etc
Gearbox will go straight in aswell with matching diff

Last edited by GIPA on Tue 23 Apr - 21:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyTue 23 Apr - 21:23

I know freak things like this happen aswell,

classic engine swap NewcastleUponTyne-20130423-00838_zpsd4462475

3 year old engine, 20,000 on clocks, regular servicing and a eldery couple own it so doubt its had a hard life either,
Back to top Go down
maca

maca

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyTue 23 Apr - 21:26

natski wrote:
I also think its probably better just to leave the car standard as once you start upping the power you end up broke and in many cases so does your car either blown up or smashed up..

Too late for me now but I wish I kept it as it was...

Dan owns his own garage and races mx5's which blow up every 20 mins Laughing

dont think he's fussed about rebuilds and cost etc.....
Back to top Go down
sideways-dan

sideways-dan

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyTue 23 Apr - 22:00

the only reason i am thinking about a new engine/rebuild is that mine has 150000 miles on it. there is some documentation in the history of a rebuild including 1 head refurbished and a replacement refurbished head. the details are a little vague though and the engine is sounding slightly on the rough side with a bit of piston slap and rattly top ends. it has also started smoking a bit on long overrun but i suspect this is the turbo so i will either rebuild or replace that. it has had a remap and should be around 280bhp.

i am not really after monster power as i have a 400bhp, 900kg race car for being daft in. i would be happy with around 300bhp but i want the RB5 to be rite. its in for paint work this week to sort some little bits out and next i am going to refurb the standard alloys. i just don't want the engine to be the bit that lets the car down or something i have to worry about.

don't know if i should just leave it and see how long it lasts or do something about it now.

damn my customer coming in needing an engine change!!!

Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyTue 23 Apr - 22:10

If thats the grand plan i would just look for a low miler motor to put in or a strip and basic refresh of the original motor. Either way i would look now rather then being let down by a tired motor,
Back to top Go down
sideways-dan

sideways-dan

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyTue 23 Apr - 22:30

im starting to lean towards a refresh of the original. just how far to go... it has piston slap so its going to need that sorting. best start looking for bits!
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyTue 23 Apr - 22:34

Is it constant slap or just on wamr up ?
Back to top Go down
sideways-dan

sideways-dan

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap EmptyTue 23 Apr - 23:23

its just on warm up. maybe a very slight rattle when revved if you really listen with your head under the bonnet. nothing when under load.

she is a tired old girl....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: classic engine swap   classic engine swap Empty

Back to top Go down

classic engine swap
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next