North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Ecu's and mapping?? EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Ecu's and mapping?? EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Ecu's and mapping?? EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Ecu's and mapping?? EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Ecu's and mapping?? EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Ecu's and mapping??

Go down 
+6
jonesy81
StickT
wjgv3
garyblake
LouisB
andyden71
10 posters
AuthorMessage
andyden71

andyden71

Ecu's and mapping?? Empty
PostSubject: Ecu's and mapping??   Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyWed 19 Jun - 16:00

A daft question but when people talk about mapping ect ect do you change the ecu or just remap the one that's on the car ie if I got a ecotek map do's that go into a named ecotek ecu or is the ecotek just a new software map I'm confused.com
Back to top Go down
LouisB

LouisB

PostSubject: Re: Ecu's and mapping??   Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyWed 19 Jun - 16:08

I think ecutek is software that goes on standard ECU that's why you need a license for it etc. But you can get aftermarket ECUs as well such as Alcatek/Simtek.

So as your question would just be remapping the standard ECU with ecutek software/support as I understand it anyways.
Back to top Go down
andyden71

andyden71

PostSubject: Re: Ecu's and mapping??   Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyWed 19 Jun - 16:24

So donut like a Semtex map with ecu would cost a lot more
Back to top Go down
andyden71

andyden71

PostSubject: Re: Ecu's and mapping??   Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyWed 19 Jun - 16:28

So if I remove all the metal plates or plate that's under the carpet in the car I should be able to see if it got a standard or a upgraded ecu if standard it might not have been mapped but luckily it might have a Simtek or other ecu what should I be looking for
Back to top Go down
garyblake

garyblake

PostSubject: Re: Ecu's and mapping??   Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyWed 19 Jun - 16:48

Mate you have to open ecu up have look on eBay will show you photos mate
Back to top Go down
wjgv3

wjgv3

PostSubject: Re: Ecu's and mapping??   Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyWed 19 Jun - 16:53

you would have to open your ecu take off casing and check what board is in it as simtek only come as a board as far as im aware and you put this in the casing of your existing ecu removing your old board correct me if im wrong tho peeps
Back to top Go down
StickT

StickT

PostSubject: Re: Ecu's and mapping??   Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyWed 19 Jun - 21:16

My Alcatek looks exactly like a standard ecu. You need to remove the cover and se what, if anything is on the PCB board inside, if unsure, post up a pic of it.
Back to top Go down
jonesy81

jonesy81

PostSubject: Re: Ecu's and mapping??   Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyThu 20 Jun - 3:02

What year car is it
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Ecu's and mapping??   Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyThu 20 Jun - 7:08

andyden71 wrote:

Yeah they cost a bomb mate Smile
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: Ecu's and mapping??   Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyThu 20 Jun - 8:33

I see what you did there Jonny.......very funny.

Andy, you can also get an Opensource map on your ECU which negates the cost of buying a licence for the Ecutek map. Essentially you are doing the same thing in terms of the mapping, but Opensource is a sort of unofficial way of doing it. Lots of folks go this way, including myself on my last car and that was a leap of faith for me as I am naturally very risk averse. However I had no issues from the original session and had 4 further tweaks as I modded the vehicle (all the mapping work was carried out by Andy Carr). I believe a simtek might have more features on it, but your standard ECU can get you to some pretty decent power levels and more features than they used to before you need to think of swapping it out. I guess it depends on what you have planned for the future.
Back to top Go down
cdm1

cdm1

PostSubject: Re: Ecu's and mapping??   Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyThu 20 Jun - 8:49

Jonny Gav wrote:
andyden71 wrote:

Yeah they cost a bomb mate Smile

LaughingLaughingLaughing
Back to top Go down
andyden71

andyden71

PostSubject: Re: Ecu's and mapping??   Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyThu 20 Jun - 10:07

Lol Johnny it's this bloody iPhone keeps changing words so KGB opensource could be a way to go does Andy Carr do the mapping or does he just preper the car to be mapped?? Jonesy81 my cars a 02 bugeye impreza
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: Ecu's and mapping??   Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyThu 20 Jun - 11:30

Andy Carr does the mapping (on the road). He's done a few of the folks on here. He's actually based over Preston way, but was coming over pretty regular at one point. I also believe he was working with ASP in Birtley so you could give Alyn a call and make enquiries. Of course you've also got other well respected mappers like Andy Forrest, Bob Rawle and Duncan (Dynamix) who make trips to our region, with sessions arranged by Kindon, Finn, GIPA etc, but I dont know whether those guys do Opensource or not, sure someone will tell you quickly if they are following this. You could go and visit some of these guys at their base as an individual, but you are better off attending an organised group session to keep the costs down. If you check out the Andy Forrest website, thats got some good info to help you in your decisions and understand whats involved. Like I said, plan what you want to do and what your funds allow and then act accordingly. Its not a cheap thing to do and once you start its a slippery slope Laughing
Back to top Go down
garyblake

garyblake

PostSubject: Re: Ecu's and mapping??   Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyThu 20 Jun - 12:10

Andrew car no on his site mate used him on my last subaru hawkeye 
Nice guy
Back to top Go down
kgt
Admin
kgt

PostSubject: Re: Ecu's and mapping??   Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyThu 20 Jun - 12:14

You could contact him through here http://www.teamcarr.net/
Back to top Go down
atwrx

atwrx

PostSubject: Re: Ecu's and mapping??   Ecu's and mapping?? EmptyThu 20 Jun - 14:16

I think Andy Forrest does Opensource mapping, in fact I'm pretty certain he does. You could alway email him

Anyway, cost of buying an ECU and mapping it and just mapping your ECU, would cost you the price of the ECU on top of your map. Upwards of £800 for new ecu's
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ecu's and mapping??   Ecu's and mapping?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Ecu's and mapping??
Page 1 of 1