North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Engine rebuild costs... EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Engine rebuild costs... EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Engine rebuild costs... EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Engine rebuild costs... EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Engine rebuild costs... EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Engine rebuild costs... EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Engine rebuild costs... EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Engine rebuild costs... EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Engine rebuild costs... EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Engine rebuild costs...

Go down 
+2
hardy172
Geordie_Aaron
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Geordie_Aaron

Geordie_Aaron

Engine rebuild costs... Empty
PostSubject: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptySat 17 Sep - 19:37

Changed my woodruff key today and spent nearly an hour and a half getting the timing belt all lined up - eventually got it on then was time to test :-S
....now i rotated the crank through two full revolutions of the BELT and all was well, was quite stiff then would slacken off then stiffen up again ETC ETC (assuming the lobes on the cams yeah?) so then came the test..... primed the pump and sat there for 5 minutes absolutely shatting my kegs....double/triple checking that all the timing markers were lined up and they were - turned it over and an almighty BANG blew out the exhaust NOT the engine side.............. but this was enough to scare the shat out of me and ring Gipa with my tail between my legs lol

so best case....i'm a legend, done it right and it was just excess fuel cheers

worst case.... i'm a twat and haven't timed it right. Mad silent :>:S:

Now the car DIDN'T turn over IE run, literally made this bang out the exhaust and i killed the key.

How much would i be looking at best and worst scenario for a rebuild?? also name companies in the NE that could do this?? (assuming it would just be the heads would need building?)

Got to wait until the GNR has finished tomorrow to have Gipa have a spy and start it for real Neutral No
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Aaron.P85
hardy172

hardy172

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptySat 17 Sep - 21:24

Andy Kindon is prob ya best bet fella.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptySat 17 Sep - 23:15

Honestly depends on whats up with it mate. Could sit and list everything you'd need to build an engine from scratch as you dont know the problem but then it would depend on spec you wanted etc. Hopefully it'll just be something daft.
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptySun 18 Sep - 8:03

you will not have damaged the bottom end of the engine (the expensive bit) at worst you will have bent a couple of valves in the head if the cam timing was out.
the best case is you have timed it wrong but you have had no piston & valve contact.

a big pop out of the exhaust sounds to me like that is the case as the ignition will be going off at the incorrect time and igniting the fuel when the exhaust valve is open firing it down the exhaust.

My advice would be, let someone that knows what they are doing do it in future Laughing

it will be a lot cheaper in the long run matey!

Back to top Go down
Geordie_Aaron

Geordie_Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptySun 18 Sep - 9:07

Jonny Gav wrote:

My advice would be, let someone that knows what they are doing do it in future Laughing
it will be a lot cheaper in the long run matey!
Ahmen to that Rolling Eyes lol!

Was trying to save money with being made redundant and not starting new job until Oct 31st :-( hope it's not fooked, although you have stopped me filling me kegs every 2 minutes lol
Back to top Go down
Geordie_Aaron

Geordie_Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptySun 18 Sep - 18:42

OK - i've taken the belt off again but pulleys haven't been moved...
When i reference these pullies, its asif your stood infront of the car looking at the engine....
Hard to get a picture of the marks on this top-left...looks a TINY bit off
Engine rebuild costs... 000485b1
Crank - hard to get a head on picture because i have a DSLR and with the lens it's deep and doesn't fit between the crank & rad
Engine rebuild costs... Af0a9b80
top-right
Engine rebuild costs... 68f15545
bottom right
Engine rebuild costs... Ad23e812
Back to top Go down
Andy Kindon

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptySun 18 Sep - 23:30

yad be looking at anywhere from £550 to £800 depending on how many valves you have bent, its quite time consuming replacing the valves due to solid lifters, V4 sti uses shim under bucket lifters and these have to be correctly measured to a hundredth of a mm, then machined exact in order to get the right valve clearance, theres alot more to it than simply fitting new valve

Andy
Back to top Go down
Geordie_Aaron

Geordie_Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptyMon 19 Sep - 14:20

Cheers for the info Andy - thankfully i gave it another shot this morning and its running fine - still going to pay a pro to change the new belt though...just to be safe....lesson one learnt.
My arse is still putting like a dogs though lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptyMon 19 Sep - 14:24

The cam pulley will move when the belts taken off anyway due to compression. Hope its all okay bud.
Back to top Go down
Andy Kindon

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptyMon 19 Sep - 16:23

Yellowperil wrote:
The cam pulley will move when the belts taken off anyway due to compression. Hope its all okay bud.

an engine doesnt hold its compression when not running scratch cumon fella study lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptyMon 19 Sep - 18:03

So all the cams line up and match up their timing marks unaided or supported when the belt is off? scratch im talking compression not combustion Wink
Back to top Go down
FINN
Admin
FINN

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptyMon 19 Sep - 18:08

yellowperil its not compression what causes the tension on the cam pulleys Wink

try google before answering tech questions mate Laughing Laughing Laughing

bounce bounce bounce jocolor jocolor jocolor

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptyMon 19 Sep - 18:13

Ah fookin know its the springs, just winding Laughing

Cams would still move though
Back to top Go down
drew@drewsautos

drew@drewsautos

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptyMon 19 Sep - 18:38

its not the springs either yello pleb lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

its cos the valve buckets are sitting just on the rock of the cam lobes on the nearside only Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptyMon 19 Sep - 18:43

drew wrote:

its cos the valve buckets are sitting just on the rock of the cam lobes on the nearside only Razz

near the peak of the cam lobe on the yellow beast Wink . its the case on mine and various other cars ive changed timing belts on anyways so apologies for assuming it would be the same Smile

Last edited by Yellowperil on Tue 20 Sep - 1:48; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Andy Kindon

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptyMon 19 Sep - 21:43

compression lol, would be fun changing plugs lol!
Back to top Go down
Jonny Gav
Admin
Jonny Gav

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptyMon 19 Sep - 22:06

drew wrote:
its not the springs either yello pleb lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

FPMSL, I nearly fell of me chair laughing at that lol!
Back to top Go down
FINN
Admin
FINN

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptyMon 19 Sep - 23:09

Yellowperil wrote:
Okay well it is the case on mine and various other cars ive changed timing belts on so apologies for assuming it would be the same Smile
you keep forgetting peril, you own a NON TURBO..

you have 2 less cams...

you have no boost ????

well you tryed boost?? with spectacular outcome Laughing Laughing

but as normal you didnt listen too us lot???

cos we nar nowt dont we Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

but must agree your googling powers have been helpful in the past Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptyTue 20 Sep - 0:25

Theory valves should be open equally on mine when timed as a turbo though surely? Just duration being different when running scratch

Jeez! I have one blonde moment as you all jump on the band wagon! Will always admit im still learning Wink

Oh and btw, Jonny you can fookin pedal to the meet tomorrow now! Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptyTue 20 Sep - 1:51

FINN wrote:
you keep forgetting peril, you own a NON TURBO..

you have 2 less cams...

dont be taking the piss out of me having 2 less cams. atleast im relatively safe if me timing belt snaps Wink lol!
Back to top Go down
drew@drewsautos

drew@drewsautos

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... EmptyTue 20 Sep - 7:47

Yellowperil wrote:

Jeez! I have ONE blonde moment as you all jump on the band wagon! Will always admit im still learning Wink

Oh and btw, Jonny you can fookin pedal to the meet tomorrow now! Laughing

just spat me coffee all over the laptop pmsl
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine rebuild costs...   Engine rebuild costs... Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine rebuild costs...
Page 1 of 1